FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

Ugarte not registered in time for the Liverpool game so he won't be playing at all.

Casemiro to play in the midfield against Liverpool. Guaranteed win for them.

Us and Spurs would have to be the favourites to win.

Our group phase is pretty easy.

457488190_1093650065454855_9139976969240370217_n.jpg
They'll find a way to balls it up.

Maresca getting rid of a winger with an attitude problem just to sign another winger with an attitude problem.

I wonder how that will work out.

Sterling loan deal to Arsenal, no option to buy.

@Brocko @BroncsFan and any other United fan, how would you rate this transfer window?

I would have liked to have seen at least two more out of Maguire, Lindelof, Casemiro, Eriksen to go and sign another midfielder and LB, but overall I think it's been a pretty good window and I would give it a 7/10.

The no LB is a bit of a concern considering Shaw and Malacia are massive injury concerns, but hopefully we look at bringing one in during the January window.

There's still the possibility we can bring in Rabiot in the coming days as he's a free transfer. Some concerns about his mother and the way she carries on and he would need to accept that he's not getting over 200k+ in wages, but I would take him as depth until the next window when we can bring in someone else.

Us and Spurs would have to be the favourites to win.

Our group phase is pretty easy.

457488190_1093650065454855_9139976969240370217_n.jpg
Porto and Fenerbache will both give you a headache, especially Porto. That's a pretty nice group though.

I would have Roma as my early favourites. I don't think either of the English sides will win it.

Ugarte not registered in time for the Liverpool game so he won't be playing at all.

Casemiro to play in the midfield against Liverpool. Guaranteed win for them.
Not a chance.

LFC have made one signing and the legendary Klopp is gone. The squad hasn't improved at all and there's a new manager who's only had a couple of weeks with the majority of the players.

On the other side of the coin, United have signed every player the manager wants and he's had 3 seasons now to implement his style of play.

United at home should be heavy favourites.

@Brocko @BroncsFan and any other United fan, how would you rate this transfer window?

I would have liked to have seen at least two more out of Maguire, Lindelof, Casemiro, Eriksen to go and sign another midfielder and LB, but overall I think it's been a pretty good window and I would give it a 7/10.

The no LB is a bit of a concern considering Shaw and Malacia are massive injury concerns, but hopefully we look at bringing one in during the January window.

There's still the possibility we can bring in Rabiot in the coming days as he's a free transfer. Some concerns about his mother and the way she carries on and he would need to accept that he's not getting over 200k+ in wages, but I would take him as depth until the next window when we can bring in someone else.
I've been quite happy with what we've done to date.

Our biggest needs to address were CB, CDM, striker and then just general squad depth, whilst getting rid of deadwood... That's a shit load of work to try and get done in single transfer window and some in the front office getting to the club pretty late into the preparation period, but I feel we have done a decent job to address these as much as can be done.

ETH's first season with United was built off the back of his defence (specifically Shaw, Martinez, Varane and Cas) and now we've reinforced that with De Ligt, Yoro and Mazraoui... hopefully Martinez can stay injury free, because he will be like a new signing as well. Could definitely use some more reinforcements at LB with Shaw and Malacia spending most of their time in the physio room, but still a little bit of time until the end of the window for a loan deal.

Cas was excellent in his first year, but is clearly losing his legs... Ugarte is probably not the full on elite CDM that can be a playmaker from 6, but he looks like he's a ball winner at the back and cutting off counter attacks is desperately needed. Cas will still be needed as we have no other CDM's, but he's a great option to bring off the bench... OR at least we have Ugarte that he can be splitting minutes with.

Zirkzee looks really promising and provides a completely different option up front... He also offers flexibility in style that ETH can play with.

Of course more signings are needed to build solid depth, given it is non-existent at this stage, but we had to start somewhere... and they've still got deadline day and potentially a little bit of cash to play with for some last minute depth.

Culling of deadwood has finally started it would seem... McTom is finally fucking gone... Sancho looks out the door which is a massive wage off the books. Would've liked to see the back of Maguire, but he at least served a purpose as back up last year.

Hopefully the defence can stay fit this year and we can play with a high line, because that's the way ETH actually wants the team to play, and he can't when Maguire and Lindelof have to fill in there.

I'm dissapointed we didnt replace Kilman, thats a big negative as we need a center half, but Andre is a fantastic signing. He's going to be one of the best signings of any team for this window. Squad is better all around than last year, we at least have some depth now.

I think 6 or 7.

Similar concerns around no LB and not enough outgoings. The likes of Casa, Maguire, Eriksen and Lindelof spring to mind who will now all leave for free in 12 months. Sancho loan to a rival for 4th not ideal in the slightest either.

Think we are also still thin in midfield. I'd still be interested in Rabiot, however sounds like the club is very invested in Collier coming through.

Only other point for me is striker. I like Zirkzee and hope he does well, just wonder if we'll regret not going for one of the pure 9's that were available in Toney/Osimhen for example.

Not a united fan, but as a rival I'll try to be objective.

Overall I think it's a step in the right direction. Hard to really gauge because it was only a few seasons ago that you guys signed Varane, Ronaldo, Sancho after finishing 2nd and everyone thought it would propel you into the title race, which didn't eventuate.

This summer has obviously been lower profile names, but smart signings in terms of the technical quality you've brought in. They're adaptable players regardless of the manager situation. Zirkzee is the closest thing I've seen to Bobby Firmino, he won't be prolific but he's a versatile player and as another poster said, he gives you a few different tactical options.

Yoro I won't comment, I need to see more and despite the glowing reports on his potential, we've seen this sort of signing before. Ugarte I'm not so high on but he will suit ETH style of play. He can break up play and protect your back 4. You'll be relying on other players to move the ball quickly and to break lines in transition but Ugarte is a good defensive player for a counter attacking system.

De Ligt is interesting, great technical player and its a cross-roads for his career, I think he'll have a point to prove and be a good long term signing. Mazraoui just needs to stay fit, plenty of quality but I am not convinced he's any sort of upgrade on Dalot. Although the signing may inadvertently fix your LB issue. I don't know much about Kone or if he's ready. I think the big positive is you've avoided the Chelsea discards and players with huge wage demands.

The scariest part though (if I was a United fan) is that the majority of the fan base are saying that signings still needed. Onana, Malacia, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Martinez, Mount, Hojlund, Zirkzee, Malacia, Eriksen, Yoro, Casemiro, Antony, Ugarte.. that's at least 14 senior players this manager has signed and we're still talking about needing players and that top 4 is going to be touch and go.

Not a united fan, but as a rival I'll try to be objective.

Overall I think it's a step in the right direction. Hard to really gauge because it was only a few seasons ago that you guys signed Varane, Ronaldo, Sancho after finishing 2nd and everyone thought it would propel you into the title race, which didn't eventuate.

This summer has obviously been lower profile names, but smart signings in terms of the technical quality you've brought in. They're adaptable players regardless of the manager situation. Zirkzee is the closest thing I've seen to Bobby Firmino, he won't be prolific but he's a versatile player and as another poster said, he gives you a few different tactical options.

Yoro I won't comment, I need to see more and despite the glowing reports on his potential, we've seen this sort of signing before. Ugarte I'm not so high on but he will suit ETH style of play. He can break up play and protect your back 4. You'll be relying on other players to move the ball quickly and to break lines in transition but Ugarte is a good defensive player for a counter attacking system.

De Ligt is interesting, great technical player and its a cross-roads for his career, I think he'll have a point to prove and be a good long term signing. Mazraoui just needs to stay fit, plenty of quality but I am not convinced he's any sort of upgrade on Dalot. Although the signing may inadvertently fix your LB issue. I don't know much about Kone or if he's ready. I think the big positive is you've avoided the Chelsea discards and players with huge wage demands.

The scariest part though (if I was a United fan) is that the majority of the fan base are saying that signings still needed. Onana, Malacia, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Martinez, Mount, Hojlund, Zirkzee, Malacia, Eriksen, Yoro, Casemiro, Antony, Ugarte.. that's at least 14 senior players this manager has signed and we're still talking about needing players and that top 4 is going to be touch and go.
I think the more signing needed is because if you're a team moving up to Top 4 then you're playing the league, champions league and then cup games as well.

From a squad depth perspective there's just not much quality behind the starters that can come on and make a difference:

Striker: Hojland, Zirkzee... and then nothing or having to use Rashford
Wingers: Garnacho, Rashford, Diallo, Antony... and then pretty much nothing after getting rid of Sancho and Pellistri... probably Mount?... Bruno can move there but not his best spot... Hojland could play there as an inside forward if Zirkzee plays 9.
CAM: Bruno... then not much... Mount isn't all that creative... I think Zirkzee could play there at times as well
CM: Mainoo and Mount, but then it's Eriksen (getting past it), Cas can play here I think now that we have Ugarte... and then it's youth
CDM: Ugarte and Cas, Collyer as youth, but that's it
LB: Shaw and Malacia in the physio room and then youth
RB: Mazraoui and Dalot, then pretty much nothing
CB: Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro, Lindelof, Maguire, etc. but the first three are the ones that can actually play ETH's style

So outside of the starters there is just not much left in any positions

Only other point for me is striker. I like Zirkzee and hope he does well, just wonder if we'll regret not going for one of the pure 9's that were available in Toney/Osimhen for example.

Toney seems like such a missed opportunity. He's going to Saudi for £40 million. We likely would have had to pay more but I reckon we could have got him for around £50 million.

Yeah his wage demands are high, but he's a 20+ goals a season striker. He's a pure 9 as you said. How much is that worth?

I'm very glad Chelsea weren't able to land Osimhen, though. Making top 4 is already a tough challenge, that would have made it even harder.

I think the more signing needed is because if you're a team moving up to Top 4 then you're playing the league, champions league and then cup games as well.

From a squad depth perspective there's just not much quality behind the starters that can come on and make a difference:

Striker: Hojland, Zirkzee... and then nothing or having to use Rashford
Wingers: Garnacho, Rashford, Diallo, Antony... and then pretty much nothing after getting rid of Sancho and Pellistri... probably Mount?... Bruno can move there but not his best spot... Hojland could play there as an inside forward if Zirkzee plays 9.
CAM: Bruno... then not much... Mount isn't all that creative... I think Zirkzee could play there at times as well
CM: Mainoo and Mount, but then it's Eriksen (getting past it), Cas can play here I think now that we have Ugarte... and then it's youth
CDM: Ugarte and Cas, Collyer as youth, but that's it
LB: Shaw and Malacia in the physio room and then youth
RB: Mazraoui and Dalot, then pretty much nothing
CB: Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro, Lindelof, Maguire, etc. but the first three are the ones that can actually play ETH's style

So outside of the starters there is just not much left in any positions
But why do those have to be new signings? Surely there is some onus on the manager to coach the existing/youth players to improve and step up into those positions. It's pretty normal to have 2 senior players per position, you'd find that's the case at most European clubs.

Outside of Bruno, Rashford (maybe) and Shaw, there's no one in your starting XI that was there prior to ETH. I'll give him credit for Garnacho and Mainoo, even Diallo coming through... but it's odd to me United fans are so happy that McTominay has left but at the same time criticise the depth in midfield now. He's nearly turned over the entire first team within 3 seasons.

The manager has now spent ~€650mil. I named 14 players above, there's probably a few others I have forgotten.

At some point the excuses around depth/quality have to end and the manager has to be accountable for how his team are coached.

To the point above and by way of comparison. After 3 seasons Klopp had integrated new signings with the likes of Lallana, Henderson, Milner, Lovren, Mignolet, Origi, Firmino, Gomez, Coutinho, Can etc. With a few exceptions I don't think these players were all that much better than the cattle ETH inherited, Klopp just backed himself to coach them to be better players.

He obviously needed a few upgrades for the likes of Moreno, Clyne, Sturridge, Toure, Allen and a couple others but it wasn't as if he arrived and needed to turn over the entire starting team because players didn't suit the system he was trying to play.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Footy Fanatic
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.