NEWS Dodgy Deal: Broncos accused of deception by Schoolboys captain

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Serious question, is a contract signed by a 16 year old without a rep even legally binding?
Read this:

Regardless, the whole story has a whiff about it. We're to understand he's refusing to come to training. You'd think if he were that keen to meet Kevvie, he could meet him there.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I bet Wayne met him…
Of course he did. Just like he met with Tom Dearden and his parents.

Tom's manager Sam Ayoub:

“When the Titans and Roosters came after Tom, Wayne Bennett was a massive factor in keeping Tommy at the Broncos. I remember the Titans tried to move heaven-and-earth to get Tom. He was on a basic Broncos scholarship in 2018 and the Titans‘ recruitment people saw Tom playing in the local area for Tweed and wanted to sign him."​
“In one game for Tweed, they scored 70 points and Tom scored five tries and had six try assists, everyone in the Gold Coast region knew he was something special. He attracted interest from the Roosters as well. It was around the time of the Queensland under-18s game and we set up a meeting with Tom‘s parents and the Roosters and they sent Andrew Johns along to talk to them."​
“Unfortunately, the Titans were struggling at the time and they weren‘t the club they are today. It was a few months before Mal Meninga came on board and Justin Holbrook hadn’t been signed as Titans coach. But Tom is a loyal kid and he really looked up to Wayne Bennett. His parents were inspired by what Wayne told them and he has a knack of being influential in keeping players at a club, so it was a coup for the Broncos.”​

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
This story, honestly, I don't know what to make of it, especially the Kevvie vector.

This forum has known Karl's name for some time, including that Wayne has made a play at him. The reason we know his name is because we pay attention to outstanding playmakers at schoolboy level. IIRC, his name firmed in the wake of losing Jye Grey to the Rabbitohs, on the back of losing Walker to the Roosters, admist speculation we'd lose Blake Mozer. Meanwhile, we took a bite out of Tom Dearden and spat him out.

Only a few weeks ago Karl shared the Justin Hodges medal (player of the year) in the - get this - Alfie Langer Cup.

The notion that our head coach, and Alfie himself, wouldn't be interested enough to make time to assure this kid he has a future, and that it requires some kind of apprenticeship, is frankly absurd, and if true, deeply troubling. Nurturing the future of the club, in particular identifying the playmakers who'll ultimately shape your entire structures is not only in the coach's best interest, the club's best interest, but is what lays the foundation for a kid's connection to the club.

He should've met Kevvie, Alfie, Reyno, Ezra and anyone else who could give him tips on how to get where he's wanting to go.

I am completely disgusted by this, but don't know where to aim my disgust: the kid for taking it to the media, or the club, for letting it fester to this point. Either way, Kevvie, lift your fucking game. You could have nipped this shit in the bud ages ago.

And take a selfie. Be the kid's hero. It might just pay off.

View attachment 20214
How can kevvie be blamed for this. I’m sorry but he gets 0 credit when it gets done well for the top squad let alone in the development ranks. Kevvie is so far out of that loop that I am certain that he was just never told. “I was told I could meet Kev” would imply Kev was not in the room. You seriously think a verbal promise would be relayed to Kev immediately regarding a 16/17 year old kid. Do I think he should have gotten his meeting with Kev, yes, but I’m not so sure we can take a few crocodile tears from Karl and call it Kev’s fault. Looks to me like Simon Scanlan probably has a few dirty tricks up his hand and he has completely cocked the future of this club up twice. At least one of Simon and Ikin had to be in there possibly both. They obviously chucked a line in there somewhere along the lines of “Oh and we will set you up to meet with Kev” them thinking oh yeah it’s just Kev cause they see him everyday but that kid would have been looking forward to that.

In saying that I think the only way you get the kid back onside is by letting the coaching staff play dumb, outline his future and tell him how much they want him. Appears the recruitment office won’t be able to do it so I reckon if they refuse releases than it comes down to Kev and his coaching staff, along with the players to win him over.

Regarding his top 30 spot I think that was astoundingly unrealistic. Even Blake Mozer had to do a year out of school in a development contract. I think that might have been a case of just misunderstanding or just straight lies to the Journo. His argument doesn’t sound as good if it is just he didn’t get to meet Kev and he signed a deal when he was not being managed.

I reckon for Karl’s sake he at the very least goes back to drawing board re-negotiates where in which he is playing. Get it back to 6/13 rather than 9/13 and play the pre-season. Have a year in mm and cup and then re-evaluate. At that point he will be going into top 30 he will probably be able to weigh up by then if there is a clear path to 6. If not he leaves or if he has truly grown to love the place I think it’s time he starts packing on a bit of weight (not to much) so that he can hold his own in the middle. That’s how I would be approaching it.

C

cento

QCup Player
Apr 3, 2014
If the club did everything right just let him sit on the side line for next 3 years I bet he will start Turing up to training very quickly if the club stuffed up should be granted release straight away

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
What a weird story, sounds to me like someone said earlier, he has a contract elsewhere, likely The, and he wants out to take it up. This is a terrible look for him and if it is true, whatever, let him leave. He might end up a superstar, he might not but no one is bigger than the club.

However, if what he is saying is true about Kevvie and false promises he was given and especially, the signing of a contract with no rep present, that is a huge issue that needs to be rectified.

Taking those three points one at a time:
1. Kevvie - He should be meeting every kid that comes through the club, even if it is just a hey, how's it going in a group style open day meet and greet. Who cares if the kid is super talented or not, this is just good practice and really doesn't take much to make it happen. Trent Robinson is famously good at doing exactly this.

That said, if this kid is being touted as a superstar, which he is, DEFINITELY Kevvie should be making time here! Lift your game mate, you are running the biggest NRL club in the world, this is part of your role.

2. False Promises - This isn't good if it is true but I am sure just about every club makes false promises. However, if the club did promise him a top 30 spot and starting 6, that person should be given their marching orders, this is not a way to cultivate a good attitude towards a club.

3. The Contract Method - If the club has done this again after the Walker fiasco, I'm sorry but this is almost unforgiveable and I say almost simply because I love the club and would never support anyone else. This would be the definition of stupidity and incompetence and whoever did it should be named, shamed and the club should distance themselves from this person / people. Again, this may not have happened given the questions about other claims but if it has, man I'd be ropeable and would be more than happy to support this kid going elsewhere.

Either way, this kid seems like he might be a bit of a jerk, or at least his manager is, and cutting the cord would be in the best interests of the club.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
What a weird story, sounds to me like someone said earlier, he has a contract elsewhere, likely The, and he wants out to take it up. This is a terrible look for him and if it is true, whatever, let him leave. He might end up a superstar, he might not but no one is bigger than the club.

However, if what he is saying is true about Kevvie and false promises he was given and especially, the signing of a contract with no rep present, that is a huge issue that needs to be rectified.

Taking those three points one at a time:
1. Kevvie - He should be meeting every kid that comes through the club, even if it is just a hey, how's it going in a group style open day meet and greet. Who cares if the kid is super talented or not, this is just good practice and really doesn't take much to make it happen. Trent Robinson is famously good at doing exactly this.

That said, if this kid is being touted as a superstar, which he is, DEFINITELY Kevvie should be making time here! Lift your game mate, you are running the biggest NRL club in the world, this is part of your role.

2. False Promises - This isn't good if it is true but I am sure just about every club makes false promises. However, if the club did promise him a top 30 spot and starting 6, that person should be given their marching orders, this is not a way to cultivate a good attitude towards a club.

3. The Contract Method - If the club has done this again after the Walker fiasco, I'm sorry but this is almost unforgiveable and I say almost simply because I love the club and would never support anyone else. This would be the definition of stupidity and incompetence and whoever did it should be named, shamed and the club should distance themselves from this person / people. Again, this may not have happened given the questions about other claims but if it has, man I'd be ropeable and would be more than happy to support this kid going elsewhere.

Either way, this kid seems like he might be a bit of a jerk, or at least his manager is, and cutting the cord would be in the best interests of the club.
He's a Redcliffe boy ( in terms of his development ) and he wants to play for the Dolphins. He didn't have the option when he signed for us of joing the NRL version of the Phins. At the same time, he has a contract and he should suck it up and stick to it if we want to hold him to it.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yes, either his ego has blown out of control or his manager has advised him to be such an arse the club rips up his contract and sacks him. Either way, it's hard to see this ending in him being our next five-eighth, especially when you look at the fallout from the Gamble fiasco.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I bet Wayne met him…

I bet he did too- Wayne's knowledge of players is unbelievable. But Wayne also surrounds himself with people below him that knows what he wants- Who is Karl's coach/teacher at Wavell- Mick Roberts- who played 253 games for the Dolphins- Mick Roberts- who is the Dolphins new development coach- Mick Roberts.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Your head coach doesn't have the time to meet every Year 11 coming through the club.

Yeah....I dunno, that sounds like a cop out.

This kid is the captain of the Australian school boys isn't he? There should have been a way to find 5 mins to say g'day.

Weird story......even if parts of it are true, it sounds like a complete and utter cluster ****

Active Now

• Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Justwin
  • Redux
  • Twopoints
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Kev_Guz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Tmac
  • Morepudding
  • Stix
  • PETERN
  • Bucking Beads
  • jarro65
  • KickHaas
  • Alec
  • johnyE
  • MrRobot
  • Battler
... and 41 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.