Eligibility

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
There's some discussion around other threads about who should be eligible for Origin etc.

There's a few ideas suggested:
- players indicate their state of origin when they sign an NRL contract for the first time
- be stricter on the eligibility (ie, must've lived more than 80% of their life in their chosen state and played football there at a senior level)
- allow players to select a state of origin based on residency in Australia for a certain period, but still be eligible to represent their country of birth should they wish

Personally I'm in favour of a combination:
1. Players on registering an NRL contract nominate their State and National allegiance
2. Players have to indicate their place of birth and where they lived through their life
3. If a player is currently living in Australia and has done for the last 3 years they may choose their residential state as their state of origin, but still be eligible to nominate for their country of birth

I have no problem with Origin teams having internationals from other countries in them. Origin isn't a selection trial for Australia anymore, and there's no reason why Kiwis who have moved to Queensland or NSW in their teens shouldn't be eligible for both QLD/NSW and NZ. Ditto poms.

I don't see any detriment to it.

I would also advocate that players who have not played Origin can, by virtue of residency for 3 or more years, change their allegiance to their state of residence should they desire. However, once you play Origin, that's the state you represent forever more.

I completely agree Coxy. Good plan,

Helps a bit with the Juniors coming through Victoria and WA as well. I'm sure kids would love to play SOO, but would need to do so by moving up here, but if that sort of system was in place, they could nominate themselves towards their preferred state.

Bannermania said:

Helps a bit with the Juniors coming through Victoria and WA as well. I'm sure kids would love to play SOO, but would need to do so by moving up here, but if that sort of system was in place, they could nominate themselves towards their preferred state.

They would still need to show residency in a state at some point though. Can't just pick a state that you never lived in.

While I agree it would sort of be weird.
Can you imagine Asotasi or Marshall playing for NSW? It just wouldn't feel right.

No.

Origin should not have Internationals outside of Australia. It removed the concept completely. They don't get to pick. First senior footy is what team you play for. That simple.

SO what would you rename this 3 game series in the middle of the season??? It certainly would have nothing to do with State of Origin!

Coxy said:
Bannermania said:

They would still need to show residency in a state at some point though. Can't just pick a state that you never lived in.

.. Yeah that would be a bit unfair. Especially since everyone wants to play for QLD!

A big weakness in the international game is Kiwi players choosing Australia for the sake of origin, it shouldn't be up to players.

Exactly. Clear eligibility rules. None of this picking.

I do however think that players are eligible for NZ or Aus if there are no island nations and what not playing.

Nashy said:
Exactly. Clear eligibility rules. None of this picking.

I do however think that players are eligible for NZ or Aus if there are no island nations and what not playing.

Cool, and it should be retrospective.

Ergo, Israel Folau and Greg Inglis, you're playing for NSW next year. K Thx Bai!

Coxy said:
There's some discussion around other threads about who should be eligible for Origin etc.

There's a few ideas suggested:
- players indicate their state of origin when they sign an NRL contract for the first time
- be stricter on the eligibility (ie, must've lived more than 80% of their life in their chosen state and played football there at a senior level)
- allow players to select a state of origin based on residency in Australia for a certain period, but still be eligible to represent their country of birth should they wish

Personally I'm in favour of a combination:
1. Players on registering an NRL contract nominate their State and National allegiance
2. Players have to indicate their place of birth and where they lived through their life
3. If a player is currently living in Australia and has done for the last 3 years they may choose their residential state as their state of origin, but still be eligible to nominate for their country of birth

I have no problem with Origin teams having internationals from other countries in them. Origin isn't a selection trial for Australia anymore, and there's no reason why Kiwis who have moved to Queensland or NSW in their teens shouldn't be eligible for both QLD/NSW and NZ. Ditto poms.

I don't see any detriment to it.

I would also advocate that players who have not played Origin can, by virtue of residency for 3 or more years, change their allegiance to their state of residence should they desire. However, once you play Origin, that's the state you represent forever more.
I don't like that idea - you could end up with someone like Scott Satler who is an out and out QLDer playing for NSW simply because he played first grade here for years.

If there is a problem with the current eligibility, then yes, it should be fixed. Even if that does take away any players currently wearing the wrong colours.

I think Origin is fine how it is (even if mistakes are made).

Internationals I don't know much about. But for example. Peter Wallace should be able to be picked for Australia vs the Kiwis. But if Scotland need him against another team, he should be able to play for them.

Obviously he picks the nation that comes first with selection.

See that's the thing, I don't think it would detract from Origin at all to allow Kiwi Australians to play for QLD/NSW and yet still play for NZ.

Gus Gould is always on his high horse about this - personally I love it the way it is, and the fact that there's the odd quirky case ala Inglis, Nagas etc. just adds to it

Coxy said:
See that's the thing, I don't think it would detract from Origin at all to allow Kiwi Australians to play for QLD/NSW and yet still play for NZ.

That would be called an All Star game not an Origin game...

i dont want to see players like Asotasi, Burgess, Marshall etc playing state of origin. thats not what state of origin is about.

just leave it as it is.

Completely agree. There's no way they could have anywhere near the same passion and understanding of the whole concept, and as such should not be allowed anywhere near a QLD or NSW jersey.

Emma said:
Completely agree. There's no way they could have anywhere near the same passion and understanding of the whole concept, and as such should not be allowed anywhere near a QLD or NSW jersey.

Yeah, no Kiwis can ever show passion for Origin.

Kind regards,
Brad Thorn
Tonie Carroll
Karmichael Hunt
Ben Te'o

Don't forget, the players don't feel the same passion for their state on Origin night as the fans do. To them it's a job, an honour, they have to do the job right to get selected. But they don't cry if they lose like some people around here do (well, other than Hoffman).

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Lostboy
  • Fozz
  • Tmac
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwibronco
  • davidp
  • Justwin
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.