Drop Te'o

I tend to agree, my only reservation is Mal would be reluctant to drop him and he is to stupid or selfish to see how it might affect the team.

Still, the Qld management have been around a while and I'm sure if they felt it was a problem they would have a word to the wise.
At this stage even if he stood aside it wouldn't make any difference to media questions, they would just come at it from a different way by bombarding players with questions about Teo stepping aside etc.

I'd love it if they call in big Papa

Stepping aside would be a sign of guilt, If he isn't guilty he should have the right to play in a game he was selected for. If the rest of the team get distracted than that's on them not Te'o, they are professional league players and should act as such.

No, it's a sign of respect for the process that needs to be undertaken. To me, his refusal to stand down looks more like he's guilty. If he's got nothing to fear, removing yourself from the situation shows that you're willing to take one for the team - something that Mal will most certainly reward him for in coming Origins should he be cleared. Staying in the team looks more like he's desperate to get this Origin under his belt because he knows he's about to be sidelined for a while...

I find the timing of all of this very suspicious, and as I said previously, given the circumstances, I give absolutely no credence to the Lewis woman!

Should Te'o have been picked? Probably not, if only to protect him and Qld from this distraction.

Should he be dropped now? I'm not sure. I don't think it will make any difference to the team, as whatever damage has already been done. Besides, it's not like the issue is going to go away.
I am also strongly against punishing someone who seems to be the victim of what appears to be a manipulative woman looking for a fast buck and a moment of fame.

I could be wrong, in which case throw the book at him if proven guilty, but at this point nothing makes me believe he's in he same boat as a Bird, Inglis or that scumbag Lui.

No, but it needs to be used as a warning to young players on how easy it is to get in trouble. Brett Stewart's situation was unfortunate, but even now, knowing what we know about the supposed 'victim', I think it was the right call at the time. Stand down Te'o while it's being investigated, hell, stand down Boyd and Norman for a week just for being dumb enough to get in the cab with the girl, and I'm sure players will think twice about putting themselves in any situation that'll compromise them.

I've thought about this...

When you consider this is rugby league's show piece, the crown jewels and the Maroons have an impeccable image as a team every Queenslander can be proud of, the underdog that came good, the Qld'er spirit that plays fair but gets hardly done by NSW administration and its dirty tricks with the judiciary and selections over the years; the risk, however marginal, of this turning into an assault charge down the track and the Maroons having played Te'o during the investigation should warrant him stepping aside or being stood down.

He's not even that vital of a cog in the team or in form. He'll play 20-30 minutes in a basic role in the game plan that Papalli can and would perform just as well. Mal's honourable but misguided sense of loyalty will see him undone here.

The lack of decisive action has just undermined the NRL integrity unit and ultimately Dave Smith and the commission. The damage is already done in that regard. If Souths/Te'o had been completely forthcoming then they might deserve the benefit of the doubt.

A good leader makes unpopular decisions.

Last edited:
Alright, Guilty until proven innocent is the new thing.

No, that's not the point.

It's about balancing the risk that she could be telling the truth, Te'o is guilty and the NRL receiving a black eye against its integrity versus the benefits of allowing a Te'o to play ... denying a player an Origin jersey is harsh (true but he is young and can play the second game if he is innocent), Qld might be disadvantaged (Te'o's absence is probably now outweighed by the distraction this has caused to the team), the fans don't get to see Te'o play (meh).

did all those wanting him stood down also want the broncos to stand down boyd/hunt/thaiday?

im on the fence on this one, purely because of the strange-ness of the situation. shes a crazy person with trouble with the police and other sportsmen, the police responded to HIS phone call not the other way round, and they decided there were no charges to be laid. from all accounts it looks like shes just trying to stitch him up. but it COULD be the other way, where he is guilty of assault. it doesnt look like it IMO, but it could be true.

Sorry Morkel, but that is bullshit.

Unattached young guys (okay, Boyd shouldn't be there, but who has ever said he has a brain?) getting in a cab with an attractive girl.
What has the world come to!

The Stewart girl thing shows exactly why knee jerk reactions never work out well, and I fucking hate the prick!

This is for another discussion, but we live in a society where the common sense has gone out the window. Yes, we need to remain vigilant, and yes, we need to protect the weaker elements (women and children in general), but let's also use restraint before tarnishing someone's name and reputation!

Recently, the police was called on a grandpa who took his 6 y/o granddaughter to the beach. Although they didn't expect it, it was an unusually warm day, so grandpa allowed the little girl to take her clothes off to go for a swim, given they didn't take bathers.
Within minutes, the cops were there, called by "concerned" citizens that he might be a paedophile. Seriously, does that look like the MO of a pervert?

What has society come to, that innocent people have to go through shame and accusation, just because there's a chance they might be guilty?

By the way, this is coming from a guy that believes in a more proactive behaviour of justice against people who haven't "broken the law", but are dangerously hovering above it, like stalkers, etc...
And it's also coming from a guy that will get seriously riled up and scream at the TV when watching SVU, and a scumbag looks like getting away with molesting a woman or a child... :blushing:

did all those wanting him stood down also want the broncos to stand down boyd/hunt/thaiday?

im on the fence on this one, purely because of the strange-ness of the situation. shes a crazy person with trouble with the police and other sportsmen, the police responded to HIS phone call not the other way round, and they decided there were no charges to be laid. from all accounts it looks like shes just trying to stitch him up. but it COULD be the other way, where he is guilty of assault. it doesnt look like it IMO, but it could be true.

It's different, this is a star packed team. The Broncos weren't.

Just to be clear, I don't want him stood down because he may have hit her. I think he should be stood down because there is that distraction.

Just to be clear, I don't want him stood down because he may have hit her. I think he should be stood down because there is that distraction.

That's a good reason as to why he shouldn't have been picked in the first place, now that he is in the team however standing him down won't take away the distraction.

Times have changed a great deal since that incident. In hindsight they probably should have been stood down. Apparently the club wanted to but Bennett insisted they be allowed to play.

so we should play favourites and only stand you down if youre not essential to the teams chances of winning?

so we should play favourites and only stand you down if youre not essential to the teams chances of winning?

**** you've got a warped view of life mate.

I was all for them being stood down. I didn't care, but there is a clear difference.

I'm afraid that ship has sailed...

Absolutely. You can search my posts from back then.

It's established that 4 people entered the house, 1 left with a black eye. I'd say you'd want to get to the bottom of it before you let him play. Putting out a media release drafted by your club's lawyer isn't "getting to the bottom" of it.

**** you've got a warped view of life mate.

I was all for them being stood down. I didn't care, but there is a clear difference.
that seems to be what some are suggesting though, that he should be stood down because hes not an essential part of the team - correct me if im wrong? if it was smith/slater/inglis they wouldnt want him dropped, but cause hes only a bench player theyre saying they shouldnt have chosen him/should drop him because of it.

i may have misread your "It's different, this is a star packed team. The Broncos weren't."?

Last edited:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
  • Stix
  • Jazza
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • bazza
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.