Finally, our pack is looking the goods

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
One win doesn't make a season, and by Broncos standards this one so far as been Average as ****, but there's definitely reason to be optimistic about the future, especially at long long last for our front row.

Provided we re-sign everyone that we want to retain, our starting 8 thru 13 will look like this next year:

8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Joe O/McGuire
11. TPJ/Su'A/Glenn
12. Gillett
13. McGuire/TPJ/Joe O

If I had my way, McGuire would go back to Prop and Joe O would slot into 13 to allow TPJ to stay on the left edge, but any combination of those players that Wayne goes with will be a real winner. After suffering with mediocrity for so many seasons since Petero and Webcke retired, our motor is finally starting to look like a Mustang again instead of a Prius.

I've been really impressed with the forwards this year... still a long way to go, but they are looking like coming together. Retention will be vital in the coming years and I don't think we need to be looking outside either. Just retain retain retain!!!

Even though TPJ provides great impact and some ball playing at lock and prop, I'd really like to see him stay on that edge. He could be a serious weapon out there as evidenced by his consistent targetting of Cronk.

He's also got ball playing so he could quite easily be given a bit of early ball and either trample the half or throw a cut out to Oates if they start to cheat in a bit.

Should also look to bring back the outside inside ball Sammy and Khunt used to perfect except in this world have Milf and Boyd switch positions

We get them all on the field fully fit and we are really going to give a lot of teams something to think about

We get them all on the field fully fit and we are really going to give a lot of teams something to think about
Fully fit is the key. That's probably not going to happen this year with Gillo and Haas unlikely to return. Good for the future though even as early as next year. Add to that a healthy Bird playing in the halves and a reinvigorated Boyd and this team will be hard to beat.

As for the bench...

14. Haas
15. Fai
16. Taga
17. Mago/KNik/Carrigan/Flegler/Sims/Glenn

Again, I've said multiple times I'm more inclined towards an all forward bench, and just going on current form, Nikorima is starting to Wayne, so I'm hoping the likes of Mago and Carrigan at least go decently for the remainder of the year and give us something to think about. That 17 spot really is a lottery at this point, but I think 14 thru 16 are locked in.

It's our best pack since 2006.

That's why the "what's happening at the broncs" thread pisses me off so much. Ffs just open your eyes guys.

As for the bench...

14. Haas
15. Fai
16. Taga
17. Mago/KNik/Carrigan/Flegler/Sims/Glenn

Again, I've said multiple times I'm more inclined towards an all forward bench, and just going on current form, Nikorima is starting to Wayne, so I'm hoping the likes of Mago and Carrigan at least go decently for the remainder of the year and give us something to think about. That 17 spot really is a lottery at this point, but I think 14 thru 16 are locked in.

15 and 16 are in no way locked in. I can see Fai falling by the wayside as the likes of Flegler, Fafita and Carrigan surpass him. They probably already have. Fai has gotten by on potential for long enough. As for Taga, he'll be used like this year, to cover injuries and origin period if we even rign him to a new deal.

I hate how so many dismiss Glenn all the time. To have Taga and Fai ahead of him is well a joke. Especially when you have Glenn in your starting options yet not good enough to be a cert fof the bench if not starting. Then Sua not in the team if not stating as well. Rightio.

Last edited:
Oh jesus, another butthurt Glenn lover.

HE'S NOT THAT GOOD.

Alex Glenn is by no means a dud player, far from it. He's been very solid for us over a number of years and is one of Wayne Bennetts go-to players.

However, he is 30 years old now, and with such an outstanding group of young players at the club i find it hard to see how WB can keep him on the books for much longer.

I think both Glenn and Sims might be on the chopping block when the next lot of contracts are sorted out.

Oh jesus, another butthurt Glenn lover.

HE'S NOT THAT GOOD.

Good enough to be in consideration along side Sua and TPJ in YOUR original post for a starting spot.

What's Fai done? Seriously the guy has done nothing special but you have him locked in for a top 17 spot.

The BUTTHURT line really? You gonna go all Front Row forums on us? That's the pathetic shit they throw out instead of decent debate.

Good enough to be in consideration along side Sua and TPJ in YOUR original post for a starting spot.

What's Fai done? Seriously the guy has done nothing special but you have him locked in for a top 17 spot.

The BUTTHURT line really? You gonna go all Front Row forums on us? That's the pathetic shit they throw out instead of decent debate.

What I think of the player has no bearing on what Wayne will do, and I can comfortably say he is every chance of keeping Glenn in the side because he's always been a fan of having serviceable at best players in the side (Hello David Stagg)

TPJ has less than half the games that Glenn does, even less in the #11 jersey and is 8 years younger, and he's already twice as good.

What I think of the player has no bearing on what Wayne will do, and I can comfortably say he is every chance of keeping Glenn in the side because he's always been a fan of having serviceable at best players in the side (Hello David Stagg)

TPJ has less than half the games that Glenn does, even less in the #11 jersey and is 8 years younger, and he's already twice as good.

TPJ is a special kind of player though, that player that has the ability to be a once in a generation. You're comparing apples with oranges here. I understand the each to their own opinion wise, but little hard to understand your logic at all.

In a full strength side I would have

8 - Lodge
9 - McCullough
10 - McGuire
11 - Sua
12 - Gillett
13 - TPJ

14 - Offa
15 - Glenn
16 - Hass
17 - Mogo/Fafita/Carrigan/Flegler - haven't watched these guys to make any sort of call.

Don't see any room to lock Taga or Fai in as certs. Or even as maybes TBH.

How would Su'a go as lock, or Gillett? Just think TPJ should stay second row and so one of them has to move to 13 in order to facilitate that.

That bench is good and in 2 years time one of Flegler or Carrigan can replace Glenn, with Fifita eventually taking the 17 (I'd use Taga or Staggs on the bench until then, I didn't think Mago offered more than Taga could/has).

Our pack at the moment, even depleted, is already arguably the best in the comp when all the young kids come ready to play, as we saw in the Roosters, Warriors, and Cows games. Experience will only make them better. Seriously, they're winning us games despite having a make shit half back and a constantly rotating side.

You could argue that the Drags are better form wise, but I personally wouldn't take anyone from their pack if it meant losing one of our young talents. If they lost JDB and Frizzell (the equivalent of us losing McGuire and Gillett) I doubt they'd be able to cover as well as we have.

EDIT: Wallace and Arrow are examples of just how good our forward depth is. Both will be playing origin this year yet I wouldn't have them starting for us if they were still at the club.

On Arrow, didn't we let him go knowing that Carrigan was the better talent?

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.