Finals Week 1 Discussion

61 - TRY West Tigers

Heleta takes it one off the ruck, shrugs off a few defenders and burts through straight under the posts.

Tigers 22-18.

73 - Tigers Try

Martin takes it to the line, sells a dummy before hitting Ogden with a shorter pass who forces his way over.

28-18 Tigers.

FT - Tigers make a mistake off a scrum and Hughes ends up racing 70m to score a late consolation try.

Tigers win 28-24.

And with that we say goodbye to Souths NYC for 2014.

It was something of an interesting game in a lot of ways. The Tigers started with a lot of purpose and were just ripping and tearing through a hapless Souths outfit but once they hit 16 points, it seemed like they didn't care to put in the hard work and they found themselves stuck in the quicksand as Souths clawed their way back into the contest.

I thought Souths really had the chance to put the game away when Ofa Felila crashed over but just as he was about to plant the ball, he just got a little bit over-excited and in the process lost control.

This gave the Tigers a sniff and they just had too much class for the Souths. Heleta's try was special, putting his hand up to take a hit-up, fighting in the tackle and finding his way on the otherside to score was a great effort and when they had a chance to ice it, they took it as Martin ran a very smart well worked play down the touchline to put the game away.

I thought Souths were gallant and were pleased with the likes of Brad Wall, Cam McInnes, Cheyne Whitelaw & Brock Gray. I still wonder how they would have gone if they had have kept John Olive in their line-up as they looked a little unsure down one touchline but they could be there abouts next season if their coach, Gardiner can get them to play patient footy.

Meanwhile the Tigers live to fight another day and may welcome Cherrington back at hooker who they clearly missed because their service around the ruck at times was quite sloppy. I don't think Webster will be too happy with his team and will be expecting a better effort next week.

Tonight's final is not live in QLD. Ridiculous.

I had a look at a live stream and had a look at the TV, there was at least a 30 second delay.

Last edited:
I'm sure I missed the reasoning but why isn't it at Brookvale? I thought home city/state only applied in week 3.

Not 'fit' enough to host a final.

I see both sides of the argument to be honest.

I've got no problem with that try.

Good start for Souths.

Tuqiri is turning back the clock at the moment - both him and Walker having a strong opening to the clash.

Reynolds scores 6-0.

Hodges down again.

Not good for Manly. They don't really have a back up..

The refs really do look stupid with the camera on their heads...

Has there been a better centre all year than Walker?

Good work from Reynolds to set Keary up.

I reckon this is game over.

Manly are a rabble at the moment.

Hodges is struggling big time out there. Their forwards aren't making any ground, they are constantly pushed back. Souths speed on the edges is troubling them big time..

Brett Stewart has been average tonight. Twice a grubber was put through. The 1st time, Stewart failed to clean it up and the second time, he wasn't even there..

If Souths keep this up, they have it won.

Last edited:
Starling is lucky to be on the field still.

Once again Souths makes a heap of ground spreading the ball.

Wow, what a mistake from Johnston there.

Great work from Brett to disrupt him.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Emanon
  • Jedhead
  • winslow_wong
  • ezpz
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Stix
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • thenry
  • Robboi_321
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.