14. S.Berrigan
15. Civoniceva
16. Thaiday
17. Carroll

18. Gillett
19. JYY/Tate/Tuqiri
20. Tuqiri/JYY/Tate
21. Walters/Lewis

Reed's reaction is my favorite part of this. That and the bewildered shrug Matt gives once he's off the field.
I like Wally, just copies what Gould says but in different words.

Yep, Gillett is the very opposite of Mr Itsjustagame.
When you think about killing yourself every day and realise what is actually important to you, rugby league really is "just a game". **** him for thinking his mental health is more important right? **** off with this out of context quote already.

"I used to do the opposite six years ago and look at social media when I was going through some struggles with mental health," Boyd said.
"I was reading everything which is the worst thing that you can do.
"I learned that it is only a game. And I learned I just have to please my teammates, myself and my coach - that's all I can do."

In fact, I'd suggest a best of squad is something like:

1. Lockyer (c)
2. Tate/JYY/Tuqiri
3. Renouf
4. Hodges
5. Sailor
6. Lewis/Walters
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Priddis/K.Walters
10. Lazarus
11. Tallis (vc)
12. Thorn
13. Parker

14. S.Berrigan
15. Civoniceva
16. Thaiday
17. Carroll

18. Gillett
19. JYY/Tate/Tuqiri
20. Tuqiri/JYY/Tate
21. Walters/Lewis

he could replace any of the bench outside of Petero as well

Back on topic ...
just listening to Dobbo interview Matt on triple m and apparently the NRL have already acknowledged its a new injury and his contract won’t be counted in the cap.

When you think about killing yourself every day and realise what is actually important to you, rugby league really is "just a game". **** him for thinking his mental health is more important right? **** off with this out of context quote already.

"I used to do the opposite six years ago and look at social media when I was going through some struggles with mental health," Boyd said.
"I was reading everything which is the worst thing that you can do.
"I learned that it is only a game. And I learned I just have to please my teammates, myself and my coach - that's all I can do."

What the ****?

He didn't play like 'it's just a game' this year - he played like he didn't give a **** what the result was.

If it's just a game for the captain, primary senior player in the team - then RETIRE!

What's important at the end of the day for Boyd is money. Obvious at this point.

What was the point of this post? It's not like he would be destitute without playing rugby league.
[automerge]1572510325[/automerge]
Back on topic ...
just listening to Dobbo interview Matt on triple m and apparently the NRL have already acknowledged its a new injury and his contract won’t be counted in the cap.

Hope so, but remains to be seen.

Last edited:
What the ****?

He didn't play like 'it's just a game' this year - he played like he didn't give a **** what the result was.

If it's just a game for the captain, primary senior player in the team - then RETIRE!

What's important at the end of the day for Boyd is money. Obvious at this point.

What was the point of this post? It's not like he would be destitute without playing rugby league.

He showed his true colours when he was adamant that his form was good this year, there was 2-3 separate interviews where he was asked about his own form, at no point did he take any of the blame or admit he was out of form. Not sure if that means he's delusional or just genuinely doesn't care anymore, but it's likely one of those two.

In fact, I'd suggest a best of squad is something like:

1. Lockyer (c)
2. Tate/JYY/Tuqiri
3. Renouf
4. Hodges
5. Sailor
6. Lewis/Walters
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Priddis/K.Walters
10. Lazarus
11. Tallis (vc)
12. Thorn
13. Parker

14. S.Berrigan
15. Civoniceva
16. Thaiday
17. Carroll

18. Gillett
19. JYY/Tate/Tuqiri
20. Tuqiri/JYY/Tate
21. Walters/Lewis
Wally 6 , Walters 14 . As much as I loved berro he just misses out.

Wally 6 , Walters 14 . As much as I loved berro he just misses out.

serious question, was Wal even good for us?

Wal as in Wally, that could have been confusing 😂

Last edited:
Wally was outstanding in 1988 and 1989(his sacking as captain wasn't form based), hampered in 1990 because of injuries though. Personally of the two Walters wins(you have to remember this guy was the perfect partner for Langer, withstood a hell of a lot of pressure in 1990 taking Wally's spot at 5/8th and helped guide the Broncos to 5 premierships) if it comes to career while at the Broncos IMO then I'd pick Walters on that basis at 5/8th and Wally at lock(Lewis did play lock in 88 and 89 at various times and would have been equally good in 1990 there if not for the injuries).

Last edited:
This thread really shouldn't turn into another one of these threads. It's not the same situation at all. It's just unnecessary.

For years Gillett was the player I'd least like to run it straight at. He folded people over regularly and just looked like he hurt people. I'd love to see a highlight reel involving some of those tackles. They'd be more difficult to find than the tries or tries he was involved in but it was a major part of his game. Sad day
Not sure you actually read my comment. I have nothing but praise for Gillette. My point was he is calling time on a great career that was going backward unlike Boyd who despite performing poorly is all about milking every last dollar when he would have to know his level is currently rubbish. Matty was a legend for sure and yes was a wonderful hitter.

Last edited:

Wal as in Wally, that could have been confusing 😂
Tremendous player, perhaps the best there ever was. He did plenty during his short time at Brisbane but I don't think anyone would argue he played his best footy before he ever got to wear our jersey.

Tremendous player, perhaps the best there ever was. He did plenty during his short time at Brisbane but I don't think anyone would argue he played his best footy before he ever got to wear our jersey.

Yeah no doubt, I always assumed he wasn’t great for us as he got moved on. From a purely statistical standpoint I’d find it impossible to pick him over a 5 time premiership player when picking a best ever broncos team.

Last edited:
Yeah no doubt, I always assumed he wasn’t great for us as he got moved on. From a purely statistical standpoint I’d find it impossible to pick him over a 5 time premiership player when picking a best ever broncos team.
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. No doubt at all that Walters is well in front of Wally in terms of his Broncos deeds. I think Wally was definitely a better player, but Kevvie was definitely the better Bronco.

It's harder to dig up much of his Valleys footage but there is heaps of Wally at the Seagulls on Youtube. If you do get a chance to watch it, it's terrific viewing. He's hard to compare because I haven't really seen anyone else like him but I guess imagine if you had JT's sheer willingness to win and ability to sniff out a winning play combined with also being physically a major handful as well.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. No doubt at all that Walters is well in front of Wally in terms of his Broncos deeds. I think Wally was definitely a better player, but Kevvie was definitely the better Bronco.

It's harder to dig up much of his Valleys footage but there is heaps of Wally at the Seagulls on Youtube. If you do get a chance to watch it, it's terrific viewing. He's hard to compare because I haven't really seen anyone else like him but I guess imagine if you had JT's sheer willingness to win and ability to sniff out a winning play combined with also being physically a major handful as well.

Last edited:
Wally was the best rugby player of any code I have ever seen. No one before or since had his presence on the field. We got him way past his prime, but he was still the flagship signing who laid the foundations that build the club. The same can't be said for his Gold Coast legacy.

Without detracting from Matt, the Broncos have had a ton of playes of his calibre. We would be here all day recalling them. That's what makes the Broncos such a great club.

Last edited:
Wally was the best rugby player of any code I have ever seen. No one before or since had his presence on the field. We got him way past his prime, but he was still the flagship signing who laid the foundations that build the club. The same can't be said for his Gold Coast legacy.
As far as actual players go, you could mount a decent argument that with no Wally, you probably don't get the Broncos as we know them.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Porthoz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bongo
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • The True King
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.