Enough already - kick them out, permanently

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
renouf said:
Stupid thread. Souths have A LOT of fans in Sydney, more then most clubs. Their supporters are very passionate, I've been to quite a few of their home games and they really get into it. The build up to the season opener against the Roosters was incredible, you would have thought it was a grand final...

There is something really wrong with the recruitment at Souths, they didn't bring in enough players in the off season.

Kidwell is past it, so is Vagana, and a bunch of their juniors aren't up to first grade. Injury to Craig Wing hasn't helped either. I'm sure they'll finish the season strongly and prove you all wrong.

Now explain past seasons since their re-entry to the comp.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
renouf said:
Stupid thread. Souths have A LOT of fans in Sydney, more then most clubs. Their supporters are very passionate, I've been to quite a few of their home games and they really get into it...

...when they show up.

I just finished your sentence for you. You neglected an important point.

They are so passionate, but they can't seem to find the time to go to games...unless they're hyped up or they think they'll win.

I don't usually equate fickle with passionate.

R

renouf

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
...when they show up.

Every club is like that, how many tigers supporters were at the game on Saturday night?

People won't turn up to watch a game if your side is being beaten every week convincingly.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Tigers crowd was indeed disgraceful. Especially since both teams have been playing an entertaining type of football, and sure enough the game was a cracker to watch.

I genuinely believe Sydney fans just don't have passion for the game anymore, and the only reason we hang onto these dinosaurs of history like Souths is exactly that...history. They're not relevant to the here and now, and definitely not to the future, they should be axed from the NRL.

R

renouf

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
I think the clubs have lost the passion, its all about money. To many sides are playing at ANZ.

G

Maybe the stadiums are just too big these days. Back in the day, you could get 10-15K at some of the smaller home grounds, and it would be a great atmosphere, yet these days you get 20K people turn up to the big stadiums, and the place feels dead.

Also, I think the NRL should take a leaf out of Cricket Australia book and not broadcast live in to the home town of where the game is being played. I'd go so far as to say it should be delayed by 24 hours. TV broadcasting is killing crowd numbers. Why would you go to the game, when you can sit at home in the comfort of your own living room drinking full strength beer and get a birds eye view of the game. We'll end up like america sports where games are played in front of emptry stadiums (in some cases you can't even go even if you wanted to), just so they can be broadcast on tv.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....

the answer is cutting the number of teams in Sydney. I don't know how long until this sinks into the N(SW)RL board's heads. NSW is RL saturated

All the Bears, Tigers, Magpies, Steelers, Dragons and lets not forget Jets fans have left supporting the code. FACT.

/story.

G

Hammo said:
All the Bears, Tigers, Magpies, Steelers, Dragons and lets not forget Jets fans have left supporting the code. FACT.

Really? I would have thought the vast majority of Steelers, Dragons, Magpies and Tigers fans were still involved with their team. I'll give you the Bears fans and maybe even the handful of Jets fans at a pinch...

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Me syncs Hammo was spruiking carsastically.

G

Coxy said:
Me syncs Hammo was spruiking carsastically.

Perhaps - but I'm still of the view that while there may well be too many teams in Sydney, I don't think we need to cut the numbers anywhere near as drastically as seems to be the popular consensus on this forum.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Agreed. I'd be happy to cut it down by 2.

Suggest that's doable by merging Souths and the Sharks and having them play out of Gosford. But apparently Gosford people won't accept that, they want their own team, so that's just going to cause more pain.

G

2 would be about right. The problem is which 2 clubs go (or which 4 merge)?

The fact that all teams in Sydney have been around for over 40 years (except for the 2 already merged teams which obviously would merge again) and therefore have built up long-standing tribal hatred against all other teams in Sydney means the potential for another Northern Eagles disaster is high. And yes, I know that there were many contributing factors to their downfall but at the heart of the matter was that Norths fans hated Manly, and Manly fans hated Norths, therefore no-one could warm to them.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
That's why the Sharks are ideal merger candidates. The only people who really hate them are St George fans (plonked on their turf etc etc). And they'd be about the only club Souths don't have a chip on their shoulder about.

In saying that, and I've mentioned this before, I think it needs to be done ultimatum style. Souths and the Sharks (if they are targeted) either:

1. Agree to relocate to nominated expansion area by year X
2. Agree to merge AND relocate to nominated expansion area by year X
3. Are excluded from the NRL competition in year X

They don't cease to exist, they continue playing in the NSW Cup. Consider it a permanent relegation.
Sufficient financial inducement needs to be offered for 1 or 2.

The NRL can do this because it's their choice who they do and don't offer licenses to. They simply say they won't renew Souths and the Sharks license in year X if they don't take up option 1 or 2.

Perfect. Clean break. Yes, there'll be LOTS of whinging and carry on, probably a court challenge or 10. But they have to realise that the NRL is the national competition and therefore needs a national focus.

It'll never happen. News Limited are still paying off the legal stoush from the last time they (rightfully) booted Souths out.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
This is what pi*ses me off about this thread.

Souths, irrespective of their recent trials and tribs, are a foundation club of the NRL. They are one of only two foundation clubs still present in the league, the other being the Sydney Roosters.

They have won more premierships than any other NRL side. At the elite competition level, South Sydney are the most successful professional team in the history of Australian rugby league in terms of total championships won, having claimed 20 first grade premierships. I ackowledge however, they have not won a premiership since 1971.

In 2007 Souths qualified for their first finals series since 1989.

Souths has a long history of producing talented indigenous players, including stars such as Eric Simms, Ron Coote, Eric Robinson, Kevin Longbottom and, more recently, Nathan Merritt.

Throughout its history the club has been a provider of opportunity for young Aboriginal players from both the South Sydney district and regional New South Wales. The link that exists between South Sydney Rugby League Club and the Aboriginal community of the district goes back to the formation of the Redfern All Blacks Football Club in 1930, a vitally important nursery for Souths over the years.

Bugger the noveau riche elites from Cronulla!

OK. We upstart Broncos supporters are passionate about our team - coming into the NRL in 1988.

We owe Souths for the NRL's long and proud history and tradition.

Give them a bit of credit.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
rnabokov said:
This is what pi*ses me off about this thread.

Souths, irrespective of their recent trials and tribs, are a foundation club of the NRL. They are one of only two foundation clubs still present in the league, the other being the Sydney Roosters.

What's the point? Because they were there in the beginning, the GAME OF RUGBY LEAGUE owes them something? That is bloody ridiculous. Mate, I'm a member of the Army. I, and my mates, have witnessed my old unit, which dates back to 1917, be disbanded. What about the loyalty to the diggers that fought and died serving that unit in both WWars?

The thing is, the Army has progressed since 1918 and as such, realises it doesn't have or better yet, can improve itself by disbanding said unit and effectivly intergrating the unit into another unit. Trust me, there is far more tradition associated with a combat unit, then anything a football club will ever offer, however progression is a must. Sounds kinda logical huh?

rnabokov said:
They have won more premierships than any other NRL side. At the elite competition level, South Sydney are the most successful professional team in the history of Australian rugby league in terms of total championships won, having claimed 20 first grade premierships. I ackowledge however, they have not won a premiership since 1971.
So they have won 20 GF's in 100 years....wow...that's orsm. :roll: Seriously, those 7 other teams they used to beat must have really taken it out of them. :roll:

rnabokov said:
In 2007 Souths qualified for their first finals series since 1989.
My problem with Souths, isn't the fact they have not made finals series, it's that for the vast majority of the time I have been watching RL, they haven't even competitive. Especially where it matters most....off the field.

rnabokov said:
Souths has a long history of producing talented indigenous players, including stars such as Eric Simms, Ron Coote, Eric Robinson, Kevin Longbottom and, more recently, Nathan Merritt.

Throughout its history the club has been a provider of opportunity for young Aboriginal players from both the South Sydney district and regional New South Wales. The link that exists between South Sydney Rugby League Club and the Aboriginal community of the district goes back to the formation of the Redfern All Blacks Football Club in 1930, a vitally important nursery for Souths over the years.

I don't get your point at all? Aboriginal players can't be produced by other clubs *cough* NQ *cough* Brisbane*cough*??

rnabokov said:
OK. We upstart Broncos supporters are passionate about our team - coming into the NRL in 1988.
We owe Souths for the NRL's long and proud history and tradition.
Give them a bit of credit.

Mate, as far as I'm concerned this NRL competition started in 1998. So I don't get this long and proud tradition you are talking about? Oh wait, you're misguided; you mean the long and proud tradition of RUGBY LEAGUE in Australia. Well, my fathers team, The Valley Diehards are gone. My team, the Wynnum Manly Seagulls are struggling. My point is, teams come and go mate, MY BRONCOS have nothing to thank Souths for at all. In fact, one could argue that it was the NSWRL that actually detracted from my teams performance over the years.

The Brisbane Broncos have the Brisbane Rugby League Premiership (BRL) to thank for their long and proud traditions. After all, that is where the vast majority of the Broncos inaugral players and staff started their careers. And where the heart and soul of QLD RL grew.

Look, Souths were great, good on them, but even the NSWRL killed its own constantly from 1908 through to 1982. The actual first 2 clubs formed have both been given the arse. The reson they are still here, is because idiots with money support them....not their games, just the club.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Soi wot do want Hammo - consistently performing top 4 clubs to justify inclusion in the NRL?

The world's a bigger place than that.

Do you suffer from performance anxiety? [icon_lol1.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
No, what I want is for constantly under performing teams, of which Souths is one, to be dropped from the NRL, to make way for GROWTH in the NRL.

I'm crazy I know [icon_shru

Unread

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Jedhead
  • heartly87
  • Painin the Haas
  • NSW stables
  • Locky24
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Alec
  • Manofoneway
  • jarro65
  • barker
  • Xzei
  • The Don
  • Battler
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.