NEWS Dodgy Deal: Broncos accused of deception by Schoolboys captain

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
He has to go to training doesn't he and it has to be communicated to Kevvie doesn't it.

Chicken or the egg .
He isn`t training because he hasn`t met Kevie . So get along to training and you never know . A conversation might break out .

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Chicken or the egg .
He isn`t training because he hasn`t met Kevie . So get along to training and you never know . A conversation might break out .
Chicken sandwich, according to the story..

In all seriousness though, regardless of what was promised or should've happened, the Broncos need to put an arm around this young bloke, make him feel valued and map out a pathway for him to first grade. It doesn't matter if we're talking about the Australian Schoolboys captain or someone far less talented, the club should be (and hopefully already is) caring about every young player in their system and making them feel like they have a potential future there, if they're prepared to work hard.
Even for the ones who don't eventually make it, you at least want them leaving on good terms. Stories like this one and re Sam Walker are damaging.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Chicken or the egg .
You saying Kevvie is chickening out?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

In all seriousness though, regardless of what was promised or should've happened, the Broncos need to put an arm around this young bloke, make him feel valued and map out a pathway for him to first grade. It doesn't matter if we're talking about the Australian Schoolboys captain or someone far less talented, the club should be (and hopefully already is) caring about every young player in their system and making them feel like they have a potential future there, if they're prepared to work hard.
Even for the ones who don't eventually make it, you at least want them leaving on good terms. Stories like this one and re Sam Walker are damaging.
Exactly. It's supposed to feel like a CLUB.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He talks to people who talk to people who work with rugby league professionals. I seriously doubt there's any benefit for people who are actually involved with the clubs to discuss matters with the media. These guys are laughed at by those who matter, manipulated and used by player managers. They're leaches.

They hang around after the interviews chatting amongst themselves, fabricating whatever they think will get clicks on their blog. I know you idolize these people, but they very rarely add anything positive to our sport and often bring the game into disrepute themselves. They use lingo that allows them to be wrong so they can fall back on "it was a whisper" or "things change". It's a joke and defending them is embarrassing.
Another bonus of choosing not to read sports reporting is you don't have to learn to read.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Of course he did. Just like he met with Tom Dearden and his parents.

Tom's manager Sam Ayoub:

“When the Titans and Roosters came after Tom, Wayne Bennett was a massive factor in keeping Tommy at the Broncos. I remember the Titans tried to move heaven-and-earth to get Tom. He was on a basic Broncos scholarship in 2018 and the Titans‘ recruitment people saw Tom playing in the local area for Tweed and wanted to sign him."​
“In one game for Tweed, they scored 70 points and Tom scored five tries and had six try assists, everyone in the Gold Coast region knew he was something special. He attracted interest from the Roosters as well. It was around the time of the Queensland under-18s game and we set up a meeting with Tom‘s parents and the Roosters and they sent Andrew Johns along to talk to them."​
“Unfortunately, the Titans were struggling at the time and they weren‘t the club they are today. It was a few months before Mal Meninga came on board and Justin Holbrook hadn’t been signed as Titans coach. But Tom is a loyal kid and he really looked up to Wayne Bennett. His parents were inspired by what Wayne told them and he has a knack of being influential in keeping players at a club, so it was a coup for the Broncos.”​
It was a joke - phins are trying to poach him, hence the request for release, and when denied, the sob story in the media about the poor naïve Samoan boy.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Seems like a very highly strung individual .

"My dream for as long as I can remember has been to play NRL and I have shed a lot of tears over how things have ended up… probably too many tears," Oloapu told Wide World of Sports.

Then the article goes on to say he signed a 3 year contract in January . So he knew very well the Dolphins were going to be a thing . So the Redcliffe kid who signed without knowing is incorrect .

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/fc0ee1d5-93cd-40e5-9be5-a8a59762dbe1

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
For those who have seen him, is he a running half or does he have a smart kicking game. We already have a young running half that is doing well in the NRL, we need someone in the mould of Reynolds who makes good decisions instead of being naturally gifted and not knowing how to get us out of trouble.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It was a joke - phins are trying to poach him, hence the request for release, and when denied, the sob story in the media about the poor naïve Samoan boy.
Samoan boys are prone to getting ripped off. Look at poor Anthony Milford.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
What a weird story, sounds to me like someone said earlier, he has a contract elsewhere, likely The, and he wants out to take it up. This is a terrible look for him and if it is true, whatever, let him leave. He might end up a superstar, he might not but no one is bigger than the club.

However, if what he is saying is true about Kevvie and false promises he was given and especially, the signing of a contract with no rep present, that is a huge issue that needs to be rectified.

Taking those three points one at a time:
1. Kevvie - He should be meeting every kid that comes through the club, even if it is just a hey, how's it going in a group style open day meet and greet. Who cares if the kid is super talented or not, this is just good practice and really doesn't take much to make it happen. Trent Robinson is famously good at doing exactly this.

That said, if this kid is being touted as a superstar, which he is, DEFINITELY Kevvie should be making time here! Lift your game mate, you are running the biggest NRL club in the world, this is part of your role.

2. False Promises - This isn't good if it is true but I am sure just about every club makes false promises. However, if the club did promise him a top 30 spot and starting 6, that person should be given their marching orders, this is not a way to cultivate a good attitude towards a club.

3. The Contract Method - If the club has done this again after the Walker fiasco, I'm sorry but this is almost unforgiveable and I say almost simply because I love the club and would never support anyone else. This would be the definition of stupidity and incompetence and whoever did it should be named, shamed and the club should distance themselves from this person / people. Again, this may not have happened given the questions about other claims but if it has, man I'd be ropeable and would be more than happy to support this kid going elsewhere.

Either way, this kid seems like he might be a bit of a jerk, or at least his manager is, and cutting the cord would be in the best interests of the club.

Doesn`t add up to me .

He says he was "between " managers and went in to say hello with his brother Joe .
They threw a 60 page contract at him and told him he had to sign it . Then they gave him a chicken sandwich and left . No Bull sh1t a chicken sandwich !

I blame Joe .

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yeah....I dunno, that sounds like a cop out.

This kid is the captain of the Australian school boys isn't he? There should have been a way to find 5 mins to say g'day.

Weird story......even if parts of it are true, it sounds like a complete and utter cluster ****

Let's just stop for a second.

Karl is still at school for a few weeks, he played MM this year and school football, Queensland and Australia- went to Fiji as co-captain of the side.

He's been locked up earlier this year and been allowed to play out with his mates with as little disruption as possible.

Mozer didn't train until he'd finished school and then started training one day a week on Fridays 12 months ago- was allowed to go to Schoolies.

Played MM this year and Queensland and then started full time training in the New Year-18/1 and played ISC games and was locked up for three years.

The same people that were caring and slow with Mozer, letting him commute from the Coast stay at home, ease into it and now part of the top 30.

Those same people said hate you Karl you're not allowed near Kevvie ever here have a chicken sandwich and shut up.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
For those who have seen him, is he a running half or does he have a smart kicking game. We already have a young running half that is doing well in the NRL, we need someone in the mould of Reynolds who makes good decisions instead of being naturally gifted and not knowing how to get us out of trouble.

Big body that runs and passes, thinks quick and moves quick. Good defender. Queensland had Gray as captain and 6 so had to get him in at 13 so he can mix it up. Runs like a lock but passes like a 6.

Nothing like Reynolds.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Why would any NRL club even offer Tesi a contract he`s not up to 1st grade NRL standard ??
Maybe Super League ?

It's reassuring to know that you have finally seen the light.......

Active Now

• Redux
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • johnyE
  • Morepudding
  • Justwin
  • mrslong
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Ozired
  • KickHaas
  • Battler
  • Twopoints
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Rah88
  • Fatboy
  • Alec
  • Evander
... and 41 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.