Drifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say people in the highest offices of this country are against drifting.

I have never done drifting, nor do I intend to, simply because it doesn't interest me.

What I will argue, is that motorsport is not a sport. Arguably, the mechanics and engineers deserve more praise than they get, but you'd be a fool to think that driving a high powered machine at break neck speeds, doesn't require as much training, talent, physical prowess and stamina as any other sport!

And if you don't believe me, try going round a Go Kart track for half an hour, while trying to improve you lap time continuously.
Multiply that tenfold, and you'll get an idea about what a F1 pilot goes through in a GP.

I have never done drifting, nor do I intend to, simply because it doesn't interest me.

What I will argue, is that motorsport is not a sport. Arguably, the mechanics and engineers deserve more praise than they get, but you'd be a fool to think that driving a high powered machine at break neck speeds, doesn't require as much training, talent, physical prowess and stamina as any other sport!

And if you don't believe me, try going round a Go Kart track for half an hour, while trying to improve you lap time continuously.
Multiply that tenfold, and you'll get an idea about what a F1 pilot goes through in a GP.

Good analogy.......I agree.

These guys are professionals......there are fit (they have to be) and they train hard. Not only is it physically draining, the personal sacrifice and mental concentration required to compete at a high level is the same for any professional sports person.

If you watched Australia's Greatest Athlete and even though it is a very small percentage of Australian athletes. V8 drivers on the show handled themselves very well with other elite sportsmen in regards to fitness with the skill games they did.

Last edited:
True. They came 8th in most events. (there were 8 competitors).

Motor sport isn't sport.

sport
   [spawrt, spohrt] Show IPA
noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

Every single definition of sport includes motor racing as a sport. Cycling not a sport ??Horse racing not a sport ? I suppose those of you who deny motor racing is a sport could be right although it appears the rest of the world thinks it is. Weird how the results of the major racing events are broadcast on FoxSports and motor racing is listed as a sport. I suppose they are all wrong too.

sport
   [spawrt, spohrt] Show IPA
noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

Every single definition of sport includes motor racing as a sport. Cycling not a sport ??Horse racing not a sport ? I suppose those of you who deny motor racing is a sport could be right although it appears the rest of the world thinks it is. Weird how the results of the major racing events are broadcast on FoxSports and motor racing is listed as a sport. I suppose they are all wrong too.

By sheer definition yes motor sport is a sport. By sheer definition a lot of stuff is a sport including poker, chess space travel and even sex, but I guarantee no one is representing Australia in f***ing.

I don't deny that you must be highly skillful and fit to do what they do but the fact is so much of the success of that sport depends on the engineers and mechanics, so for that reason I personally can not class it as a 'sport' in the same classification as other sports, I do not dispute that others will class driving as a sport

Do you reckon cycling is a sport ? What about football ? So much depends on physios trainers coaches ? Not putting your opinion down but what about those I just mentioned ? I'd say most people would define chess as a pastime or simply a game, same as poker. What about darts, same as chess for me. The truth is the line is so blurred that there is no totally clear definition of what constitutes a sport so by that reasoning, motor racing is entitled to be labelled a sport. The fact that it attracts the highest spectator viewing of any event outside the 4yearly Olympics lends credibility to its claim.

You could be fat and completely unfit - ie, not the least bit athletic - and still participate in motor sport and if you had a good car and support team, you could do very well.

By definition, it's not an athletic endeavour. Therefore, not a sport. Neither is horse racing (being a midget with a sense of balance who can ride a horse does not make one athletic).

Cycling is an athletic endeavour.

Hell, I don't count surfing as a sport but it at least satisfies the athletic endeavour definition. (I don't count it as a sport because it relies on weirdo judging for points to make it legitimate, when really the only factor is "whoa").

Motor Racing is a sport IMO.

Just quoting you here Coxy...You could be fat and completely unfit - ie, not the least bit athletic - and still participate in motor sport and if you had a good car and support team, you could do very well.
By definition, it's not an athletic endeavour. Therefore, not a sport.

So, can you enter a cycling event even if you are fat and out of condition, or are those less athletic types barred ? Not trying to change your opinion,to which you are entitled, but being athletic hardly seems to be an appropriate criterion for deciding if something is a sport or not.

Just quoting you here Coxy...You could be fat and completely unfit - ie, not the least bit athletic - and still participate in motor sport and if you had a good car and support team, you could do very well.
By definition, it's not an athletic endeavour. Therefore, not a sport.

So, can you enter a cycling event even if you are fat and out of condition, or are those less athletic types barred ? Not trying to change your opinion,to which you are entitled, but being athletic hardly seems to be an appropriate criterion for deciding if something is a sport or not.

You could certainly participate in a cycling event as a fat, unfit person, but you'd suck.
You could conceivably win a motor race even if you're as fat as Homer Simpson.

And that you think my reasons for forming my opinion are crap, and therefore that my opinion IS crap, is noted.

Huh ? I did not say anything about it being crap. I respected your right to hold an opinion as is appropriate. I only said athleticism did not seem like an appropriate measure. No offence was intended nor was it a slight on you. A simple difference of opinion is all it is. Nothing more, nothing less. Healthy for a good forum. In the sport of boxing I have seen seemingly unfit/fat men win legitimate world titles primarily because they had a murderous right or left hook and the contest was decided early. Once again, all deference to your counter view.

You could be fat and completely unfit - ie, not the least bit athletic - and still participate in motor sport and if you had a good car and support team, you could do very well.

By definition, it's not an athletic endeavour. Therefore, not a sport. Neither is horse racing (being a midget with a sense of balance who can ride a horse does not make one athletic).

Cycling is an athletic endeavour.

Hell, I don't count surfing as a sport but it at least satisfies the athletic endeavour definition. (I don't count it as a sport because it relies on weirdo judging for points to make it legitimate, when really the only factor is "whoa").
That's total BS mate, there is NO way in hell an unfit person, much less a fat one, could be competitive in motorsport, be it bike or car racing, unless it's a drag race or a very short race. I have done some Go Kart and Rally racing at amateur level, and I know what I'm talking about.

A F1 driver can loose up to 5 Kgs of weight during a single race, I wonder how that happens...? :001_rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.