NEWS Finally, Good News for Broncos with Dearden Clear

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you come across as a terribly negative person in just about all of your posts.

Dearden played 5 games, is still only 18 (and a young 18 at that) and was handed the keys to the biggest RL club in the world. Arm chair critics can only imagine the huge expectation and pressure that comes with that.

Honesty, what was it that you expected from him in <400mins of first grade that you didn’t see and has you arrive at your evaluation of him?

Or rather, what should he have done that would have you actually write something positive for once?

Him registering any sort of attacking stat would be nice. I didn’t say he was bad, I said he was serviceable, if you want to go all in on him go for it.

Him registering any sort of attacking stat would be nice. I didn’t say he was bad, I said he was serviceable, if you want to go all in on him go for it.
Gillo did drop an absolute peach of a pass right onto the chest from Dearden that would have seen Gillo score untouched (not sure who it was against). He can't help that.

Who said anything about going all in on him?

My inference was that you seem to be awfully negative and pessimistic regarding just about everything Broncos related and that, given the limited time he’s had in the role, as well as the fact he is incredibly green, it might be reason to cut him some slack, maybe even focus on the positives.

For example; after only 5 games, he’s already shown he is tough and rugged in defence and is most certainly not scared to tackled the big blokes. He’s also shown he is incredibly relaxed, composed and has a decent kicking game. These are all things we’ve been lacking in a halfback for a number of years now.

If he hasn’t shown more skills after a full season at 7, then your assessment may carry some clout.

Until then, it really looks like little more than your typical negative agenda against all things Broncos sans Bennett.

Gillo did drop an absolute peach of a pass right onto the chest from Dearden that would have seen Gillo score untouched (not sure who it was against). He can't help that.

That may be so but one try assist in five games still isn’t a great return.
[automerge]1565127464[/automerge]

My inference was that you seem to be awfully negative and pessimistic regarding just about everything Broncos related and that, given the limited time he’s had in the role, as well as the fact he is incredibly green, it might be reason to cut him some slack, maybe even focus on the positives.

For example; after only 5 games, he’s already shown he is tough and rugged in defence and is most certainly not scared to tackled the big blokes. He’s also shown he is incredibly relaxed, composed and has a decent kicking game. These are all things we’ve been lacking in a halfback for a number of years now.

If he hasn’t shown more skills after a full season at 7, then your assessment may carry some clout.

Until then, it really looks like little more than your typical negative agenda against all things Broncos sans Bennett.

What fucking argument? I made a comment about him being serviceable and you go on some whack fucking diatribe. Calm down mate. I was responding to a comment about us not pinning our hopes on a kid and I agree. If you believe he was better than serviceable that’s great. I don’t. I’m not saying he won’t be but he didn’t set the world on fire or come anywhere close.

Last edited:
His talk and defense was more then serviceable for an 18 year old. He played to the instructions he was given according to Seibs. As the weeks rolled on he was to assume more and more of the responsibilities of a dominant playmaking half. Injury got in the way.

That may be so but one try assist in five games still isn’t a great return.
[automerge]1565127464[/automerge]

What fucking argument? I made a comment about him being serviceable and you go on some whack fucking diatribe. Calm down mate. I was responding to a comment about us not pinning our hopes on a kid and I agree. If you believe he was better than serviceable that’s great. I don’t. I’m not saying he won’t be but he didn’t set the world on fire or come anywhere close.
Ignoring the first half of your post (argument? I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about), I can see the notion of being positive rather than negative, along with tempering your expectations of a kid that is pretty much straight out of high school is lost on you, so I give up.

how many has Boyd got since playing 5/8th....id wager Turps has 100% improvement on him..:rofl

Well there is your attacking stat that you said "would be nice"
Unfortunately they don't count if they're not scored.

Ignoring the first half of your post (argument? I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about), I can see the notion of being positive rather than negative, along with tempering your expectations of a kid that is pretty much straight out of high school is lost on you, so I give up.

People accuse me of defaulting to being negative well I think a lot of people are just reaching desperately for positives in what really has been a dumpster fire of a season. You can call that negative and I'll call it realistic.

You can think he's the next coming of Alfie for all I care, what I said wasn't negative, it was accurate. He was steady without being outstanding or 'serviceable'.

@broncsgoat has a valid point, steady without being outstanding or 'serviceable'.
below stats posted a week ago on the other thread.

Player (Games)TriesForced Drop OutsAve. Kicks MetresTry AssistsLB AssistsTacklesTackle %Ave. Run MetresRun Metres
Tom Dearden (5)0094.0009480.146.8234
Sean O'Sullivan (3)00188.1126986.979.5238
Jake Turpin (9)21102.92126090.826.4237

Last edited:
@broncsgoat has a valid point, steady without being outstanding or 'serviceable'.
below stats posted a week ago on the other thread.
Neither Turps nor Durrius are elusive enough to run more, especially if the service is originating from Macca. But, even with Segy there, Turps isn't doing much with the football. I think maybe Segy and Turps should swap until Dearden and SOS return. Good luck hiding Durrius somewhere else.

Clearly Dearden has some attacking ability otherwise he would not have been given the nod in the first place.

What I really liked about him was his commitment in defence, his confidence and all round maturity. Imo these are traits that not all young playmakers posses, and often take years to develop.

It's all too common for a young dynamic half to come into the league, have a couple of flashy games, be labeled the next......(insert legendary playmakers name) than fizzle out because they cannot compete.

Dearden strikes me as the kind of player who will pay dividends if we invest in him.

It's all too common for a young dynamic half to come into the league, have a couple of flashy games, be labeled the next......(insert legendary playmakers name) than fizzle out because they cannot compete.

Dearden strikes me as the kind of player who will pay dividends if we invest in him.
I agree, but we also need to see some "flash" from him. The halves are the correct place for that. Macca has none. Turps has enough of it to be a decent hooker. Segy has it in spades. But halfback is another notch up again.

Last edited:
Dearden was a calm head and was taking pressure off Milford and as a result Milford was improving and getting back to being the dangerous player we all knew.

We didn't need a half that could do all the flashy stuff etc. We just needed one that could take the pressure off Milford and free him up to play the way he likes to play which was exactly what was happening.

I agree, but we also need to see some "flash" from him. The halves are the correct place for that. Macca has none. Turps has enough of it to be a decent hooker. Segy has it in spades. But halfback is another notch up again.

Yes we definitely need to see some more attack out of him and I'm sure we will.

Neither Turps nor Durrius are elusive enough to run more, especially if the service is originating from Macca. But, even with Segy there, Turps isn't doing much with the football. I think maybe Segy and Turps should swap until Dearden and SOS return. Good luck hiding Durrius somewhere else.

I disagree, Turps has been busy distributing and backing up offloads. Kicking wise, his kicking against the Sharks was spot on but of late the incessant high bombs are currently not effective enough.

Dearden was a calm head and was taking pressure off Milford and as a result Milford was improving and getting back to being the dangerous player we all knew.

We didn't need a half that could do all the flashy stuff etc. We just needed one that could take the pressure off Milford and free him up to play the way he likes to play which was exactly what was happening.
You think Boyd needs the pressure taken off him so he can play the way he likes?

To be fair “serviceable” is exactly how I’d described Deardons performances in first grade. Which is good for an 18 year old half.

He definitely didn’t explode on to the scene like Shaun Johnson or DCE did. He didn’t even impress as much initially as Lachlan Lamb or Luke Brooks. He hasn’t created anything in attack. I rate the kid and think he will build into something quite good but calling what he’s displayed so far as serviceable is pretty realistic.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • Redux
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BruiserMk1
  • Brocko
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  • Galah
  • westy316
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.