Sep 6, 2013
You don't just slip over for no reason.

6c4a0e69437888a83cb4f702ba26db6e

This guy disagrees.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Didn't we beat the roosters with him starting earlier in the year and he also had a blinder winning himself a contract extension?

Ok ... so what one for 8 when a contract extension on the line? Not good enough in my book and it isn't that I got it in for the guy as he seems a top bloke. Just saying that when he starts we lose.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Isaako is still training with the Broncos, he was a reserve last week.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the arrangement is that the reserves train all week with the Broncos until the squad is finalised and they all go their separate ways?

Yeah they'd normally train all week with Brisbane then go to their ISC team's last session- Redcliffe players are the only ones that applies to now.

Renegades are still there giving the NRL team opposition.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
I've been really impressed with them since Thursto got injured (not to mention Matt Scott). I think a lot of people were expecting them to fall away after origin. Morgan has really stepped up and I think they will be even harder to beat next year now that they don't have to rely on just Thurston to get them home.
To be fair they've been terrible on back end of the season, an amazing game by taumalolo and Morgan won them the game. I think they'll get tossed aside this weekend.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
To be fair they've been terrible on back end of the season, an amazing game by taumalolo and Morgan won them the game. I think they'll get tossed aside this weekend.

I'm not saying they'll get any further this year, my observation was that Thurston only played 7 games for them this season and they managed to limp into the finals. In the past you could write them off if Thurston went down. Morgan is getting things done and it bodes well for next year if they aren't so reliant on one player.

bigmick

bigmick

Jul 20, 2017
I'm not saying they'll get any further this year, my observation was that Thurston only played 7 games for them this season and they managed to limp into the finals. In the past you could write them off if Thurston went down. Morgan is getting things done and it bodes well for next year if they aren't so reliant on one player.

I know everyone feels very sorry for the Cows given their terrible injury predicament but the stats show over the last 2 weeks they have won the penalty count something like 21 -7. This is far greater than any statistically anomaly and I don't know when any side has been on the good of a 21/7 penalty account over a 2 week period since I can remember ever. Even going back for half a dozen or so rounds before that they have won every penalty count - its about 46/28 the last 6 weeks or so. It's obvious the NRL has plenty of love for the Cows at the moment. Every 50/50 call in the second half on Sunday went their way except for the strip awarded to the Sharks on tackle 5 - both the Fensom and Gallen drop/strip incidents similar and should have received the same treatment not differing treatment - not to mention the alleged loose carry on Lewis when JT13 clearly knocked the ball out of his hands and was 2nd in tackle which should have been a sharks penalty.
The Cows looked shot in the first 20 on the weekend and any side that could have pieced together any decent attack would have racked up at least 3 tries against them by the 20min mark- it should have been game over by half time.
But in the modern game if you don't convert field position into points it will come back and bite you on the back side - look at the us in 2015 GF second half - we were more intent on field position / kicking for touch than actually scoring points. The Eels throw a lot more at you than the Sharks and will have far too much attack for the the Cows this weekend. Eels were very decent against the storm - I expect them to win comfortably this weekend even if they can play to about 75% to 80% of the level they played at against the Storm. Even a likely favorable penalty count for the Cows won't be enough this weekend (unless say 20/5)....
Furthermore I am interested to hear other opinions on the very favorable treatment the Cows have received from the NRL refs this year....

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=7f268a0ed1c8d0b3a5525fbf1b04cf6b-1505184177

THE Broncos are increasingly confident champion skipper Darius Boyd will overcome a hamstring injury to play in Friday night’s sudden-death finals clash with Penrith.
Boyd ramped up his recovery today at Red Hill, taking part in a series of sprints before joining the squad to catch high balls in the most promising yet sign he will be fit to face the Panthers.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
Furthermore I am interested to hear other opinions on the very favorable treatment the Cows have received from the NRL refs this year....

I had a look at the stats over that last few months and if you ignore the last 2 games it doesn't look toooo bad.

I haven't watched all of the Cowboys games, so I can't comment on the flow of the game or the 50/50 calls, but based on the penalties conceded, I made the following observations.

The Cowboys are in the bottom half (11th) of the ladder when it comes to penalties conceded, so they aren't top offenders to start with. They also played the Sharks (twice), Storm, Panthers and Roosters who concede more on average than they do. Storm, Sharks and Panthers are top 5 for penalties conceded.

Breaking it down game by game (ignoring the last 2 games), they had 3 home games, winning the penalty count by +3 (2-0, one split). Of the home games they only won 1 game by 12 pnts with a +1 penalty count. They lost the other 2 by -28 pnts combined with a +2 penalty count. Looks okay to me, points gap wasn't too close and neither was they penalty count gap....and they lost more games than they won.

They had 4 away games winning the penalty count by +4 (3-1). They won 2 and lost 2 of those games. The wins were by +13 and +8 and the penalty counts were +3 and +1 respectively. The losses were by -6 and -8 points and the penalty counts were -2 and +2. So again, nothing too obvious. The closest loss they had, they also lost the penalty count, so no conspiracy here.

Vs Season | Pen. Cnt | H/A | Pen. Cnt | W/L | PD
Sharks (186 - 1st) A 11-5 Cowboys +6 W +1
Broncos (141 - 14th) H 9-2 Cowboys +7 L -10
Tigers (134 - 15th) A 7-6 Cowboys +1 W +8
Sharks (186 - 1st) H 9-9 Split 0 L -10
Panthers (173 - 5th) A 8-6 Cowboys +2 L -8
Storm (183 - 2nd) H 9-7 Cowboys +2 L -18
Roosters (160 - 9th) A 7-9 Roosters -2 L -6
Warriors (147 - 13th) H 8-7 Cowboys +1 W +12
Rabbits (149 - 12th) A 8-5 Cowboys +3 W +13

Cowboys (151 - 11th)

Having said all that, the last 2 games, the penalty counts did blow out. They were fairly soundly beaten by the Broncos and then just won against the Sharks, some could argue that they wouldn't have won without the one sided penalty count, but the Sharks are the highest penalised side in the comp and they did have one player sin binned (another possible argument over whether he should have been sinbinned to start with).

As I said, numbers don't tell the whole story, but it's hard to make much of a case for it from this. They did win a lot of penalty counts, most by 1 to 2 penalties, but they also lost more games than they won.

I do agree with you though, I think they'll need another penalty count blowout in their favour to win this weekend. That would make 3 blowouts in a row and then maybe I'll have to reassess my findings :P

PS, i apologise for the formatting and clarity of my points. I confused myself a few times.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
I hope that Wayne decides to start Ese. We need to start one of our young front rowers and I would prefer to keep Ofa on the bench to provide impact. And Ese ain't bad so he needs to start
That's what I call backing up my arguments with solid points and yeah

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
Boyd is on the extended bench same with Tevita

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
I wonder if a late change will happen with Boyd is mostly unlikely though. Or will he change Kahu to fullback again.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I hope that Wayne decides to start Ese. We need to start one of our young front rowers and I would prefer to keep Ofa on the bench to provide impact. And Ese ain't bad so he needs to start
That's what I call backing up my arguments with solid points and yeah

Blair doesn't deserve run on the way he's been playing but being that this could be his last ever game for the broncos he'll probably turn in a big one. If not then thanks for the memories, cya bye.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
1420536256.png
1420530976.png
1. Kodi Nikorima
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Tautau Moga
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Anthony Milford
7. Benji Marshall
8. Sam Thaiday
9. Ben Hunt
10. Adam Blair
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire

14. David Mead
15. Jai Arrow
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Herman Ese'ese

18. Darius Boyd
19. Jaydn Su'A
20. Jamayne Isaako
21. Tevita Pangai Junior
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Tyrone Peachey
4. Dean Whare
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Tyrone May
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Peter Wallace
10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Isaah Yeo
13. Trent Merrin

14. Sione Katoa
15. Bryce Cartwright
16. Moses Leota
17. James Fisher-Harris

18. Jarome Luai
19. Viliami Kikau
20. Sitaleki Akauola
21. Jed Cartwright
Coach: Wayne BennettCoach: Anthony Griffin
Referees:
Touch Judges:
Video Referees:
Venue: Suncorp Stadium
Kick-Off: 7:55pm
Broadcasters: Channel 9 and FoxLeague
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
O thank you sweet baby Jesus no Mead not even on extended yes. O no wait he's there kill me now Bennett.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
O thank you sweet baby Jesus no Mead not even on extended yes. O no wait he's there kill me now Bennett.
He's on the bench. Number 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Midean
  • jd87
  • Wolfie
  • Lostboy
  • The Strapper
  • ezpz
  • Shane Tronc
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.