Finals Week 2

As much as I hate the Cowboys. I hate Sydney more, I hope we have no Sydney teams in the GF again.
Yes please. Go the Cowboys next week against the chooks!

2 major injuries, that's it. Sure they're two rep players but so what, every other team has had players with season ending injuries and long term outs.

Let's stop making out like they're running out with a reserve grade side each week.

All that aside they're playing outstanding football at the right time of the year and the majority of that is down to Morgan, Taumaolo and Green.

Yeah, let's not forget who they are missing.

Name me the last side that has suffered two such losses, who are also their captains, for most of the season and still made the preliminary final.

This is why there is so much hype about them.

Yeah, let's not forget who they are missing.

Name me the last side that has suffered two such losses, who are also their captains, for most of the season and still made the preliminary final.

This is why there is so much hype about them.
But their win rate without Thurston was 8/17... they miss the finals if he didn't play 7 games which they won 5 of. And they only made the finals if due to the dragons choking. The 2 finals games have been a blend of great tactics by Paul green, taumololo and the other team taking them lightly/choking. Because of the hype they are receiving from the media it will paper over the cracks how much they will struggle without Thurston. Give teams an off season to look at the Martin-Morgan combo, and taumololo eventually tapering down (yes he's young and will continue to be great but he's a middle forward and teams will start to tailor their game plans more towards him when thurston retires, dulling his effect despite him continuing to play good just like burgess).

We had more players out last night then they did. Also our captain, our starting hooker (and defensive workhorse), our starting prop also, and our best impact player from the bench. We lost our star winger and metre eater within 25 mins, and finished with 1 player on the bench. Our defensive effort was Better then the cowboys. But hey, our team played crap and the cowboys are amazing according to half the people on here. We have had just as many injuries as them, only difference is they have happened later in the season (when you need the players more actually), whereas theirs happened early but they all came back. They currently have 2 players out. Out of a 25 man squad lol. If they invest half their cap in 2 players then they get injured it doesn't make them amazingly brave if they win. Why the hell shouldn't they keep winning?! (Which they have done at a much lower strike rate). Otherwise it'd be poor recruitment by the cowboys, that's all!

We've got to remember this is the same Eels outfit that loss to the Newcastle Knights not that long ago.

They have these bad performances in them.
I was listening to MMM yesterday and they were interviewing someone (think it was Norman) who admitted that they seem to get up for big games and struggle against lesser teams.

But hey, our team played crap and the cowboys are amazing according to half the people on here.

Just to be clear though, there is a middle ground, you don't have to think only one of those wins was good or one was bad. You can think both the Broncs AND Cows wins were good, I for one have said about both they were good wins, just different.

The Broncs had a lot of injuries and held out the league's best finishing side fairly comfortably in a scrappy affair, that is a very good win in my book as at this time of year, scrappy and desperate often beats free-flowing and slick. It has me believing that with a lot of things going our way, we could take this thing out.

The Cows were almost perfect in their execution and blunted the second team (on form) to the point of making them implode, different style win but again, very good nonetheless. Both teams had good victories and are very real chances to line up again in another GF.

On first view it appeared the Eels looked short of a gallop. In hindsight it's fair to say they threw everything at the Storm the week before and had nothing left to give. Meanwhile despite playing an extra ten minutes the Cowboys took a lot of belief out of their win against the Sharks.

The key for them was that try to Kyle Feldt. After that Radradra try they could have easily dropped their heads and let the Eels roll over them. Instead the Cowboys sucked it up, exploited the poor defence down the Eels right hand side and Feldt came up with a spectacular finish.

I thought the standard was definitely better than what we saw last night and the Cowboys continue to impress despite their season being written off all the way back in Round 9.

That is one of the frustrating things about the Broncs. We don't seem to have a plan to identify and exploit weaknesses.
We have a lot of talent and can go all the way but we rely so much on the individual to crack defences instead of attacking known deficiencies.

That is one of the frustrating things about the Broncs. We don't seem to have a plan to identify and exploit weaknesses.
We have a lot of talent and can go all the way but we rely so much on the individual to crack defences instead of attacking known deficiencies.

Very good points and I agree. I guess the one good thing about that for next week is that the Storm don't really have any deficiencies, so individual brilliance is what we need to rely upon really...and somehow trying to hide our glaring left side problem.

Shouldn't that come down to coaching? Do we study each team individually and nut out some tactics to exploit a teams weakness or do we purely just work on getting our own game right?

Shouldn't that come down to coaching? Do we study each team individually and nut out some tactics to exploit a teams weakness or do we purely just work on getting our own game right?
Absolutely it comes from coaching. Getting our game right is all important but the way Green planned for a crack at semi on a short side knowing he will be aggressive coming in to shut down was great coaching.

Munster has that in him so does Chambers, both can be tempted into breaking shape if we throw the right move at them.
The other thing I would do is throw lots of traffic at Smith and lead with the shoulder at his head.

If they are going to catch and slow us down then try and make as hard a contact as legally possible.

We don't seem to have a plan to identify and exploit weaknesses.

I disagree with that.

Against Penrith the plan seemed to be to cut back through the inside to exploit the Panthers around the middle. It worked a treat with Oates but then when he came off the Broncos could rarely get into position. However, you could see what the gameplan was, particularly with Milford challenging the big slugs through the middle and nearly breaking through on a few occasions.

The difference between the two teams is that the Cowboys have Taumalolo and a better kicking game. The Cowboys don't throw offloads, they don't chance their hand, they just roll through and back their kicking game, weight of possession or the finishing ability of Feldt to get themselves over.

You have to admit, the Cowboys have an outstanding organisation. Parra was never a genuine premiership threat, neither is the team they put 50 on a couple weeks ago.

I think we are definitely a genuine premiership threat.

Absolutely. I believe we are the only team capable of matching the Storm at our respective bests. Our problem will be whether our best or worst turns up because we don't have much in between.

Exactly my thinking. People forget the injury toll we have had this season too.

I really don't see how this isn't a shoulder charge.

Arm by the side, making contact with the shoulder without any attempt to wrap the arms around. Textbook shoulder charge by the new definition.

Escaped being charged, though.

Snapshot

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Manofoneway
  • lynx000
  • Allo
  • mitch222
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Skathen
  • johnny plath
  • The Don
  • Xzei
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.