Drop kicks

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Absolute farce but as far as tell can was correct ruling based on interpretation that hasn’t been applied in living memory!

Easy fix is saying as genuine attempt at drop goal but still lot of ambiguity as to interpreting genuine. Can’t rely on common sense in NRL.

Fox sports commenter had an interesting idea. Drop kick is a knock on unless goes between the posts and results in a successful field goal. Of course need to add in restarts.

Changes the game in interesting ways. Cuts out a lot of hit and hope field goal attempts, especially ones from distance.

What do people think? Or better ideas?

Absolute farce but as far as tell can was correct ruling based on interpretation that hasn’t been applied in living memory!

Easy fix is saying as genuine attempt at drop goal but still lot of ambiguity as to interpreting genuine. Can’t rely on common sense in NRL.

Fox sports commenter had an interesting idea. Drop kick is a knock on unless goes between the posts and results in a successful field goal. Of course need to add in restarts.

Changes the game in interesting ways. Cuts out a lot of hit and hope field goal attempts, especially ones from distance.

What do people think? Or better ideas?

That's actually a pretty interesting suggestion. I can't see much wrong with it yet.

I think it just needs to be a genuine attempt to kick a goal. I don't think we need to drastically change the drop kick rule.

Until it's done though, I expect Melbourne to develop this further.

I think it just needs to be a genuine attempt to kick a goal. I don't think we need to drastically change the drop kick rule.

Until it's done though, I expect Melbourne to develop this further.

Interesting how one could game this? Can someone else drop it and then next guy kicks it? Nothing in rule book I can see specifically about who drops or kicks.

Interesting how one could game this? Can someone else drop it and then next guy kicks it? Nothing in rule book I can see specifically about who drops or kicks.

Well the guy dropping it would just be done for dropping the ball since he didn't perform a drop-kick. The rule doesn't need to be there, it's in the name.

No drastic changes, just one simple one like the one posted above.

A drop kick must be a genuine attempt at field goal.

That's all that needs to be done.

Really there’s no other way to game this loophole outside of the Slater try and Matshels try from 5 or so years ago.

Still it should be amended. Maybe something as simple as a drop kick must go over head hieght for it to not be considered a knock on.

apparently for it to be a legal drop kick under the rules, you must be intentionally attempting a drop kick, otherwise it is to be deemed a knock-on ...

and given Slater's position on the field there is no way in hell he was trying to drop kick the ball ... he was attempting a grubber, the fact that he kicked the ball on the first bounce is irrelevant

apparently for it to be a legal drop kick under the rules, you must be intentionally attempting a drop kick, otherwise it is to be deemed a knock-on ...

and given Slater's position on the field there is no way in hell he was trying to drop kick the ball ... he was attempting a grubber, the fact that he kicked the ball on the first bounce is irrelevant

I think this was just misinformation based on the commentary across both networks wasn't it?

The refs boss said there is no need for it to be an attempt, so long as it's kicked instantly in the rebound. Or something like that.

Apparently it's as long as you're attempting a kick.....doesn't have to be a drop kick. Provided you are shaping to kick.

Apparently it's as long as you're attempting a kick.....doesn't have to be a drop kick. Provided you are shaping to kick.

Yeah this ridiculous decision opens a whole can of worms. Instead of doing the right thing / common sense thing / rulebook thing, they decide to do the let's make up reasons / interpretation card / flow of the game option. Now (as always with the NRL), any player whose foot goes anywhere near the ball on slow-mo will just claim they were trying to drop kick it and why wouldn't you when this pathetic precedent has been set?

It has never been a correct try in the history of the game, not even the Benji one matters because it is a completely different set of circumstances, but it is the NRL and they probably have a refereeing budget for stand-ins which they blew on demoting two guys earlier in the season for having the guts to make a correct decision, so no money to do that now, instead just make an excuse to look even more incompetent than they already do...and THAT is the most impressive thing out of this whole stupidity.

Just make the rule the same as taking a shot at penalty goal.

The hilarious thing is that Slater got up and said it was a no try about fifty times. I can't remember was it sent up as a try? Incompetence all round.

The hilarious thing is that Slater got up and said it was a no try about fifty times. I can't remember was it sent up as a try? Incompetence all round.

Yeah sent up as a try, ref didn't even listen to Billy.

Another member brought it up and I looked at it again and that member was right.

The ball bounced twice.

Even if it was a genuine drop kick from Slater, it was still a knock on because of the second bounce.

Another member brought it up and I looked at it again and that member was right.

The ball bounced twice.

Even if it was a genuine drop kick from Slater, it was still a knock on because of the second bounce.

Any footage of this? I maybe fogetting, but I thought the super dooper holy crap that's slow slowmo showed a single bounce.

Any footage of this? I maybe fogetting, but I thought the super dooper holy crap that's slow slowmo showed a single bounce.

That footage probably doesn't show it. But if you look at the screenshots.

Here is the ball touching the ground for the first time.

Vlcsnap 2018 04 24 10h23m46s999

Here it is completely off the ground.

Vlcsnap 2018 04 24 10h24m12s411

And here it is touching the ground again before Slater kicks it.

Vlcsnap 2018 04 24 10h24m20s361

That's a second bounce.

In order for it to be a drop kick, Slater had to kick the ball before it touched the ground again which he didn't.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Organix
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • Morkel
  • LittleDavey
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Fitzy
  • Justwin
  • ezpz
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Dony Eliakim
  • broncs30
  • NSW stables
  • Harry Sack
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.