Eligibility

Coxy said:
Emma said:
Completely agree. There's no way they could have anywhere near the same passion and understanding of the whole concept, and as such should not be allowed anywhere near a QLD or NSW jersey.

Yeah, no Kiwis can ever show passion for Origin.

Kind regards,
Brad Thorn
Tonie Carroll
Karmichael Hunt
Ben Te'o

Don't forget, the players don't feel the same passion for their state on Origin night as the fans do. To them it's a job, an honour, they have to do the job right to get selected. But they don't cry if they lose like some people around here do (well, other than Hoffman).
But are they not people who were there from an early age? Asostasi hasn't been here since he was a kid has he? Burgess certainly hasn't.

And I'm not convinced that the players view it as simply a job.

Te'o moved here at 18 I think. So about, what, 4 years now?

I did say there had to be a residency period to fulfil as well remember. Not just "Oh, I'm English/Kiwi and I want to play for Queensland".

Then I wouldn't be convinced that Te'o should play origin. Cases like Karmichael, Brad Thorn are a bit different, they were little kids when they moved here.

I like the idea that a player nominates their eligibility when they register their first NRL contract. The options should be; QLD, NSW, NZ, ENG, FRA

If you choose to be eligible for QLD or NSW you also make yourself eligible for Australia. If you choose to be eligible for another country then you not eligible for State of Origin. Of course, if you were born and raised in Austraila and had no heritage (eg. 3 generations) to another country you couldn't make yourself eligible for another country.

I would hate to think in the future that I had to move to NSW for work and my son had to play his first senior football in NSW, that would kill me to see him running out for them, all because he played his first senior football there. I would do everything in my power to get him to QLD for that first game if that rule still applied.

I don't see a problem with the eligibility rules as they stand. i think they are clear cut, you are eligible for the state in which you play your first senior footy after the age of 16. simple.

I don't want to see international players playing origin at all. STATE OF ORIGIN IS AN AUSTRALIAN REPRESENTATIVE FIXTURE

Foordy said:
I don't see a problem with the eligibility rules as they stand. i think they are clear cut, you are eligible for the state in which you play your first senior footy after the age of 16. simple.

I don't want to see international players playing origin at all. STATE OF ORIGIN IS AN AUSTRALIAN REPRESENTATIVE FIXTURE

totally agree

Emma said:
Then I wouldn't be convinced that Te'o should play origin. Cases like Karmichael, Brad Thorn are a bit different, they were little kids when they moved here.

Teo's first senior footy game (so after he turned 16) was for Keebra Park High, he never actually played senior footy in New Zealand. He was in the Warriors junior development squad then moved to QLD after that. So he isn't all that different to Hunt and Thorn in that sense.

Which level is the first senior level of footy? SG Ball? Under 20s?

Kiwi's playing SOO would be weird but then again what if they are passionate about their state?

I think we should stick to the FIRST level of senior footy you play = NO EXCEPTIONS but we've made mistakes wiht GI and what not have we?

Yeah but then you have the situation where a player has lived in a state all their life, but move interstate when they're 17 and then play senior footy....suddenly they have to play for the other state?

Dumb.

Should just choose. The "Origin" concept is outdated. It can't simply be where you played your first senior footy.

Maybe it should be where you played your first senior footy but if you have an objection based on reasonable grounds such as moving interstate you can choose.

Fair enough. I still don't get why you can't be a Queenslander and a Kiwi though. Te'o for example...he'd have more passion and desire to play for NZ than Australia, but just as much passion for QLD. should be eligible for both IMO.

Yep, I agree with that, as long as the eligibility is valid, I don't think that representing Australia should be a condition. It would probably strengthen the product outside our borders too.

I think it should be only open to players eligible for Aus. This big push for Kiwis to play has only come recently because NSW are crap and they don't like it.

Nah for me it comes from the fact you don't have to be Australian to be a Queenslander. Lots of ex-pats from NZ and other countries grow up in Queensland and love it, support the Maroons in Origin etc, but when it comes to internationals their heart lies with their home land. I have no problem with those cases being able to play for their country and our state. Nobody's given me a valid reason why you should have to be available for Australia to be available for State of Origin.

There should be a draft to see which state players play for. Similar to AFL rules, NSW would get the first 17 draft picks next year.

OXY-351 said:
There should be a draft to see which state players play for. Similar to AFL rules, NSW would get the first 17 draft picks next year.
I think they would need it for a few years to even come close... [icon_lol1.

SoO Origin should be a pathway to playing for your country IMO.

The NSW side could have Benji, Fui Fui, Tuaki, Cayless, Burgess, Isaac Luke, Lima, Blair, Pritchard, Matai, Gareth Ellis,Warea - Hargreaves, Nuasala, Bronson Harrison, Roy Asotasi which is sh@t IMO.

Would the Warriors players then be eligible because they play in the NRL?

Would the Warriors then have a gripe because they would find it hard to keep players if they're players can't play SoO?

If that isn't good enough reason then I don't have one.

Dexter said:
SoO Origin should be a pathway to playing for your country IMO.

The NSW side could have Benji, Fui Fui, Tuaki, Cayless, Burgess, Isaac Luke, Lima, Blair, Pritchard, Matai, Gareth Ellis,Warea - Hargreaves, Nuasala, Bronson Harrison, Roy Asotasi which is sh@t IMO.

Would the Warriors players then be eligible because they play in the NRL?

Would the Warriors then have a gripe because they would find it hard to keep players if they're players can't play SoO?

If that isn't good enough reason then I don't have one.

As I keep saying, you still need to have lived in Queensland or NSW for a significant part of your youth, and started your senior career there.

Warriors players who come through the ranks and play for the Warriors wouldn't qualify.
Same goes for Storm players if they ever start producing local juniors (although they probably make their senior footy debuts in the Sydney comp so would be NSW qualified anyway).

NSW wouldn't have Benji, QLD would (he played for Keebra Park High in the Arrive Alive Cup, which is a senior comp). QLD would also have Matai available (played for Ipswich in the QLD Cup before moving to Manly).

Gareth Ellis wouldn't qualify because he played his first senior footy in England.

I'm only talking about players who qualify for Origin under the usual circumstances, but by birth right also qualify for another country. I think those players should be able to play for their country of birth but also elect to play for their state they qualify for.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • BroncosAlways
  • HarryAllan7
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • thenry
  • Allo
  • kman
  • Manofoneway
  • Midean
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • FGfrom50
  • kiwibronco
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • The Don
  • BooKhaki
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.