Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

We once again tripped at the finish line. Cowboys showed they have better leadership and determination.

Shame about our halves performance.

Shame about our coaches performance.

Shame that Gillette thought he was Reynolds for a minute there.

Shame we have a centre with a very small brain. Roberts doesn't kick a guy and not get suspended we likely win that as we wouldn't once again end up with Glenn in the centres. If that wasn't a wake up call for the 10 cent head, there will never be one.

Shame we will have to wait yet another fucking year for any form of Bronco redemption.

We won a premiership with Shane Perry. Lay off the halves.

You forget there was also Lockgodyer. Probably in the best form of his career. And Perry was a good foil for him back then. Our halves are like Lockyer ingrown toenails compared to the great man.

I think the reduction of interchange killed Broncos season. Broncos forward pack gone be one of lighter pack in the competition. If Maguire gone be playing front row next year Broncos need some big size forward next year with him.

Wayne Bennett didn't seem to think so, considering he didn't even using Pangai until extra time..

Well, we threw that one away! A loss like that pretty much sums up our season. Bring on 2017

Last edited:
Honestly, I thought it would hurt losing this game.

I don't even care.

Maybe it was the fact that I had other issues on my mind or the fact that I had prepared myself for a loss, but yeah, don't care that we lost. We weren't getting to the GF with the way we were playing the last few weeks.

Just go read the Ben Hunt thread mate, every possible reason under the sun has been posted in there.

A kick is only as a good as its chase. The amount of uncontested high balls from our kicks are quite disappointing. Have a look at the Cowboys, and even the Titans in the previous week. They were hardly perfect kicks, but it was made into a contest. With the pressure applied through just being in the picture, it forced a few errors.

Hunt pretty regularly hits a good bomb, that is neither too deep, nor too short, so why aren't we contesting any of them? There's a lot of kicks that aren't even that bad, but the opposition get an easy run back from their 10m mark because of a lack of a serious chase.

Woke up this morning first thought was... Broncos lost last night.. to those stinking cows.

Another year to wait. Too filthy to be magnanimous towards the Cows hope Sharks thrash them well.

Gutted, A lot of blame has been put on the halves and rightly so. but... for me the plain reason we lost that game was the unbelievably stupid trip attempt by Gillette. I know he is a good defender but IMO he has never had much smarts between the ears. Dumb as proved in quite a few games just like Ben and milf can be.

The other thing that bothered me was that much as I love Corey Parker he has NEVER been a lucky or consistent winning captain.
We need a new skipper with a strong character and a guy the rest of the players really look up to e.g. a Locky, a Smithy or a JT. Till we get that we will continue to lose in tight games.

I also agree with trying to get some size into out forwards.... no matter how gutsy a forward player is.. if we cant intimidate the opposition with size and strength we will continue to struggle up front. (no disrespect to our current forwards as they did as good a job as they could).

Hope I stay well enough to see another bronco GF win before my time is up but just a bit deflated today.

Thanks for the effort guys just not quite good enough this year.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to next season now. Every season after a grand final is always somewhat flat for fans and players. Hard to match that high from a previous year.

Our consistency was Jeckle and Hyde.
But I'm convinced we need some mountain men up front. We are starting to look like ants.

Please elaborate.

JT, Cronk etc can visualise what they will do in certain circumstances. 9/10 they will do it & it will work.

JT, Cronk can even guess what the other team are going to do before they do it.

Hunt can't even visualise who he will pass the ball to.

JT, Cronk etc can visualise what they will do in certain circumstances. 9/10 they will do it & it will work.

Yeah but the bigger problem for mine is Milford dropping the ball constantly and at crucial moments. If I'm not mistaken he dropped it twice in perfect attacking position with tackles to spare, maybe even 3 times. Milfors hurt our chances much more than Hunt did.

Plus hunts defence is way better than milfords.

I think the reduction of interchange killed Broncos season. Broncos forward pack gone be one of lighter pack in the competition. If Maguire gone be playing front row next year Broncos need some big size forward next year with him.

Tend to agree with this tbh. I remember at the start of the season when we were winning, our intensity would always drop for 15-20 minutes and it would just look like we were gassed.

Well a lot of Cronks game is manufactured, pre-planned and structured. There's nothing about reading a game in what he does. Yes, he has over the years learned to read a game better, but even still, Its all just him executing a game plan. Everything he does in a game, he has done countless times at training that week. He barely plays what he sees. The beauty in his game is that all his work is done outside the actual game. A large part of the credit deserves to go to the coaching staff at Melbourne as well as the players around him. The likes of Proctor and Harris have tremendously helped Cronks game, by being where they need to be when he hits them off a short ball.

Hunt is a different type of play who doesn't do well in structure. He plays what he sees like a natural playmaker, but often his teammates don't put themselves in a position for Hunt to do anything. They all just stand flat footed without even trying to push up in support. If one of our players for once charges forward at speed on the inside or outside hip of Hunt, it provides him with options, and the opposition gets worried. That's when Hunt is dangerous. We don't need Hunt to pre plan a decision, we want the opposition to make the decision for him. We have seen many times, when the defence is in two minds, Hunt picks the right option, whether it be dummy and go himself, play the short side, or a cut out pass on the edge for a try. We just have to provide him those opportunities away from the try line as well.

As for Thurston, its the same with him. The players around him give him options. When he has options, he makes the opposition make the decisions for him and its simple from there. Its why when teams targeted Thurston, they not only cut out his time, but they cut out the time of the players around him to get in position. By doing that, Thurston looks both ways and he has no one to pass it to, and becomes easy pickings for the defence.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.