NEWS Dodgy Deal: Broncos accused of deception by Schoolboys captain

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I think if he genuinely wanted to leave there are better ways of doing it than taking the Payne Haas method. I cant see the point of keeping an unhappy player and if we could work something out and he turns into a star and wants to come back at some point no bridges would have been burnt.

He might well feel he has been hard done by, but it seems he has had bad advice from somewhere and he just has to live with it and learn from it.
Nope no more of this “do the best thing for the player and hope one day they come back”. We always do this and it gets us nowhere. He plays or he sits on the sideline and be a cautionary tale for the next piece of shit that wants to pull this garbage.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Nope no more of this “do the best thing for the player and hope one day they come back”. We always do this and it gets us nowhere. He plays or he sits on the sideline and be a cautionary tale for the next piece of shit that wants to pull this garbage.
Doesn't really help anyone having a player who doesn't want to be here.

I don't think it's a matter of hoping they might come back down the track, more if they want a move in the future if they do leave and It's all been amicable it puts you in with a better chance. Problem is now he hasn't gone about it the right way.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
We can take a stand all we want, but if his attitude continues it's only a matter of time until he becomes an unnecessary distraction.

That's not going to be good for us.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I don't think it's a matter of hoping they might come back down the track, more if they want a move in the future if they do leave and It's all been amicable it puts you in with a better chance. Problem is now he hasn't gone about it the right way.
The other side of the argument is that it'd make the Broncos push-overs. They had to eat crow on the Walsh situation but now they have to put their foot down.

This isn't some typical situation like some are painting it as. Oloapu is asking for a release 1 year into a 3 year deal. It isn't like this is his 3rd and final year and he's committed elsewhere so would rather start early. Long term decisions were made around this player - others who had time and resources invested in were let go after a decision was made and now he wants to turn it against the club?

It's not right and just because the Dolphins find themselves in an unenviable position doesn't mean they can flout the rules.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
It's in relation to Deine Mariner who has requested a release to join the 'Phins.
What the f*** you slimy old fox? Your Fins are bound to fail miserably for the foreseeable future.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Donuts knows what he is doing.
If there was anything illegal or dodgy happening, i don't think Dave would have put his foot down emphatically denying a release.

Sounds to me like a case of a sketchy manager filling the kids head with dreams of meeting blokes like Uncle Nick on the golf course and pumping up the hype surrounding him because he is playing good footy at a young age (remember Milford?).
Now he wants to test himself on the open market and do a Suaalli.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
You would hope the clubs would contact each other regarding these amateur players managers and send a polite group message telling them that if they don’t respect contracts and rules (ie Haas, Mariner, Braith, Karl) then teams will refuse to deal with them in the future.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019

Time for these kids to learn some tough life lessons.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The other side of the argument is that it'd make the Broncos push-overs. They had to eat crow on the Walsh situation but now they have to put their foot down.

This isn't some typical situation like some are painting it as. Oloapu is asking for a release 1 year into a 3 year deal. It isn't like this is his 3rd and final year and he's committed elsewhere so would rather start early. Long term decisions were made around this player - others who had time and resources invested in were let go after a decision was made and now he wants to turn it against the club?

It's not right and just because the Dolphins find themselves in an unenviable position doesn't mean they can flout the rules.
I dont think they should release him unless we can come to an agreement, I've said as much. Any contract break should be a mutual thing but the Broncos can hardly take the high ground in that regard when you look at how we have pushed some contracted players out of the door over the last few years.

I still think it's naive though people think players getting tapped up is something exclusive to the Dolphins. We have done is for years and so has every other team in the comp.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He doesn't need to be on site for the media to make it a distraction.

How though? He isn’t part of the main group, it’s early in the off-season and he’s the one being made to look bad in this, not the club who has come out and debunked everything he’s claimed.

Look at how the club handled Haas as well, holding him to his contract and having been proven to have upgraded his contract before all that went down in good faith without having too, the club is coming out of this looking great.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I dont think they should release him unless we can come to an agreement, I've said as much. Any contract break should be a mutual thing but the Broncos can hardly take the high ground in that regard when you look at how we have pushed some contracted players out of the door over the last few years.

I still think it's naive though people think players getting tapped up is something exclusive to the Dolphins. We have done is for years and so has every other team in the comp.

Nk doubt this is true but if The was wanting to make enemies of us Broncs fans, they’ve gone about it the right way.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I asked him and he said 100% born in New Zealand.

But what would he know.

Wiki says Mariner is a Kiwi .
But his family were saying he`s Samoan . Lots of folks move to New Zealand from Pacific Islands . They still identify as culturally from that Island not NZ ...

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Foordy
  • FACTHUNT
  • LittleDavey
  • Big Del
  • Johnny92
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Bongo
  • Alec
  • Fozz
  • Financeguy
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.