PLAYER Ezra Mam

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Tinfoil hat time:
Ezra hasn’t been any good since all the media attention from the whole Leniu incident. Sure, it coincided with the first game of the year, but it seems like he’s gone into his shell. Last year he was chest out, running amok. Or is it the absence of Reyno?!
He was pretty bad that whole first game against the Roosters to be frank before the leniu incident.

He defended well tonight which was great to see.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Not the first and not the last young half to struggle in their second full season of football. Very happy with his intent in defence last night. Had a red hot crack and was aggressive.

This would be his 3rd season in 1st grade .
He played the majority of 22 , all of 23 .

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Ezra needs to improve and I think we all know he’s not the finished article yet. He’s been as ordinary as the rest of the team tbh. He’s very opportunistic and with how we’re playing on the back foot a lot the opportunities just aren’t there.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
He is. Thats the thing, you go into contract negotiations demanding the big bucks, then you are expected to perform to that level.
This is where contracts are always in the player's favour.

He's been given big money based on potential, but he's nowhere near earned it and it has cost us depth, which is costing us games this year.

Why not have bonuses in his contract?

Play origin get a bonus, Make the finals get a bonus, 5/8 of the year get a bonus, etc.

The obvious is that player managers wouldn't allow it, but handing out money based on potential crippled this club previously, and we only have to look at what's happening now when you can't put a squad around your top players.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

He's been given big money based on potential, but he's nowhere near earned it and it has cost us depth, which is costing us games this year.

Play origin get a bonus, Make the finals get a bonus, 5/8 of the year get a bonus, etc.

The obvious is that player managers wouldn't allow it, but handing out money based on potential crippled this club previously, and we only have to look at what's happening now when you can put a squad around your top players.

Its something i've been banging on about for years. We still overpay these young blokes imo. Piakura is another we have done it with.

I'm not sure what the answer is apart from the NRL capping payments to players until they play in a certain number of games or a certain age. Not really sure how they could work it, but if they could find a way at least it would put every club on a level playing field until they either hit a certain age or have played a specified number of games.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Its something i've been banging on about for years. We still overpay these young blokes imo. Piakura is another we have done it with.

I'm not sure what the answer is apart from the NRL capping payments to players until they play in a certain number of games or a certain age. Not really sure how they could work it, but if they could find a way at least it would put every club on a level playing field until they either hit a certain age or have played a specified number of games.
I don't know if there is anything the NRL can do to cap it... I think that falls into restraint of trade.

Just has to be on the clubs to manage it and them being able to identify the core to build around rather than just FOMO on every player that comes off contract.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019

NHL does exactly this, every players first contract no matter how good they’re or how high they got drafted has a maximum they can be paid for their first three years. ELC “entry level contract”. And really good development teams and drafting teams get a benefit.

Broncos would benefit so the nrl won’t do it

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He went ok. But shame he didnt step up when Walsh put the burners on for that 20 minute period - Walsh was handled pretty well because he became the only threat

I thought Mam went pretty well to be honest. Walsh and Mam were throwing plenty at them but credit to their defense.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

The obvious is that player managers wouldn't allow it, but handing out money based on potential crippled this club previously, and we only have to look at what's happening now when you can't put a squad around your top players.

Having bonus clauses in contracts is difficult in a salary cap environment IMO. mainly because you would need to keep what ever bonuses that a included in contracts unspent ... and that is risky at best.

either the player/s don't hit the marks to receive those bonuses, and you're potentially playing at a disadvantage by not spending your full cap.

or the player/s do hit those bonuses and all of a sudden you are over the cap, putting you at risk of penalties from the NRL (which can and have included premiership points)

Unread

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Stix
  • Behold
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lozza
  • Gaz
  • mitch222
  • Harry Sack
  • Redfern_1980
  • Culhwch
  • Mr Fourex
  • Painin the Haas
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.