Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Yeah, unless you can boot the ball 60 metres on the fly like Austin or something, might as well go for a short one.

Do you remember the 09 Grand Final?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chambers make a huge leap from outside of his 10m line to play at a short kick off that failed to go the 10? It proved a huge turning point and the Eels nearly stole the game from Melbourne.

I wonder if there's any footage?

Yeah it was a short drop out from memory.

It wasn't ever going the 10 and he jumps from an onside position to get it and Archer pinged him for it and Gould explained the rule.

Then Eels go up the other end and score not long after.

Not much footage around of that 09 finals series, might be some on YouTube.

Edit: Flaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually makes sense. You get the ball back or you are defending on your line without wasting energy to sprint up to the 30/40 and then end up back on your line anyway. Plus you have a set defensive line straight away that aren't stuffed from sprinting 40.

And most of the opposition props are way back on the 50.

I remember when the Jets did the first ever short drop out in 2015. It was amazing to watch. Can't believe nobody had ever done it before that.

It's much easier for us to defend inside our ten than it is to defend 30 metres out. Can't let players build up speed to run at Milford and Moga.

I remember when the Jets did the first ever short drop out in 2015. It was amazing to watch. Can't believe nobody had ever done it before that.

It's much easier for us to defend inside our ten than it is to defend 30 metres out. Can't let players build up speed to run at Milford and Moga.
Yeah, Chris Walker was saying the same thing on Insta as if the Jets invented the short drop-out.

Are you suggesting the prevalence of short drop outs and kick offs hasn't increased since the Jets?

Are you suggesting the prevalence of short drop outs and kick offs hasn't increased since the Jets?

Difficult to argue, the Dogs did it all season... Backfired a few times, but worked plenty of times too.

I'm suggesting that if you could get away with it you would claim the Jets invented tackling around the legs.

Short drop outs perhaps.

But short kicks off? Not really. Teams still only do it when they are behind on the scoreboard and don't have much time left, which has been happening for years now. Before the Jets started doing it.

If you factor in other grades, the Conlon drop-out has definitely become more prevalent in the game.

It's not particularly about kicking it high and hoping it goes 10, it's about making it as difficult as possible for your opposition to get the ball back. Turning what was once a free-play into another contest.

I think the jets have been great for the game or more pointedly, the walker brothers and the way they coach them. I also think, whilst Bennet probably doesnt want them doing their tactics wholesale, he's happy to let them use them to mix things up, IF they have demonstrated those skills successfully.
To me, it would have been great to see the walker brothers given a go at the titans. That club really has nothing to lose, and it would boost the crowd figures, atleast for a little while. As it is, the game is becoming a game of tactics "wrote in stone", with almost every club playing similar styles, similar defence, attack, even players, barring a couple of exceptions.
Bennet has used different tactics to other clubs, because his teams have the majority of players developed from club juniors and the irregularities of player types that brings.
Right now we resemble the old west tigers with AdLib play. With Lockyer and his precision, it was lots of set plays setting up kicks. When thorn, civeniceva and co, it was almost cantebury.

If you factor in other grades, the Conlon drop-out has definitely become more prevalent in the game.

It's not particularly about kicking it high and hoping it goes 10, it's about making it as difficult as possible for your opposition to get the ball back. Turning what was once a free-play into another contest.

It's increased dramatically. Teams still aren't bold enough to copy the kick offs as much.

People focus too much on the fact it doesn't work 100% of the time. It gets you a contest which gets you one or two sets you weren't going to have. Either by you getting it back or them dropping it.

You can prepare as much as you like but catching a football drilled at knee height at you is hard to catch.

I think the jets have been great for the game or more pointedly, the walker brothers and the way they coach them. I also think, whilst Bennet probably doesnt want them doing their tactics wholesale, he's happy to let them use them to mix things up, IF they have demonstrated those skills successfully.
To me, it would have been great to see the walker brothers given a go at the titans. That club really has nothing to lose, and it would boost the crowd figures, atleast for a little while. As it is, the game is becoming a game of tactics "wrote in stone", with almost every club playing similar styles, similar defence, attack, even players, barring a couple of exceptions.
Bennet has used different tactics to other clubs, because his teams have the majority of players developed from club juniors and the irregularities of player types that brings.
Right now we resemble the old west tigers with AdLib play. With Lockyer and his precision, it was lots of set plays setting up kicks. When thorn, civeniceva and co, it was almost cantebury.

I was discussing this the other day. Every team used to provide something different.

Eels would innovate with walls and kicks. Raiders introduced slide defence; they would compress up and slide off because they had small forwards but fast backs. They wanted you to think that there was space out wide. Dogs had brutal umbrella defence they'd force you back to the middle where ruthless machines like Tunks and Gillespie would hurt you.

Teams have subtle difference but largely a sameness now.

To me good coaching is either a style then find the players that can do it. I just read Paul Roos' book and that's what he did. He gave away first round draft picks to build the Swans by recruiting 22-23 year old not getting a go at other clubs.

Or like the Walkers having the players and then finding a style because you don't have the money to buy players. This is our squad what are their skills let's use them and coach them to use them.

Just being rigid and copying no matter what the skills of your players is not good coaching.

Or even worse coaching skill out of players so you can finish a game at 70% completion.

It's increased dramatically. Teams still aren't bold enough to copy the kick offs as much.

People focus too much on the fact it doesn't work 100% of the time. It gets you a contest which gets you one or two sets you weren't going to have. Either by you getting it back or them dropping it.

You can prepare as much as you like but catching a football drilled at knee height at you is hard to catch.

they only copied the short kickoff from union, they have been doing them for decades :P

they only copied the short kickoff from union, they have been doing them for decades :p

Yeah that's true but union only does high to the 10m. Jets have a couple of variations.

League doesn't have contests to get the ball back anymore. I'd like to see more.

Active Now

• kiwi2
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • Brocko
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrRobot
  • BroncoFan94
  • The Don
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Browny
  • broncs30
  • Manlyman
  • Financeguy
  • Old Mate
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.