FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

Gakpo confirmed to Liverpool. Hilarious the United fans are having a meltdown, plenty of them saying they didnt want him now anyway 😆

Interestingly the club didn't seem all that interested themselves.

Apparently they tried to get him on loan with the aim of buying him in the summer on a transfer fee that's around 30 mil.

There are whispers sources at the club are questioning whether he'll reach the heights many expect of him. Which I think he will, but that could also be dutch bias there.

I'm not sure if it's a mistake that they missed out on him or not. They need some more strike up front, but he's not a central player. However, Rashford has shown he is more than capable of playing that central role and still be just as much of a threat as he has been on the wing, which makes room for Gakpo.

I guess we'll see what they do in the Jan transfer window. I got the feeling we'll be seeing the announcement of Depay returning to the club.

Apparently they tried to get him on loan with the aim of buying him in the summer on a transfer fee that's around 30 mil.

There are whispers sources at the club are questioning whether he'll reach the heights many expect of him. Which I think he will, but that could also be dutch bias there.

I'm not sure if it's a mistake that they missed out on him or not. They need some more strike up front, but he's not a central player. However, Rashford has shown he is more than capable of playing that central role and still be just as much of a threat as he has been on the wing, which makes room for Gakpo.

I guess we'll see what they do in the Jan transfer window. I got the feeling we'll be seeing the announcement of Depay returning to the club.

I said it earlier in the thread, he's a good player but he doesnt fix up any of the issues United have up front, he's similar to whats there already.

United have taken this stance now but I think the reality is their financial position restricted them going for Gakpo. There have been some very concerning reports come out recently regarding the money they have to spend this window.... owners have no interest in investing prior to the sale.

Felix on loan seems their only viable option but plenty other clubs sniffing around him.

Surprised but I guess that means firmino is prob on the way out.

Still need some fucking mids
Hard to see happening with the depth currently on the books. Keita, Fabinho, Jones, Elliott, Henderson, Thiago, Bajcetic, Melo - add in Ox now too he won't be needed in the front 3.

Some articles suggesting LFC have made another bid for Caicedo but I reckon the midfield business will be in the summer. Plenty of bodies in there at the moment.

I said it earlier in the thread, he's a good player but he doesnt fix up any of the issues United have up front, he's similar to whats there already.

Gakpo is power and pace. Throw in very good technical ability and finishing, he's an asset to any team. I personally think Ten Hag would have converted him to a number 9, using his large frame and mobility to both get in behind and be a target man, similar to what he did with Haller at Ajax. Be interesting to see if he can develop his game with his back to goal. I feel he's more of a natural left winger but the versatility and being 6 foot 3 is a massive factor in why he would have been a good addition.

I don't think he's at all similar to Sancho or Anthony but can see elements of his game that are comparable to Rashford. What makes you say he's similar to anything currently at United?

Gakpo is power and pace. Throw in very good technical ability and finishing, he's an asset to any team. I personally think Ten Hag would have converted him to a number 9, using his large frame and mobility to both get in behind and be a target man, similar to what he did with Haller at Ajax. Be interesting to see if he can develop his game with his back to goal. I feel he's more of a natural left winger but the versatility and being 6 foot 3 is a massive factor in why he would have been a good addition.

I don't think he's at all similar to Sancho or Anthony but can see elements of his game that are comparable to Rashford. What makes you say he's similar to anything currently at United?

Sancho at his best in Dortmund was doing exactly what Gapko is doing at PSV the majority of the time, playing out wide and cutting in. Anthony is the exact opposite of in terms of him being a left footed wide attacker who plays on the right. You only have to looks at how they all score a lot of their goals to see that. None of them are really wingers, they are more your stereotypical modern day inside forward. Apart from the obvious differences in they physical builds, their games are all very similiar. Just look at some highlight clips of all 3.

Rashford is probably more a ready made striker at the moment, but a lot of his career has also been as a left sided wide attacker. I think though if he can get some consistent football under his belt as a striker he will come good there.

Last thing the United need right now is a project forward. They need somebody ready to lead the line now. I hope they dont get one though. I love seeing the scumbag clubs like United struggle after the crap they pulled.

@The True King i do think you are on the right track though, at some point i think he will end up as a Thierry Henry style player as i think its inevitable somebody will try to move him up front.

Sancho at his best in Dortmund was doing exactly what Gapko is doing at PSV the majority of the time, playing out wide and cutting in. Anthony is the exact opposite of in terms of him being a left footed wide attacker who plays on the right. You only have to looks at how they all score a lot of their goals to see that. None of them are really wingers, they are more your stereotypical modern day inside forward. Apart from the obvious differences in they physical builds, their games are all very similiar. Just look at some highlight clips of all 3.

Rashford is probably more a ready made striker at the moment, but a lot of his career has also been as a left sided wide attacker. I think though if he can get some consistent football under his belt as a striker he will come good there.

Last thing the United need right now is a project forward. They need somebody ready to lead the line now. I hope they dont get one though. I love seeing the scumbag clubs like United struggle after the crap they pulled.
I have to disagree with most of this.

1. Sancho at his best was on the right at Dortmund. He would beat opponents 1v1 on the outside by feinting going inside. His game was based around winning those duals and then turning on the after burners, Gakpo doesn't have anywhere near the same pace or desire to beat the man on the outside. Also worth remembering we haven't seen that Sancho in nearly 2 seasons now so hard to say it's something United already have.

2. Anthony, from what I have seen is all trickery but do agree his move is to cut in to shoot with his left. I just think again that's nothing remotely close to what Gakpo does from the left wing given it's on the other side of the pitch haha. I actually think he's a pretty limited player and will be figured out within the next 12 months.

3. As for Rashford, I don't think he will ever be a decent striker. That has been tried and tested a few times with no luck. He's got a fantastic finish and he's elite when he's through 1 on 1 with the keeper, but he doesn't have the movement off the ball, the ability to hold up play or instincts in the box to succeed as a stand alone 9. He's also easily bullied by physical defenders.

He's at his best playing second striker, picking up pockets of space on the left but he isn't the focal point. He's a huge threat when he is running off the defenders shoulder and using his pace to threaten in behind. Ideal player for counter attacking football and breaking quickly. Not a shock to me that's the role ETH has him playing and also how he's had success with England.

The guy they need is someone like Ramos from Benfica, alternatively someone in the mould of Patrick Schick. I personally think Gakpo could have been that guy for them but you're right it probably wouldn't be in the immediate term. 100% with you that I hope they continue to struggle!

I hope all of the grubby 6 crash and burn. They are the most despised teams in England these days.

Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Man United, Man City, Chelsea. They should have kicked them out of the Premier league when they decided to disrespect English football.
Mighty Newcastle would walk the league for the next two decades!

Todays game will be a struggle against United but once we get that out of the way and the reinforcements come in i can see us hopefully climbing the table. At least now we have a quality manager in charge instead of that clown Bruno Lage he might get the best out of our players.

Ref is an absolute joke in this game. Books one player for a nothing challenge yet the unite player gets nothing.

That showed Rashford. Dropped for a disciplinary issue, now being bought on. Bet that taught him a lesson.

Casimiro should have been sent off. Booked for that challenge and did a worse one in the first half.

Awful challenge on Nunes by Fred. Again, no yellow. Big club bias at its best

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Fitzy
  • Rambstien
  • Bish
  • BroncosMan
  • KateBroncos1812
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • kiwibronco
  • jd87
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • TonyTheJugoslav
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.