-NEWS- Finally, Good News for Broncos with Dearden Clear

JAHHW

NRL Player
Him registering any sort of attacking stat would be nice. I didn’t say he was bad, I said he was serviceable, if you want to go all in on him go for it.
Who said anything about going all in on him?

My inference was that you seem to be awfully negative and pessimistic regarding just about everything Broncos related and that, given the limited time he’s had in the role, as well as the fact he is incredibly green, it might be reason to cut him some slack, maybe even focus on the positives.

For example; after only 5 games, he’s already shown he is tough and rugged in defence and is most certainly not scared to tackled the big blokes. He’s also shown he is incredibly relaxed, composed and has a decent kicking game. These are all things we’ve been lacking in a halfback for a number of years now.

If he hasn’t shown more skills after a full season at 7, then your assessment may carry some clout.

Until then, it really looks like little more than your typical negative agenda against all things Broncos sans Bennett.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Gillo did drop an absolute peach of a pass right onto the chest from Dearden that would have seen Gillo score untouched (not sure who it was against). He can't help that.
That may be so but one try assist in five games still isn’t a great return.
- Merged

My inference was that you seem to be awfully negative and pessimistic regarding just about everything Broncos related and that, given the limited time he’s had in the role, as well as the fact he is incredibly green, it might be reason to cut him some slack, maybe even focus on the positives.

For example; after only 5 games, he’s already shown he is tough and rugged in defence and is most certainly not scared to tackled the big blokes. He’s also shown he is incredibly relaxed, composed and has a decent kicking game. These are all things we’ve been lacking in a halfback for a number of years now.

If he hasn’t shown more skills after a full season at 7, then your assessment may carry some clout.

Until then, it really looks like little more than your typical negative agenda against all things Broncos sans Bennett.
What fucking argument? I made a comment about him being serviceable and you go on some whack fucking diatribe. Calm down mate. I was responding to a comment about us not pinning our hopes on a kid and I agree. If you believe he was better than serviceable that’s great. I don’t. I’m not saying he won’t be but he didn’t set the world on fire or come anywhere close.

Last edited:

JAHHW

NRL Player
That may be so but one try assist in five games still isn’t a great return.
- Merged

What fucking argument? I made a comment about him being serviceable and you go on some whack fucking diatribe. Calm down mate. I was responding to a comment about us not pinning our hopes on a kid and I agree. If you believe he was better than serviceable that’s great. I don’t. I’m not saying he won’t be but he didn’t set the world on fire or come anywhere close.
Ignoring the first half of your post (argument? I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about), I can see the notion of being positive rather than negative, along with tempering your expectations of a kid that is pretty much straight out of high school is lost on you, so I give up.

Dazza 92

NRL Player
how many has Boyd got since playing 5/8th....id wager Turps has 100% improvement on him..:rofl

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Well there is your attacking stat that you said "would be nice"
Unfortunately they don't count if they're not scored.

Ignoring the first half of your post (argument? I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about), I can see the notion of being positive rather than negative, along with tempering your expectations of a kid that is pretty much straight out of high school is lost on you, so I give up.
People accuse me of defaulting to being negative well I think a lot of people are just reaching desperately for positives in what really has been a dumpster fire of a season. You can call that negative and I'll call it realistic.

You can think he's the next coming of Alfie for all I care, what I said wasn't negative, it was accurate. He was steady without being outstanding or 'serviceable'.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
broncsgoat broncsgoat has a valid point, steady without being outstanding or 'serviceable'.
below stats posted a week ago on the other thread.
Neither Turps nor Durrius are elusive enough to run more, especially if the service is originating from Macca. But, even with Segy there, Turps isn't doing much with the football. I think maybe Segy and Turps should swap until Dearden and SOS return. Good luck hiding Durrius somewhere else.

ostin86

QCup Player
Clearly Dearden has some attacking ability otherwise he would not have been given the nod in the first place.

What I really liked about him was his commitment in defence, his confidence and all round maturity. Imo these are traits that not all young playmakers posses, and often take years to develop.

It's all too common for a young dynamic half to come into the league, have a couple of flashy games, be labeled the next......(insert legendary playmakers name) than fizzle out because they cannot compete.

Dearden strikes me as the kind of player who will pay dividends if we invest in him.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
It's all too common for a young dynamic half to come into the league, have a couple of flashy games, be labeled the next......(insert legendary playmakers name) than fizzle out because they cannot compete.

Dearden strikes me as the kind of player who will pay dividends if we invest in him.
I agree, but we also need to see some "flash" from him. The halves are the correct place for that. Macca has none. Turps has enough of it to be a decent hooker. Segy has it in spades. But halfback is another notch up again.

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Dearden was a calm head and was taking pressure off Milford and as a result Milford was improving and getting back to being the dangerous player we all knew.

We didn't need a half that could do all the flashy stuff etc. We just needed one that could take the pressure off Milford and free him up to play the way he likes to play which was exactly what was happening.

ostin86

QCup Player
I agree, but we also need to see some "flash" from him. The halves are the correct place for that. Macca has none. Turps has enough of it to be a decent hooker. Segy has it in spades. But halfback is another notch up again.
Yes we definitely need to see some more attack out of him and I'm sure we will.

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
Neither Turps nor Durrius are elusive enough to run more, especially if the service is originating from Macca. But, even with Segy there, Turps isn't doing much with the football. I think maybe Segy and Turps should swap until Dearden and SOS return. Good luck hiding Durrius somewhere else.
I disagree, Turps has been busy distributing and backing up offloads. Kicking wise, his kicking against the Sharks was spot on but of late the incessant high bombs are currently not effective enough.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Dearden was a calm head and was taking pressure off Milford and as a result Milford was improving and getting back to being the dangerous player we all knew.

We didn't need a half that could do all the flashy stuff etc. We just needed one that could take the pressure off Milford and free him up to play the way he likes to play which was exactly what was happening.
You think Boyd needs the pressure taken off him so he can play the way he likes?

theshed

NRL Player

To be fair “serviceable” is exactly how I’d described Deardons performances in first grade. Which is good for an 18 year old half.

He definitely didn’t explode on to the scene like Shaun Johnson or DCE did. He didn’t even impress as much initially as Lachlan Lamb or Luke Brooks. He hasn’t created anything in attack. I rate the kid and think he will build into something quite good but calling what he’s displayed so far as serviceable is pretty realistic.

JAHHW

NRL Player
To be fair “serviceable” is exactly how I’d described Deardons performances in first grade. Which is good for an 18 year old half.

He definitely didn’t explode on to the scene like Shaun Johnson or DCE did. He didn’t even impress as much initially as Lachlan Lamb or Luke Brooks. He hasn’t created anything in attack. I rate the kid and think he will build into something quite good but calling what he’s displayed so far as serviceable is pretty realistic.
Fair enough.

However, I don’t think anyone is saying he’s been an out and out superstar, but I also think, as I mentioned, that people need to temper their expectations, particularly given the circumstances.

Just because Haas and Fifita have rolled out of grade 12 and into Origin, doesn’t mean that’s the norm.

I actually think, like Super Freak Super Freak said, Dearden was doing a fantastic job at providing this team exactly what it had been lacking for far too long - a calm and steady foil for our 6 (who was Milf at the time). Much like Perry did for Lockyer.

Difference between Perry and Dearden is that Dearden is at the start of his career, so has every chance to develop and turn into a superstar - but only time will tell.

So with all that in mind, plus his age and the position he found himself in with regards to team dynamics and performance, I genuinely think he was more than serviceable.

We also need to remember that spine players like Lockyer, KHunt and the ones you mentioned (that, unlike Lockyer and KHunt, have had overall indifferent careers (except maybe DCE)) don’t come along every day.

TL,DR; Dearden is tasked with wearing the #7 for the biggest league club in the world, I believe we need to give the kid time before we lump too much expectation on him.

theshed

NRL Player
Fair enough.

However, I don’t think anyone is saying he’s been an out and out superstar, but I also think, as I mentioned, that people need to temper their expectations, particularly given the circumstances.

Just because Haas and Fifita have rolled out of grade 12 and into Origin, doesn’t mean that’s the norm.

I actually think, like Super Freak Super Freak said, Dearden was doing a fantastic job at providing this team exactly what it had been lacking for far too long - a calm and steady foil for our 6 (who was Milf at the time). Much like Perry did for Lockyer.

Difference between Perry and Dearden is that Dearden is at the start of his career, so has every chance to develop and turn into a superstar - but only time will tell.

So with all that in mind, plus his age and the position he found himself in with regards to team dynamics and performance, I genuinely think he was more than serviceable.

We also need to remember that spine players like Lockyer, KHunt and the ones you mentioned (that, unlike Lockyer and KHunt, have had overall indifferent careers (except maybe DCE)) don’t come along every day.

TL,DR; Dearden is tasked with wearing the #7 for the biggest league club in the world, I believe we need to give the kid time before we lump too much expectation on him.
I also believe we should give him time and hope to see him develop. I am not putting any expectations in him.

Serviceable means “fulfilling its function adequately”. That’s not a negative. That’s exactly what those being defensive are describing. He was given a task and he performed that task adequately. That’s all you can ask. If he were doing that and also forcing repeat sets, kicking 40/20’s, creating line breaks, setting up tries, or scoring/breaking the line himself than he would be more than serviceable. But he hasn’t yet, so he has been serviceable. Which is great for a young guy with inexperience.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
broncsgoat broncsgoat in this instance is being realistic, Dearden has been serviceable, he certainly didn't set the world on fire with his appearances in top grade.

It is easy to see the appeal in the kid though, he anticipates and reads the game extremely well for someone his age, he defends very well for a half of any age and appeared to be quite elusive.

He also could become injury prone, suffer second year syndrome or turn out to be a dud. There are a lot of questions marks on him at this stage.

I personally don't mind he hasn't burst on to the scene because it means there is a little less expectation and he doesn't have a Tim Smith or Chris Sandow hype about him after a few games, therefore far less of a cliff to fall off.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff

You're absolutely correct, but there is a huge difference between being a serviceable run of the mill journeyman half who will fill a gap temporarily, and a serviceable 18 y/o who came into a team with a huge spine deficit, containing an over the hill FB, solid but slow and unimaginative hooker and a 5/8 forced to do work he wasn't particularly suited for.
The former isn't particularly positive, the latter is something to be optimistic about.

While he may not have set the world on fire with flashy plays, he was solid, confident and developing nicely into someone who can allow flashier colleagues to pick their moments.

I think and hope he will develop into more than that, but I would be happy if he became a reliable Shane Perry / Peter Wallace / Adam Reynolds type, which we have desperately been needing for quite a while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter