Enough already - kick them out, permanently

Rugby league is meant to be professional, rnabokov. It's also meant to be a NATIONAL Rugby League competition. We've got the eastern seaboard covered, though there's this inexplicable cluster of crap called Sydney in the middle that is simply not justifying its number of teams.

Not just in performance on the field, but in terms of getting people through the gate and even in producing talent. How many of the clubs in Sydney produce their own players from their local areas? Most come from QLD, country NSW and NZ!

Sydney needs a reduction in teams.

South Sydney is in an area of Sydney that is next to dead, residentially, and there's a club right next door that is rich, successful and can usually attract a crowd.

Souths get hardly anyone to their games unless someone hypes it up like it's some kind of grudge match. I can see it now, round 26, "Souths redemption, see your team win their second game of the season and get within 10 points of the team running 15th".

FFS, the game doesn't need Souths in the top grade. The game doesn't OWE Souths a spot in the top grade. The game won't MISS Souths being in the top grade. Who laments the loss of North Sydney, or the merger of Wests and Balmain? Or St George and Illawarra? It's worked.

Hell, if they go back to the NSW Cup they might just add to their 20 titles. Certainly won't bloody happen in the NRL in my lifetime.

Coxy said:
Rugby league is meant to be professional, rnabokov. It's also meant to be a NATIONAL Rugby League competition. We've got the eastern seaboard covered, though there's this inexplicable cluster of crap called Sydney in the middle that is simply not justifying its number of teams.

Not just in performance on the field, but in terms of getting people through the gate and even in producing talent. How many of the clubs in Sydney produce their own players from their local areas? Most come from QLD, country NSW and NZ!

Sydney needs a reduction in teams.

South Sydney is in an area of Sydney that is next to dead, residentially, and there's a club right next door that is rich, successful and can usually attract a crowd.

Souths get hardly anyone to their games unless someone hypes it up like it's some kind of grudge match. I can see it now, round 26, "Souths redemption, see your team win their second game of the season and get within 10 points of the team running 15th".

FFS, the game doesn't need Souths in the top grade. The game doesn't OWE Souths a spot in the top grade. The game won't MISS Souths being in the top grade. Who laments the loss of North Sydney, or the merger of Wests and Balmain? Or St George and Illawarra? It's worked.

Hell, if they go back to the NSW Cup they might just add to their 20 titles. Certainly won't bloody happen in the NRL in my lifetime.

FFS Coxy - yours, and Hammo's argument is equally applicable to France, England and more or less NZ.

A lot of people miss their foundation, and pre-merger clubs precisely because sport is in your HEART and SOUL, which means where you grew up and spent the best years of your life. I mean damn, I grew up in Newtown and was heartbroken to see the Jets cut and diced.

Oh well - such is life. Let's get modern. I demur to the forces of capitalism, crowd numbers and efficiency.

Like - to draw a parallel - let's cut a few more thousand jobs and GET modern and efficient! Such is life. You win.

OK - let's get professional - cut out the dead wood and reduce the NRL to what - 8 successful clubs?

Money money money... and damn the heart and soul of tradition, history, national and regional allegiences.

Meh - I'll make you all happy. I'm out of this thread.

Tradition and history are great, they're warm and fuzzy and make you feel good when you hear about them.

But anything with tradition and history, if it doesn't also have progress, simply becomes history and a nice memory.

The NRL had it right when it said 14 clubs was the right number. 16 is fine when you've got teams in Adelaide and Perth, but we're a long way off that.

Coxy said:
Tradition and history are great, they're warm and fuzzy and make you feel good when you hear about them.

But anything with tradition and history, if it doesn't also have progress, simply becomes history and a nice memory.

The NRL had it right when it said 14 clubs was the right number. 16 is fine when you've got teams in Adelaide and Perth, but we're a long way off that.

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

The inescapable logic of this argument is efficiency and leaner and meaner.

To me, that means in 5 years we'll have not 14 clubs but 8, and France and England will have no reason to stay in League OTHER than tradition and history.

Which of course - according to you, is irrelevant.

Yes, and the world will end because we may not re-sign Michael Ennis.

As a long suffering Souths supporter you can't win against these guys. So it is better to not even waste your time. They don't care about Souths and it is simple as that.

I don't care about their comments because I want the team to get back on top. Souths have nothing to blame but old management for the shit we had on the field and the management now is trying to turn around the last 20 years.

However if you look at the recruitment that we had when we got let back into the comp compared to what the Titans were allowed to do. It basically showed the NRL were always setting us up to fail and wanting the Gold Coast area to finally work.

Either way. We are still here so suck on that _woohoo_

Twiztid said:
As a long suffering Souths supporter you can't win against these guys. So it is better to not even waste your time. They don't care about Souths and it is simple as that.

I don't care about their comments because I want the team to get back on top. Souths have nothing to blame but old management for the shit we had on the field and the management now is trying to turn around the last 20 years.

However if you look at the recruitment that we had when we got let back into the comp compared to what the Titans were allowed to do. It basically showed the NRL were always setting us up to fail and wanting the Gold Coast area to finally work.

Either way. We are still here so suck on that _woohoo_

Long suffering? You started supporting them when you started dating Bree.

You're head in the sand won't help in this argument, so it's no point.

Congratulations Nashy, wrong again. My dad has been a supporter for years and I always had a soft spot. Bree showed me that they were the team for me because I never supported a team for years (just went for a team who was playing).

I could have jumped on any bangwagon team that was always in the top 8. Hey could have started supporting the Broncos :roll: .

By the way your ego won't help around here either with having your 2 cents on every thread, surprised your even still here.

Twiztid said:
Congratulations Nashy, wrong again. My dad has been a supporter for years and I always had a soft spot. Bree showed me that they were the team for me because I never supported a team for years (just went for a team who was playing).

I could have jumped on any bangwagon team that was always in the top 8. Hey could have started supporting the Broncos :roll: .

By the way your ego won't help around here either with having your 2 cents on every thread, surprised your even still here.

You just proved the point. Your dad did, I was talking about you. So no, I wasn't wrong.

I live in Brisbane champion. Hence, I support the Brisbane Broncos.

My ego? When hvae I ever big-noted myself on here. You're surprised, good on you champion.

So what timeframe do I need to be classed as long suffering then?

4 years, missed maybe 10 games in those 4 years mostly the out of state games. Worked for the club for 3 years. I dont need your approval to be classed as long suffering.

Congratulations on being from Brisbane, must make you feel proud [eusa_clap.gi Would have loved to see if the shoe was on the other foot and Brisbane had no success in their 20 years and see who you would be supporting. Because I dont reckon it would be the Broncos. However we will never know that because had envious success for years the benchmark I wish Souths could match which they cant.

Oh well let me be the first to point out your "I am right on everything" ego. Probably the reason no-one cared when you were not here for so long.

Twiztid said:
So what timeframe do I need to be classed as long suffering then?

4 years, missed maybe 10 games in those 4 years mostly the out of state games. Worked for the club for 3 years. I dont need your approval to be classed as long suffering.

Congratulations on being from Brisbane, must make you feel proud [eusa_clap.gi Would have loved to see if the shoe was on the other foot and Brisbane had no success in their 20 years and see who you would be supporting. Because I dont reckon it would be the Broncos. However we will never know that because had envious success for years the benchmark I wish Souths could match which they cant.

Oh well let me be the first to point out your "I am right on everything" ego. Probably the reason no-one cared when you were not here for so long.

When I started supporting Brisbane, I didn't know they were succesful, and I didn't know a thing about league. So that absolutely shoots down that theory. Most of the people on here will be able to tell you I knew nothing about the sport.

Oh yeah. I don't care if people miss me or not.

Thanks for your biased opinion, it has been taken on board. Souths need to be removed, they offer nothing to the sport, and that should be reason enough to have their licence revoked.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone has somewhat of a softspot for them, but it's time for them to leave, they've had more than their fair share of chances to do something.

Scott it isn't even worth your effort to post in here babe. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. icon_thumbs_u

FWIW Scotty and Bree - I know a few Souths fans up here and can see theirs and your passion for the club so I would hate to see that taken away from you. I'm all for the Bunnies having their spot in the NRL icon_thumbs_u

Twizted and PB - I actually do care about Souths. Fans such as yourselves don't deserve to have your team taken away. But as it stands, they can't go on as they currently are. SOMETHING needs to be done to get them competitive, on and off the field, and if it means someone has to force them to do that something, then I'm all for that. It appears as though the shit management as you called it Twizted, just didn't want to do that. I would go so far as to say that the management at the moment isn't doing the best they could either. They seem to throw an awful lot of money at two, maybe three players who were great once upon a time, but now are well past their best (and getting on in age), when they would be better served trying to attract a couple of decent youngsters and building the team up that way. Having a team full of David Kidwell's, Nigel Vagana's etc isn't the way forward for souths.

I'm all for Souths proving me wrong. But they have to have a time limit. We can't accept another 20 years of abysmal performances before they manage to turn it around.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Galah
  • Gaz
  • Griffo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Browny
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • davidp
  • Fozz
  • kiwibronco
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.