OPINION Dream Team

As far as actual players go, you could mount a decent argument that with no Wally, you probably don't get the Broncos as we know them.
Yep, these two are what we are sorely missing right now.

4381858 3x2 940x627

serious question, was Wal even good for us?

Wal as in Wally, that could have been confusing 😂
Not as good as he was prior to broncos coming in or during origin. I don't have Wally in our best team based on his time with the club. However, i think he is the best player who has ever spent time at our club, and the best player i have ever seen

serious question, was Wal even good for us?

Wal as in Wally, that could have been confusing 😂

I think he was important to our early days because it gave us instant credibility among players we were looking to recruit (especially Queenslanders)...

in terms of purely what we got on the field, he wouldn't make our greatest ever side IMO

I think he was important to our early days because it gave us instant credibility among players we were looking to recruit (especially Queenslanders)...

in terms of purely what we got on the field, he wouldn't make our greatest ever side IMO
Your first point is the one that really drives home what Wally meant to the Broncos. It gave the players and the Brisbane public the first loud and clear message that the Broncos meant business.

Not just instant credibility amongst the players, but the game up here as a whole. Queensland despise everything down south and the thought of a NSW expansion side based out of Queensland was seen by the public and the QRL as a death sentence to the Brisbane Competition. To be fair it definitely had a negative effect but what a lot of people at the time didn't factor in was the Brisbane competition was destined to end up that way anyway. Top line players were heading down south for more money and what was regarded a higher standard competition. Wally and Miles came very close to playing for Manly before they would eventually play for the Broncos.

Wally sums it up here

Last edited:
Disagree: the Langer/Lewis combo was the gold standard in halves. It mightn't have translated into a Premiership at the time, but if we had them as our spine instead of ([insert name here] and Boyd, we'd be unstoppable.
[automerge]1572568023[/automerge]
Not just instant credibility amongst the players, but the game up here as a whole. Queensland despise everything down south and the thought of a NSW expansion side based out of Queensland was seen by the public and the QRL as a death sentence to the Brisbane Competition. To be fair it definitely had a negative effect but what a lot of people at the time didn't factor in was the Brisbane competition was destined to end up that way anyway. Top line players were heading down south for more money and what was regarded a higher standard competition. Wally and Miles came very close to playing for Manly before they would eventually play for the Broncos.

Wally sums it up here

Indeed. Lest we forget Miles, Dowling, Matterson, etc.

Last edited:
Matterson and Johns were outstanding signings at the time, flew under the radar down south but turned out to be what I would rate as up there with the best value to quality ratio signings the club ever made, they were never on big contracts but they offered so much.

Disagree: the Langer/Lewis combo was the gold standard in halves. It mightn't have translated into a Premiership at the time, but if we had them as our spine instead of ([insert name here] and Boyd, we'd be unstoppable.
I disagree. For me the gold standard in Halves at the Broncos was Langer and Walters. They could rightly be considered amongst the gold standard in Halves in the modern era.

Last edited:

IMO, the spine of our best ever team is:

1. Lockyer
6. Walters
7. Langer
9. Walters

I don't think Wally would make our best ever lock ... maybe a bench position at best

Matterson and Johns were outstanding signings at the time, flew under the radar down south but turned out to be what I would rate as up there with the best value to quality ratio signings the club ever made, they were never on big contracts but they offered so much.
Johns in the context of his entire affiliation with us definitely proved to be one of the best acquisitions we ever made in my opinion.

Matterson was the best Lock I think we ever had until Parker came along.

Can a mod split this discussion into its own thread please?
Yeah I think it's probably getting way out of line of the original thread (and I contributed to that).

I disagree. For me the gold standard in Halves at the Broncos was Langer and Walters. They could rightly be considered amongst the gold standard in Halves in the modern era.
You could argue that they had the better sides compared to the Lewis/ Langer era.
Lockyer, renouf , webby , lazo .......
They're greats of the game but also had a great team that seemed to get better.

You could argue that they had the better sides compared to the Lewis/ Langer era.
Lockyer, renouf , webby , lazo .......
They're greats of the game but also had a great team that seemed to get better.
The sides Lewis and Langer played together with at the Broncos were hardly made up of slouches though.

You're also forgetting the big variable in this discussion:

It's on the surface a comparison of Lewis/Langer vs Walters/Langer.

But to be fair what you're really comparing is Lewis/Young Langer vs Walters/ Older Langer at the peak of his powers, so for mine, that really tips the balance in favour of the Walters/Langer combination.

Last edited:
I feel that..

2015 GF was like no loss I had ever had in my entire life, I just sat there staring at the TV for like 30 mins after I turned it off.

Yep. I was at the stadium and just sat there staring blankly for I don’t no now how long. Just numb.

This is probably going to get some criticism, but i'm basing this off what I think would actually be the best current team, if they played in todays game, not just best for their era.

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. JYY
3. Renouf
4. Hodges
5. Falou
6. Lockyer
7. Alfie
8. Webcke
9. Walters
10. Lazarus
11. Tallis
12. Thorn
13. Parker
14. Berrigan
15. Carrol
16. Thaiday
17. Haas (very contentious i know, but honestly his stats are extraordinary)

This is probably going to get some criticism, but i'm basing this off what I think would actually be the best current team, if they played in todays game, not just best for their era.

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. JYY
3. Renouf
4. Hodges
5. Falou
6. Lockyer
7. Alfie
8. Webcke
9. Walters
10. Lazarus
11. Tallis
12. Thorn
13. Parker
14. Berrigan
15. Carrol
16. Thaiday
17. Haas (very contentious i know, but honestly his stats are extraordinary)
What, no Boyd?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Old Mate
  • Morepudding
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.