Suncorp Stadium

Friday
Night
19:50

Storm

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for the week of hyperbole bs from the media/podcasters who hate us.

"There are cracks", "ye it was a bit side but it's a real problem for the broncos", "they have lost their rythym of winning", "Reynolds and the 10 other players coming back won't fiz these prpblems", "remember last year?", "their defence is not good enough", "the hoodoos", "no finals experience". I hope Walters is plastering this shit to their lockers...

There's a reason bloke in a bar is the most popular podcast by a country mile. The rest of the flogs are so boring and predictable, admit your bias and have someone on your shows who is positive about the most supported team in the nrl, derp derp not rocket science.
Bloke is the best poddy because it’s run by a broncos fan imo 🫠

And yet, we've got people screaming for Oates to replaced by Arthars. At least Oates has been injured and short of a gallop, what is Arthars excuse?

Who is screaming for it?

Not yet.

They will likely be sent Sunday night.

Hey is there just one code man? Got an email about buying a 20 dollar membership to get early finals tickets?

Read the last couple of pages. And other threads.

Oh didn’t realise it was a thing beyond last page but yeah, seems some want Oates gone.

I prefer Oates if both are at full strength but Jesse has been good this year when required. Not great last night though.

We all love Oates and I don’t necessarily think he should be replaced but I also don’t think people wanting to float it should be shouted down. I was honestly shocked at how much speed he has lost. Yes he was never the fastest winger but with the speed of todays game and what he has lost it was quite staggering. Metres out of the back aside I am not sure how much longer a winger with such limited speed can last in today’s game.

We all love Oates and I don’t necessarily think he should be replaced but I also don’t think people wanting to float it should be shouted down. I was honestly shocked at how much speed he has lost. Yes he was never the fastest winger but with the speed of todays game and what he has lost it was quite staggering. Metres out of the back aside I am not sure how much longer a winger with such limited speed can last in today’s game.

Yeah, this. The last two weeks he looks either underdone, lost a step, or disinterested - maybe from the 'insulting' contract. I really do hope its the first one and he gets back to his damaging best, but I posited a couple of weeks back that he might go into 2025 as our third-best wing option. Honestly probably lucky Herbie is moving on, or he could be fourth.

This may be a bit crazy, but can Oates become an interchange prop next season to replace Flegler? He essentially plays like one in terms of his yardage. The only question mark would be how he goes on the defensive side.

Oates isn't playing terribly, but having lost some speed over the years, I'm not sure how long he can stay on the wing. The second-row experiment probably should not be revisited when we have Riki, Piakura, and Capewell, which leaves his options a bit limited.

I would absolutely hate to see a club legend like Oates being dropped out of the side all together though.

If Arthars played the house down last night, I could get on board with it too but he was at best just as bad as Oates was, arguably worse. And I am not one who is precious about Oates, I want him replaced by Mariner. I just think in a head to head with Arthars, Oates comfortably wins. Arthars has been great all year but Oates has an extra level he can go to IF he is fit and firing that Arthars can't.

Oates has a wonderful career of excellence (save for the Seibold years) and that should count when two players are somewhat similar. If Oates and Mariner aren't fit, than I have full confidence in Arthars but in this modern NRL game, yardage from the backs are vital on the front end of sets and this is why Penrith are so good. Their back five make metres like forwards and it is also why the Sharks are more competitive than they should be as well. Oates gives us a heck of a 1-3 punch with Cobbo and Herbie. Arthars doesn't have that ability as his strengths are different.

This may be a bit crazy, but can Oates become an interchange prop next season to replace Flegler? He essentially plays like one in terms of his yardage. The only question mark would be how he goes on the defensive side.

Oates isn't playing terribly, but having lost some speed over the years, I'm not sure how long he can stay on the wing. The second-row experiment probably should not be revisited when we have Riki, Piakura, and Capewell, which leaves his options a bit limited.

I would absolutely hate to see a club legend like Oates being dropped out of the side all together though.

Even if he loses some of his pace, in the limited interchange and HIA era, he is the perfect 17 - a guy who can play in forwards or backs.

I like the idea but can he handle the workload in the middle? He's a big body sure but he's never played in the forwards at top level - does he have the engine? If he does, he could be a very handy benchy, like a late stage Mick Hancock.

Even if he loses some of his pace, in the limited interchange and HIA era, he is the perfect 17 - a guy who can play in forwards or backs.
Agree. Though I don't necessarily want him just sitting on the bench in case of an injury. I'd rather there be a plan for him to play prop every week, and if an injury comes up that requires a reshuffle, at a pinch he could come in and play in the backline.

Mick Hancock moved to the interchange when he lost his speed, and extended his career by doing so. Not a bad option for Corey, though we're not exactly wanting in bench forwards.

I like the idea but can he handle the workload in the middle? He's a big body sure but he's never played in the forwards at top level - does he have the engine? If he does, he could be a very handy benchy, like a late stage Mick Hancock.
Yeah that is my only question. We know he has the engine with ball in hand. It's the repeated defensive workload which I am concerned about.

In saying that though, he is likely much more fitter than some of the other props running around at other teams, and with a full preseason he could definitely handle it.

Someone like Taupau only plays 20min stints anyway. I reckon Oates would as a minimum match that with a better output in terms of carries and metres.

Well you know I don't need much prompting for a list:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen/Baker
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Mozer
15. Hetherington
16. Willison/Oates
17. Oates/Piakura

You could run with something like this.

Mick Hancock moved to the interchange when he lost his speed, and extended his career by doing so. Not a bad option for Corey, though we're not exactly wanting in bench forwards.
With the loss of Palasia and Flegler, we only really have Willison that can replace them at the moment. Taupau is getting older, and will definitely miss a few games with stupid suspensions every now and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Santa
  • JamesC
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.