PLAYER Ezra Mam

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Lol, jesus.. I said nothing about his attack, he missed 8 tackles and his defence was shite and it has been all year. Harry grant defends in the middle and has made four times the tackles Mam has this year lol. If your looking for logic, your not comparing apples to apples.

If you want a comparison, Mam has the worst tackle efficiency of any other 5/8 in the comp. By about 10%..

Nothing about his attack, its brilliant for sure.

you mistake missed tackles with a lack off effort. they are completely different things.

besides all of the scenario's i mentioned in relation to Mam are defensive efforts ... he didn't have the ball in his hand when he made all of those tackles

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
you mistake missed tackles with a lack off effort. they are completely different things.

besides all of the scenario's i mentioned in relation to Mam are defensive efforts ... he didn't have the ball in his hand when he made all of those tackles
lol sorry but if you miss 8 tackles in a game, its all effort.. 2 or 3, maybe... If your are leading the comp in missed tackles, there's a problem. Simple.

Not saying he isn't a brilliant attacking superstar.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
hang on a minute are we talking about the same Ezra Mam that regularly leads the kick chase (along side Riki)

the same Mam that has caused more than one fullback to have nightmares from said chase.

the same Mam whose defensive efforts on those chases have lead to us either scoring or getting the ball back.

BTW, if I used your logic, then Harry Grant would show vibes of "Milfords lack of effort" he has only had a few missed tackles less than Mam has had
Haven't really paid attention to his misses maybe someone else has but how he misses them has to be considered.
I know there has been some lapses but is his missing tackles from rushing up and shutting play down or putting pressure on or slowing a player down.
Stats don't always tell the full story.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
lol sorry but if you miss 8 tackles in a game, its all effort.. 2 or 3, maybe... If your are leading the comp in missed tackles, there's a problem. Simple.

Not saying he isn't a brilliant attacking superstar.

I'm surprised either Bellamy or Ivan Cleary would accept a lack of effort from their players.

Bellamy must have mellowed in his old age

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I'm surprised either Bellamy or Ivan Cleary would accept a lack of effort from their players.

Bellamy must have mellowed in his old age
What? Are you talking about Mitch Kenny and Harry Grant missing tackles?

They make like 50 tackles a game so are going to miss more but they still make over 90% tackle efficiency... Ezras was just over 50% on the weekend which is poor.

I get that you have a boner for ezra seeing him do the flashy stuff but at the moment our defence is killing us, he's not alone and I hope the coaching staff are into the likes of him and piakura about fixing it.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Haven't really paid attention to his misses maybe someone else has but how he misses them has to be considered.
I know there has been some lapses but is his missing tackles from rushing up and shutting play down or putting pressure on or slowing a player down.
Stats don't always tell the full story.

Go watch the tries scored against use in the storm game... or any game really.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
He would have been bone dry sober, he's got form.
Correct. Bone dry sober. Don't see what the big deal is lol, he had a poor night defensively and is leading the comp for missed tackles. I don't see the problem in pointing out that he needs to be better defensively.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Correct. Bone dry sober. Don't see what the big deal is lol, he had a poor night defensively and is leading the comp for missed tackles. I don't see the problem in pointing out that he needs to be better defensively.

I think you’ll find that isn’t that part posters are taking issue with, it is you comparing him to Milford.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Mam is a fantastic defender - hits like he is twice his size and is always handling bigger men, leading kick chase and scrambling to make 1% defensive plays.

Missed tackles is a useless stat in isolation. It treats falling off a tackle in a situation where there’s 3 other teammates right there to tackle and force the ball carrier back 5 metres the same way it treats getting beaten 1 on 1 to allow a line break / try.

Every now and then he gets steamrolled, but that’s the same with any half - it’s not his fault, it’s the fault of the player inside him not covering and leaving him exposed 1 on 1.

Our edge defence has been awful this year, with Piakura and Cobbo both making some really awful reads at times, but I think pinpointing Ezra as a defensive weakness is way off the money.

I thought he deserved that QLD #6 jersey, and if it wasn’t for Dearden having played there previously (and doing well), I think he would have got it.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

Ezra is very good if you run straight at him .
Go around him / into space and there is a strong possibility he will fall off the low legs tackle .

I pointed this out a cpl of months ago .

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
I don't know how many times it needs to be said. You don't pick halves for their ability to defend. Hold their own, sure. Mam more than does that - he puts on shots, heck, he's fantastic at kick chases and is often one of the first players chasing breaks in our line.

He's not a great lateral defender - but that's not why he's in the squad guys. We have to have good defenders to his right and left to help him out. Why do you think Piakura got hooked very early on the weekend? Kev can see the problem. We're used to having Capes on the inside of Mam helping him out greatly and that's the night and day difference this year. Piakura is not a 1:1 replacement for Capes when it comes to defending his own man and being there to help Mam out.

Can he do better? yes. Is he a long way behind Luke Keary, Cody Walker etc? hell no. Those guys miss heaps of tackles or make ineffective ones. They have guys either side of them though that are quick to pounce and offer assistance. Piakura is still learning but needs to step up his game too. We just have two weak defenders side by side when the ball is quickly shifting or the angles change.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I don't know how many times it needs to be said. You don't pick halves for their ability to defend. Hold their own, sure. Mam more than does that - he puts on shots, heck, he's fantastic at kick chases and is often one of the first players chasing breaks in our line.

He's not a great lateral defender - but that's not why he's in the squad guys. We have to have good defenders to his right and left to help him out. Why do you think Piakura got hooked very early on the weekend? Kev can see the problem. We're used to having Capes on the inside of Mam helping him out greatly and that's the night and day difference this year. Piakura is not a 1:1 replacement for Capes when it comes to defending his own man and being there to help Mam out.

Can he do better? yes. Is he a long way behind Luke Keary, Cody Walker etc? hell no. Those guys miss heaps of tackles or make ineffective ones. They have guys either side of them though that are quick to pounce and offer assistance. Piakura is still learning but needs to step up his game too. We just have two weak defenders side by side when the ball is quickly shifting or the angles change.
I'm hoping Reynolds helps him out with it.

Even for a little guy who's also getting on in age, his tackle efficiency is 90% this year and it was about that last year.

No one would be thinking that Reyno is more physical than Ezra... it's all about reading the play and being in position.

Reynolds also shoots up out of the line to disrupt backline sweeps... something that was dearly missing last week with both Madden and Ezra sitting back and sliding possession after possession... Titans were spreading it every single set and were never stopped or shepherded back infield.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I think you’ll find that isn’t that part posters are taking issue with, it is you comparing him to Milford.
Agree, I've addressed it. I meant that post signing a contract, it seems he has dropped his defensive resolve. Which gave me vibes to how Milford performed after signing a big contract. Same as fifita, ash Taylor etc.

Unread

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • marw
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.