Extract from Webcke's book

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Hard Road: Tough Thoughts On A Tough Game - extractArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment March 25, 2009 12:00am

THIS is an extract from Shane Webcke's book Hard Road: Tough Thoughts On A Tough Game. The following comes under a chapter titled Broncos Behaving Badly.

This is the chapter I didn’t want to write, but the one I knew I had to. In just about every aspect, the events it addresses represent one of the blackest times in the long and mainly admirable history of the Brisbane Broncos. In the troubled 2008 centenary season, there were too many instances of late-night dramas and drunken misbehaviour involving prominent rugby league players. (By September, 22 incidents had been recorded over eight months!) And the Broncos captured some of the biggest and worst headlines of the year, just as an exciting run to the finals was starting. What took place in September, and the club’s response to it, led to something that had never happened before in my life and probably will never happen again: I went to a Broncos game not really caring if they won or not.

You would have had to be living in a cave or sailing around the world single-handed with no wireless contact to have not heard what happened that week. In telling the story, I don’t want to set myself up as some sort of paragon of virtue or moral barometer. For bloody sure, I’m not that. In past seasons I was once or twice on the edge of things that could have caused me problems. When I reflect on that, I’d like to think I would have taken on the chin any punishment that may have resulted. But in September 2008, in a rugby league world that has changed hugely in terms of expectations of players’ behaviour, there were aspects of what took place in downtown Brisbane one Saturday night and in the aftermath that troubled me deeply and which I believe damaged the Broncos.

The story, briefly, was this: early in the first week of the 2008 finals of the NRL premiership-proper, the news broke, in huge headlines, of serious trouble in Brisbane involving what had long since become a toxic mix – football players and booze – in Fortitude Valley’s Alhambra Lounge Nightclub on the night 13 September. Black Saturday, indeed! The previous night, at the Sydney Football Stadium, the Broncos had toughed out a gripping 16-8 win over the Sydney Roosters in a qualifying final to set up a home semi-final against the Storm. Some players enthusiastically accepted the chance of being briefly off the leash, and a number of them met on the Saturday afternoon to begin what would turn out to be a long day and night.

What allegedly took place sometime fairly early that evening was both seedy and – for the newspapers – sensational. It followed a steady afternoon of drinking, involving up to eight Broncos players. It was reported that three of them – Karmichael Hunt, Darius Boyd, and Sam Thaiday – had gone with a young woman to a male toilet cubicle in the Alhambra Lounge where she had provided oral sex to two of them, and engaged in penetrative sex with the third. Some of what took place was allegedly filmed on a camera phone. The woman’s version later was that she was an unwilling participant in some aspects of the encounter. Sharing the details with a friend, and then her mother, she was urged to make a formal complaint to the police, which she did.

In the next couple of days, the story was all over the media, in glaring headlines – the news that three Bronco players were being investigated after claims they had sexually assaulted a 24-year-old woman, claims that were denied. It was now a matter for the police, who had set up a crime scene at the club on the Saturday night.

The media frenzy that followed was huge and ongoing in its detailing of a juicy story – it being precisely the sort of celebrity scandal that sells newspapers, whether football clubs like it or not. Sex, booze, big-time footballers – always a compelling mix.

Whatever it was exactly that occurred on that night – and I know what I have heard and read – it opened a Pandora’s Box that will haunt the Broncos for a long time. The media’s pursuit of further details, and the ready involvement of ordinary people perhaps tired of the behaviour of wealthy, drunken young men, led to reporting of alleged details of other aspects of drunken behaviour by Broncos players, adding to the club’s already supreme discomfort. They included:

• The disclosure that three players had arrived affected by alcohol at a morning training session on Sunday 20 July following the teams win over the Cowboys.
• The release by a bar owner of CCTV footage of an earlier occasion which showed several drink-affected Broncos players entering his venue, grabbing unopened bottles from behind the bar (which they paid for) and walking out with them in violation of liquor licensing law. The decision by Terry De Gunten, owner of the Casablanca Bar, to pursue the players when he realised what they were doing resulted in further embarrassment for the Broncos. De Gunten claimed that one of the players – skipper Darren Lockyer had ‘tackled’ him when he tried to stop the group. Denials from Lockyer and the club followed, but after the release of clearer footage a couple of days later Lockyer admitted that he had been the player involved in the incident caught on film. ‘Some more footage came out yesterday which proves that I am the person who made the tackle on the manager there,’ he said. ‘If that’s the case, my intentions were never to be intimidating. If I offended anyone, I apologise. To be perfectly honest, I don’t recall doing it.’ This episode was hardly earth-shattering – but in the context of all that was going on at the time, it was a further embarrassment for the club. And especially so in that it involved the hugely admired captain, Locky.
• Accusations that Broncos players had been kicked out of hotels, had been abusive to and spat at members of the public, and had pushed in ahead of other patrons in a lengthy taxi queue outside Brisbane’s Normandy Hotel late on the night of the Alhambra Lounge incident.

These were the claims, the allegations, and in some cases the revelations, that accompanied the Broncos into the 2008 finals series.

The whole thing was bloody awful – the biggest drama we have confronted in my time at the club. The following Saturday night, before a near-full stadium, the Broncos and the Storm played one of the greatest finals matches in memory – maybe one of the greatest of all time. In the Broncos side, which went down almost unbelievably 16-14 in the final minute, were Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Darius Boyd.

I’ll now turn to a matter of parallel concern: the Broncos’ response to what took place on the night of 13 September. I want to put on the record my strong belief that, whether or not any criminal charges were to be pressed over the Alhambra incident, the three players involved should not have been allowed to play in that match against the Storm. I believe that the majority of ordinary, decent people who make up our community would have supported such a stance and would have admired the Broncos for taking it.

In my view, the two key elements in the matter can be clearly separated: the specific criminal aspect, which was to be settled by other people, in other places; and the wider behavioural aspect, the question of players having breached the Broncos’ code of conduct and bringing the club and the game into disrepute. The fact that we had three players in a public toilet with a woman, and drunken players kicked out of hotels should have been enough for us to say: ‘You’re not going to play!’ That would have been the best and clearest way for the club to tackle it: to stand down the players. It would have been a stance of real strength that would have been applauded, I’m sure, by all fair-minded people. Yes, the players had been given the green light to go out drinking that day – but, as far as I’m concerned, their behaviour went far beyond the boundaries of what is accepted.

At the time, I discussed the issue at length with Bruno Cullen and left him in no doubt about my views. He said the police had asked the club not to do anything until they had completed their investigation. But the police were talking about the legal issue being examined (the sexual assault claim), which was their sole and specific area of interest. On the other hand, it seemed beyond doubt that the Broncos’ code of conduct had been breached and I could see no problem with action being taken promptly on that completely separate basis. I told Bruno of my belief that we could never go wrong doing the right thing. And from the Broncos’ point of view, the right thing was to stand down the players. ‘After all,’ I said, ‘we’ve stood down players this year for missing training sessions. You’re well within the bounds of precedence them down for this.’ The Broncos had also, of course, sacked players over behavioural issues in the two previous seasons, as I have recorded earlier.

The Board made their decision in line with advice given by police – and Thaiday, Hunt and Boyd played. No doubt the unusual, and unexpected, incursion of Queensland Police Minister Judy Spence into the fray encouraged the club’s decision too. ‘I would encourage people not to pre-judge these players or the events surrounding this incident on the weekend,’ she said. ‘Come along to the match this weekend.’

In stark contrast to the Broncos’ decision was the stance taken by the Cronulla Sharks around the same time in relation to their five-eighth, Greg Bird. An incident allegedly involving Bird and his girlfriend Katie Milligan had dominated the headlines for days in late August, with Bird initially facing charges of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm (later changed to a lesser charge of reckless wounding), and Milligan in hospital being treated for serious facial injuries. Later there would be news of further charges against Bird of public mischief and false accusation. Moving quickly, the Sharks stood him down indefinitely – and in the weeks that followed refused to budge on their stance despite what appeared to be an orchestrated campaign to ‘let Greg play’. Without Bird, the ambitious, but premiership-barren, Sharks bowed out of the competition on the penultimate week of the finals, beaten 28-0 by the storm. I applaud Cronulla for their firm stance, especially as it involved a player considered to be a key element in their premiership campaign.

Meanwhile, at the Broncos, something that really narked me was that even as a storm raged around three players involved in the Alhambra Lounge incident, it simply didn’t appear to be important to them. They were seen laughing and carrying on as if nothing had happened. Meanwhile, blokes like me and plenty of others who love the club and love the game were defending our arses off, trying to prop things up for the place as best we could. For me, there was always a big moral question at the heart of it. One bloke said to me ‘Ah, well, what about the girl? What about what she did?’ I replied: ‘For any young girl to be doing that you’d have to think she has some problems. But I’ll tell you this for sure – we’re not let off the hook in any way because we take advantage of that.’

Throughout the whole episode, Bruno Cullen was a man under enormous pressure – stuck in the eye of a cyclone. These days, if you’re the CEO of a professional football club, and being paid good money, it’s going to be that way sometimes. It comes with the territory. Bruno’s was no easy job, and he struggled as most people probably would have done.

Jeff Hall, league scribe for crikey.com.au, was critical of the club in a strong overview of what had become a huge story, writing:

Broncos officials have handled the issues poorly. And in doing so they have seriously damaged the club’s well-deserved reputation in recent years for taking a very hard line for players behaving badly.

Wall was right about the damage being done to the club’s reputation. The story dominated for days, and there were headlines written and opinions offered that were shattering for a proud club. These were just a few of them:

‘Spit Claims Surface as Broncos Grilled’
‘Broncos say Toilet Sex was Consensual’
‘The Broncos have attracted shocking headlines to a sport that needed to be on the back page for the right reasons this week.’
‘Three Drunk at Training’
‘The club should tear up their contract.’
‘Storm clouds on Broncos horizon’

And so it went on…
When the Darren Lockyer issue emerged to compound an already horrendous week, Wayne Bennett lambasted journalists, calling their coverage ‘just a lot of muckraking and quite unnecessary’. But the club was on the back foot almost immediately when Locky had to deliver his mea culpa on what was admittedly a fairly minor matter, but still one that could have been handled so much better.

At the end of the week, Phil Gould assessed a year in which there had been too much drunken misbehaviour by players. In a Sun-Herald column, under the headline ‘Sorry, Boys, but Party’s Over – ban the booze’, he called for players to sign an agreement ‘stating that they can’t drink alcohol while under contract to play rugby league’.

As a bloke who loves the Broncos, I was filthy on the whole thing. I long to see the game of rugby league be what it can be. Yet here, once again – and on the eve of its showcase weeks of the year – it shoots itself in the foot with players acting like imbeciles. I have no doubt that if the Broncos had taken a hard line with the three players as we had with others in 2006 and 2007, we would have come up smelling like roses. My belief remains that they should have been stood down form the game against the Storm. But it was such a bloody hard call for the club. In fact, we were pretty much corralled into a certain response by the police advice: they did not want us to take any action against the players until they had completed their investigations.

I think there were two aspects of that day that should have been separated: first, there was the police matter, and second there was the question of the club’s code of conduct. To have sat the players out would have sent out the powerful message that the club’s code had been breached and we would not condone it. I thought it was wrong of the police to put pressure on the club by stepping across into the territory of our code of conduct which is not a legal matter, but a matter of the moral and ethical standard that we seek to maintain. But I understand the club’s position in the circumstances; it would have been no easy thing to go against the police advice.

At the heart of it is an issue that Wayne Bennett and I have always disagreed on, and which I have mentioned already: whether or not players are ‘role models’.

I won’t repeat what I have already said on this matter, except to say that the responsibility that comes with being a highly paid professional sportsperson representing a club, its fans, and all the traditions that the club stands for demands that you conduct yourself in a manner that won’t harm or discredit the club. Whenever professional players cross a certain moral or legal line, clubs must be tough enough to make hard decisions. Football clubs aren’t the moral guiding lights of society, but I would argue that they must have amoral benchmark that matches common standards. The question for the Broncos on this occasion was: do our standards as a club include the view that it’s okay for three high-profile first graders to be drunk in a public toilet with a woman, committing sex acts?

As a professional in high-profile sport, you are ‘on show’ most of the time. It’s a fact of life these days when sportspeople are so readily identifiable. To blokes who don’t or can’t accept that, I’d simply say, ‘Well don’t play high-level rugby league, then, because in the 21st century that happens to be the way it is.’

The Broncos as a club came out of the events of September 2008 badly. The club peered into the abyss and was encouraged to take a certain position on police advice, thereby setting a difficult precedent. To stand down the players was the hard line, probably consigning the team to certain defeat in the biggest match of the year. The Board’s decision to let the trio play wasn’t in line with my view. When Hunt, Thaiday and Boyd ran out on to Suncorp, it was reported they got the biggest cheers from all the crowd of 50,000. I made the point to some others in the box at the time that four million other Queenslanders probably weren’t cheering – either the players’ actions or the club’s reaction.

At the end of the week, there was perhaps a little public perception that the club would take a hard line with ‘lesser’ players but couldn’t bring itself to do the same with high-profile players. In defence of the Broncos management, the point must be made that the situation was completely different with Hunt, Boyd and Thaiday. The advice form the police (to not take any action) was particularly strong – it was pretty close to the matter being out of the club’s hand entirely. I won’t disclose Board discussions, but will say this: there was a shared feeling of dismay and anger, with feelings so strong that the option of not just standing down the players, but sacking them, was certainly raised.

It was a sorry saga, one that disappointed many people. A syndicated newspaper column written by Tony Durkin, who had been the club’s communications manager for seven years, cut as deeply as anything. Durkin defined ‘disappointment’ in rugby league and then got stuck in:

Disgust – utter disgust – is when players from the club we support hit the headlines like the Broncos players have this week and show – to the general public anyway – no apparent remorse. Since first news broke on Sunday night that three high profile rugby league players were involved in an incident in a Brisbane night club, I feared the worst. As the week rolled on I found it extremely difficult to come to terms with the ugly and damning reports that have kept coming.

Dunkin wrote of feeling ‘betrayed and made to feel a fool’ by Karmichael Hunt, who he had anointed publicly in his column as the next Broncos captain. ‘Illegalities aside, the 12 hour bender by him and his mates, in the middle of a finals campaign, is disgusting enough behaviour… I am gutted and totally disillusioned by what had happened.’

Durko, a heart-and-soul Broncos man, couldn’t bring himself to support the club in the match against the Storm.

History records that in the final seconds of the game, the Storm’s Greg Inglis scored a try that stole the match from the Broncos’ grasp. For Brisbane, the season was over.

In The Sydney Morning Herald two days later, a four-word letter was published:

Broncos lose. Instant karma.

It said it all. Early the following month, the Broncos moved to stop the rot.

Given that Shane has sought to have the book removed from publication I wonder whether it is appropriate for this to be published for public consumption?

I'm glad he pulled this book. He should get off his high horse.

mrslong said:

What?

Everything he said there is exactly right. A lot of fans would agree with. But if you're happy with what happened last year, good on you. Not everyone is.

I'm not happy with it, but why dredge it up at all? Why not let sleeping dogs lie. Everyone makes some poor decisions in life and I'm sure he has as well. Haven't we all? And what were the boys supposed to do, walk around with a frown on their face for the entire week? I'm sure they weren't laughing the whole time and as soon as they started the camera's came out. They needed to get on with it.

It's in the past, let's leave it there.

Lynx, it's all through the papers already. It was always going to comeout.

Of course it's in the past. If we go by that theory, we wouldn't see any autobiographies, or anything.

If you're going to write about the good, you need to write about the bad too.

This is the bloke's 3rd memoir, how many does he need to write? He's also a coach at the club....I think he stopped it from coming out cos he realised how much more damage it would do. Also in the extract he writes "this week" Obviously he wrote it when he was angry.

I'm failing to see a valid point as to why he shouldn't write about his disgust, and how he feels about the club. He's a life member of the club, and his club has upset him deelpy.

He's a Bronco through in through, but just because he loves them, doesn't mean he can't disagree with their decisions, and really hate the fact the players bought his club into disrepute, and put them in a horrible situation.

Fair enough, we're never going to see eye to eye on this. But my last point is that, if he loves the club so much why do it further damage?

His point is that the club has done enough damage for itself.

The Rock said:
And also autobiographies would also be boring if they didn't bring up stuff from the past.

Also kind of impossible [icon_wink

good read, i agree with everything he has said, its about time someone from within said something, pity hes not exactly 'saying' it now with the book being pulped

QUEENSLANDER said:
good read, i agree with everything he has said, its about time someone from within said something, pity hes not exactly 'saying' it now with the book being pulped

+1

But as he said himself, the police pretty much told the Broncos to do nothing because it might jeopardise the police investigation.

mrslong said:

:roll: What a ridiculous thing to say. As one of the most admired Broncos of all time, Webcke has every right to voice his opinions of the disgraceful behavior of those 3 players. And it isn't a matter of being on a high horse... anyone with decent, respectable morals will know what the 3 players did was dirty.

Seems once again Mrs Long you are in the minority.

Agree with Qlder +2

Go out on the street and ask 50 young blokes aged between 19- 24 if they have had threesomes or foursomes before I think you will be surprised.

Beads6 said:
Go out on the street and ask 50 young blokes aged between 19- 24 if they have had threesomes or foursomes before I think you will be surprised.

Then ask them if it was with 2 of their male mates, some random scrag and in the toilet of a nightclub....

I think the vast majority would go "**** that's sick!" and not in a Fat Pizza "that's cool" kinda way.

As I say I think you would be surprised...

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Cavalo
  • Wolfie
  • NSW stables
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Strop
  • Tim K
  • Xzei
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • Midean
  • Jeza23
  • Skathen
  • barker
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lurker
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.