Drifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I've watched people drifting their cars on TV and on YouTube but never got it. I couldn't see what the use of it would be, afterall I reasoned if you had a car that could go that hard you'd be best off using it to race around a track in a regulation race. Well today I got the chance to see them up close.

What a revelation !!... I spent the day at Willowbank (QR) watching them go through their paces and was blown away.The speeds they hit going into the drift was amazing and the sheer grunt of the different cars surprised the hell out of me. There were heaps of different makes and models and I was able to get real close to the action. The reason I was there really was to help a mate who was running the event. My friend gave me a job on track as a marshal and I was responsible for releasing each car at the start of their run.

After a few hours I was offered a ride in one of the A graders cars. It was a late model Commodore that had had an enormous amount of modifications done to it. Incredible suspension and an engine producing better than 500bhp. This was a purpose built drifter driven by a genuine expert wheelman. Launching off the line it buried me in the seat before hitting the first corner at a speed I never believed possible, well the speed was believable but I gave us no chance of actually getting even a quarter of the way around the corner. Needless to say old mate got us round and on track no less. The next 5 corners were no different and we landed back on the straight. He continued up to the start line again and as we approached he asked me would I like to go again. Well, the last time I was that enthusiastic about a second go was when I lost my virginity !! Hell yeah I yelled. Knowing what to expect and with renewed confidence in my pilot I enjoyed the second time even more than the first.

So now I get it !! I won't forget it anytime soon and what was even more amazing, it was all done under lights.What a car, what a driver,brilliant fun.

I personally think drifting is ridiculous. I don't like it, and I never have. To each their own.

damnant quod non intelligunt

You're telling me that I don't understand cars?

Oh my, you clearly know me well, know my interests, and know what I do. I can't be bothered finding a facepalm image, but yeah, you're deserving of one, so find one you like.

lol....face palm....you don't like it and think it ridiculous. This, after you having done it yourself I assume. I say you must have drifted because assuming you tried it, and given your love of cars, your position would make you a most unusual car enthusiast.

I could understand indifference but such a strong response amazes. Unless of course you just wanted to be a wanker and write something that was belligerent.

I hate soccer. I've never played it. Does that mean I'm not allowed to hate it?

O No Coxy...you are a different case altogether. You are the boss and are allowed to hate whatever you like !!..Whereas nashy is a simple acolyte and subject to completely different rules lol !! I have played soccer and know dam well that you have too. Alright ,not an official game or under any organized structure but I know you have kicked a ball around. Even if you deny having played a bit of soccer with your friends I won't believe you and nor would most ! I hate soccer too, primarily because they are primadonnas and I like contact sports more.

Nice talking with you again !

I threw a stick as a spear once. I'm not going to claim I've done javelin

Tried to drift my first car around a bend on a dirt road once. Ending well... Can't understand turds who spends thousands of $$$ trying to make their car drift. Wouldn't class it as a sport even. Just another douchebag convention IMO.

Dafuq is up CF's arse?

LOL...I had a great day, a new experience and shared the experience..and the haters lined up. WTF is wrong with you lot. The thousands who were there were having a great time and I witnessed people interacting and sharing a fun time. Why bother responding unless you wanted to attack me ? For a copper you should know better browny..I had never seen the drifters doing their thing and it was very interesting to a motorsport fan such as myself,I can't for the life of me think why it should be so offensive to people like you. These people are doing it legally and safely instead of on our cities streets. One other thing, they were respectful and very well mannered and followed the safety instructions brilliantly. If you don't like what I've written, do something else other than put shit on someone who was actually praising the youth of today.

I've driven around corners before. I can take it or leave it.

I've never seen people illegally drift. I think it is offensive to real sportsmen that people call driving a car a sport.

Real sportsmen...driving a car is not a sport and calling it one is offensive..amazing.I guess all those people at Bathurst at this moment would all agree, they are not watching a sport. They'd probably be offended if I called it a sport, right ? Casey Stoner is not a sportsman nor is Marcos Ambrose. Mark Webber is not a sportsman either. I better look up the definition of sport then.

The mechanics are more skilful than the drivers

Compound fracture I didn't attack you. I merely asked what is up your arse?

you have been attacking, insulting and deriding other posters on several threads. Now I'm all for difference of opinion as evidenced on this forum on several epic threads ie criminal rehabilitation.

It appears you have your cranky pants on which is fine but not when you turn the forum into your own blog. Set up a twitter account if you have to.

when you get a chance re read this thread and tell me if my question isn't valid

By rights we are all sportsmen. We all drive cars. Heck Coxy is 2 time world champion cyclist and car driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Nerd
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.