Exercise: Broncos Cleanout

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
With news that the Eels are choosing to remove 12 players from their squad it got me thinking, should the Broncos consider their own cleanout?

Sure, we're not in as dire a situation as the Eels - we have been on the bottom for 3 years but let's say the club hated the direction the player roster was going in, and brought you into make some changes, what would they be?

Bonus question - check out Zero Tackle and the off contract players and consider what alternatives you'd bring in.

Last edited:
Re: NRL Player Movements and Rumours 2013

New discussion: If you were to choose 12 players from the Brisbane Broncos who's services would not be required in 2014, who would they be? (Not including management :P)

Scott Anderson
Nick Slyney
Dunamis Lui
Peter Wallace
Lachlan Maranta
Joe Bond
Denan Kemp
Liam Georgetown
David Stagg
Luke Dalziel-Don
Mitchell Dodds
Scott Prince

~

That would leave us with:

Kurt Baptiste
Dale Copley
Cameron Cullen
Brendon Gibb
Matt Gillett
Alex Glenn
Jake Granville
David Hala
Ben Hannant
Justin Hodges
Josh Hoffman
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Andrew McCullough
Josh McGuire
Chris McLean
Francis Molo
Corey Oates
Corey Parker
Jack Reed
Sam Thaiday
Caleb Timu
Jarrod Wallace
Aaron Whitchurch
Jharal Yow Yeh

And enough cap space to buy about 5 players.

Re: Excercise: Broncos Cleanout

No because if we did that, we'd be letting all these potentially premiership-winning talents leave to other clubs.

**** yes we need a cleanout, and badly. Start with all the fringe players, then move onto what's currently considered our best 17.

Who's your picks Renegade?

Off contract: Scott Anderson, Kurt Baptiste, Joe Bond, Dale Copley, Cameron Cullen, Luke Dalziel-Don, Mitchell Dodds, Liam Georgetown, Brendon Gibb, Jake Granville, Jordan Kahu, Denan Kemp, Dunamis Lui, Lachlan Maranta, Chris McLean, Francis Molo, Corey Oates, Nick Slyney, Caleb Timu, Jarrod Wallace, Aaron Whitchurch

Keep: Dale Copley, Cameron Cullen, Mitchell Dodds, Jake Granville, Jordan Kahu, Denan Kemp, Francis Molo, Corey Oates, Caleb Timu, Jarrod Wallace, Aaron Whitchurch

Cut: Scott Anderson, Kurt Baptiste, Joe Bond, Luke Dalziel-Don, Liam Georgetown, Brendon Gibb, Dunamis Lui, Chris McLean, Nick Slyney.

With a full cleanout the current first grade players that i would keep are: Glenn, Hodges, Gillett, Hoffman (wing only), Hannant, Parker and McGuire.

Everyone else would be expendable depending on players that could bring to the club and earning their next contract.

Based on zerotackle for next year i'd go for: Tim Lafai, Junior Sa'u, Sisa Waqa, Isaac John, Sam Williams, Tom Symonds, Lama Tasi, Scott Bolton.

Regardless if they stayed on at the club for next year i wouldnt be renewing the contracts of McCullogh, Wallace, Maranta, Lui, Dodds and Anderson.

My first order of business would be to replace Andrew Gee.

It's hard to say how many players need to go when Gee comes out and says our cap is 'chockers' followed by 'checkbook's open' followed by 'recruitment drive over: no-one signed'

No idea how much we actually have in the cap but get rid of anyone that offers nothing/haven't used/don't need.

Last edited:

keep the following:

Dale Copley
Alex Glenn
Jake Granville
David Hala
Ben Hannant
Josh Hoffman
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Josh McGuire
Corey Parker
Scott Prince
Jack Reed
Jharal Yow Yeh

the rest can go.

It's easy to say we should cut player so&so, but unless there a proven better options on the market or in the current system, are you really going to be any better off? I honestly think the playing roster needs a big shakeup, but imo the horse has already bolted on better replacements over the next couple of years. The broncos needed to sign a big name asap after Lockyer left, but they didn't and they don't look like doing so in the foreseeable future.

Start with the game plan Anthony Griffin has got. Get Gordon Tallis into work with Forwards and Darren Lockyer to work with backs.

Off contract: Scott Anderson, Kurt Baptiste, Joe Bond, Dale Copley, Cameron Cullen, Luke Dalziel-Don, Mitchell Dodds, Liam Georgetown, Brendon Gibb, Jake Granville, Jordan Kahu, Denan Kemp, Dunamis Lui, Lachlan Maranta, Chris McLean, Francis Molo, Corey Oates, Nick Slyney, Caleb Timu, Jarrod Wallace, Aaron Whitchurch

Keep: Dale Copley, Cameron Cullen, Mitchell Dodds, Jake Granville, Jordan Kahu, Denan Kemp, Francis Molo, Corey Oates, Caleb Timu, Jarrod Wallace, Aaron Whitchurch

Cut: Scott Anderson, Kurt Baptiste, Joe Bond, Luke Dalziel-Don, Liam Georgetown, Brendon Gibb, Dunamis Lui, Chris McLean, Nick Slyney.

This isn't what I'd personally call a cleanout. Other than Anderson, none of these even break into our starting 17, so they can't really be the problem - they are just depth.

keep the following:

Dale Copley - Get rid of him
Alex Glenn - 1 year contract or move on
Jake Granville - Get rid of
David Hala - Keep
Ben Hannant Keep
Josh Hoffman - Bye bYE
Ben Hunt - Don't let the door hit you
Jordan Kahu - Bye bye
Josh McGuire - Keep
Corey Parker - Keep
Scott Prince - Enjoy your retirement
Jack Reed - Thanks for your time
Jharal Yow Yeh - Get fit first

the rest can go.
My selections

My selections

keep the following:

Dale Copley - Get rid of him << What??
Alex Glenn - 1 year contract or move on << fair enough
Jake Granville - Get rid of << What??
David Hala - Keep
Ben Hannant Keep
Josh Hoffman - Bye bYE << Not sure if serious
Ben Hunt - Don't let the door hit you << Arguable
Jordan Kahu - Bye bye << More madness
Josh McGuire - Keep
Corey Parker - Keep
Scott Prince - Enjoy your retirement
Jack Reed - Thanks for your time << Arguable
Jharal Yow Yeh - Get fit first

This is either the greatest troll ever conceived or the worst bit of footy logic I've ever seen.

I think some people are a bit harsh on Glenn. No, he hasn't been great this year, but he still offers enough to remain a Bronco. He is still a strong runner, pretty good passer and a strong tackler. I think it's just his workrate that's poor, really.

Aye, he's a great talent. Just needs to pull the finger out and involve himself more. Feel like he's been waiting for the ball to come to him as opposed to him coming in. Unlike Gillett, Glenn is also a very good battering ram.

Mind you, we really don't play to him enough. Some good early ball with some decoy running would see him excel.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • sooticus
  • Fitzy
  • Organix
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • heartly87
  • Alec
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • RolledOates
  • broncs30
  • Rowdy124
  • lynx000
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.