NEWS Finally, Good News for Broncos with Dearden Clear

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Tom Dearden after hurting his leg for the Broncos in June. Picture: Jono Searle/Getty Images

Tom Dearden after hurting his leg for the Broncos in June. Picture: Jono Searle/Getty Images

Young Broncos gun Tom Dearden injures leg in QCup return

Chris Honnery, The Courier-Mail
August 4, 2019 9:10pm

Last edited by a moderator:
In not such good news:

Brisbane meanwhile are hopeful rookie No.7 Tom Dearden has not done any serious damage to his ankle after going down in his first game back from surgery.

Dearden was helped from the field as he turned out for Wynum Manly in Queensland Cup, clutching at the same right ankle that sidelined him for two months.

Both he and Andrew McCullough (shoulder) will be assessed on Monday ahead of Thursday's Queensland derby with the Cowboys, with McCullough more likely to make the trip than Dearden.

In not such good news:

Brisbane meanwhile are hopeful rookie No.7 Tom Dearden has not done any serious damage to his ankle after going down in his first game back from surgery.

Dearden was helped from the field as he turned out for Wynum Manly in Queensland Cup, clutching at the same right ankle that sidelined him for two months.

Both he and Andrew McCullough (shoulder) will be assessed on Monday ahead of Thursday's Queensland derby with the Cowboys, with McCullough more likely to make the trip than Dearden.
I'm a mccullough-needs-to-be-dropped Kind of guy but he hasn't been bad the last few games. Segeyaro certainly didn't fix anything against the storm. Do I want him to stay there? No way, but he hasn't been drop worthy lately. Kind of unfortunately

All this says is that the Broncos are confident he hasn't suffered a serious injury.

There is nothing that says he hasn't. Let's wait to see what the professionals say instead of some journo.

I'm a mccullough-needs-to-be-dropped Kind of guy but he hasn't been bad the last few games. Segeyaro certainly didn't fix anything against the storm. Do I want him to stay there? No way, but he hasn't been drop worthy lately. Kind of unfortunately
Dont get me wrong i like macca and he tries, and i have noticed him trying to run more but you are exactly right, he doesnt really stick out by making obvious mistakes i.e dropped balls, missed tackles, penalties, lack of involvement.

His deficiencies have an impact on the team performance i.e. slower service and lack of deception gives the defence time to put pressure on our ball runners and players. His defence style conceeds post contact metres and not much control of the ruck which allows the other team momentum.

Like i said, i like macca but the demands of the common day hooker have gone beyond sound defence, serviceable passing game and the odd kick every now and then.

If Segeyaro and Turpin are given the hooking duties and can't get the job done the club will try someone else, going to the open market if need-be. If McCullough retains his spot in the 17 and his form dips again (although I'm of the opinion his form has been pretty much the same for his entire career), then who knows if he'll be dropped. Because it's never happened before. He's played 1 game of QCup in his life and that was for disciplinary reasons. Dropping him doesn't mean he can't be recalled if he's truly the best option we have.

All this says is that the Broncos are confident he hasn't suffered a serious injury.

There is nothing that says he hasn't. Let's wait to see what the professionals say instead of some journo.

Paul Devlin has since said this:

"It (Dearden's injury) looked dramatic but initially it looks like he is not too bad," said Devlin.
"Functionally he has progressed significantly and we don't anticipate him being out too long."

Locky said last night on that 100% footy show that he is a week away, which I assume would mean that he should be back next week. Whether they put him back thru q cup again, I am not sure.
There has been next to no news on SoS tho, which is odd. I thought he was suppose to be back this week.

Last edited:
And let’s face it, he was nothing more than serviceable when he was playing.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you come across as a terribly negative person in just about all of your posts.

Dearden played 5 games, is still only 18 (and a young 18 at that) and was handed the keys to the biggest RL club in the world. Arm chair critics can only imagine the huge expectation and pressure that comes with that.

Honesty, what was it that you expected from him in <400mins of first grade that you didn’t see and has you arrive at your evaluation of him?

Or rather, what should he have done that would have you actually write something positive for once?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mustafur
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.