Finals Week 3

Bennett earned the right to 'lash out' and it was pretty tame from the clip I saw.

As far as 2018 I wouldn't call it complacency. Considering the setbacks they had, it was a miracle they were able to churn out so many close wins. The issue was they didn't have another gear in them which was exposed come finals time as the Dragons were all over them and weren't afraid to bend the rules to do so.

I still think Bennett should have stayed on because outside of Bellamy I couldn't see anyone else doing better at the club. The club was in a very delicate situation and once the Broncos had made long term commitments to Darbs, Macca, Bird, Milford, Gillett etc. the only coach who was going to make sense of it was Wayne.

It wasn't like there wasn't anything to like at the Broncos either. With Haas, Fifita, Staggs etc. coming through there was something brewing. If they could have made the right decisions around senior players and brought in some good up and coming players I don't think there's any reason why the Broncos wouldn't have been among the best teams in the competition.

The rot started when Bennett was here. I said it at the time as well, you only need to look at our defensive numbers on a year-to-year basis, it all unravelled in 2018. You can blame the Broncos handling of the Bennett situation for the drop off, but I don't buy it. The numbers were already trending way down before that media circus even started. Bennett & White both hamstrung us with a bunch of shit contracts, at that stage, it wouldn't have mattered which coach came in, it was always going to take a couple of years minimum to undo the damage done. Unfortunately for us, we chose a rookie coach who crumbled under the pressure, lost some of our best young talent, and messed up our cap even further. We then backed that up by signing yet another rookie coach. We're starting to see some signs of life now, but it's taken 3 full seasons to repair the state of affairs that Bennett, White and to a lesser extent Seibold left us in. Long way to go as well.

Bennett era -

2015 - 3rd best defence in the comp
2016 - 4th best defence in the comp
2017 - 4th best defence in the comp
2018 - 10th best defence in the comp

Seibold era -

2019 - 11th best defence in the comp
2020 - 16th best defence in the comp

Walters era -

2021 - 13th best defence in the comp

Bennett earned the right to 'lash out' and it was pretty tame from the clip I saw.

As far as 2018 I wouldn't call it complacency. Considering the setbacks they had, it was a miracle they were able to churn out so many close wins. The issue was they didn't have another gear in them which was exposed come finals time as the Dragons were all over them and weren't afraid to bend the rules to do so.

I still think Bennett should have stayed on because outside of Bellamy I couldn't see anyone else doing better at the club. The club was in a very delicate situation and once the Broncos had made long term commitments to Darbs, Macca, Bird, Milford, Gillett etc. the only coach who was going to make sense of it was Wayne.

It wasn't like there wasn't anything to like at the Broncos either. With Haas, Fifita, Staggs etc. coming through there was something brewing. If they could have made the right decisions around senior players and brought in some good up and coming players I don't think there's any reason why the Broncos wouldn't have been among the best teams in the competition.
I just mean complacency as in we turned up to the dragons game expecting to win on the back of some excellent form and we got our pants pulled down.

it wasn’t an isolated occasion throughout the season either. We beat the best teams (other than the storm) but would lose games we shouldn’t have because we were arrogant.

a reporter asked Wayne during the season why we could beat the top teams and then lose to the bulldogs or whoever it was and he answered honestly in that he didn’t know.

I still cant seriously believe people think we wouldnt have been better off with Wayne at that time. He was bringing through some great talent and for the sake of another 12 months we would have avoided the shitshow we ended up with. Bennett is in no way to blame for our demise, thats on the people running the club. If they managed our cap better, we wouldnt have handed out all these big contracts.

Not sure what this talk is about not doing a rebuild. Wayne had Fifita, Haas, Coates, Staggs, TPJ, Lodge, Sua, etc on the way through. And he signed Bird to play lock before other teams had caught onto that trend (which didn’t work out due to injury). The club was moving in the right direction roster wise.

There were some guys like Macca, Boyd, Moose, that were overstaying their welcomes but in retrospect forcing out all those experienced guys was a disaster too.
We had no halfback because he bought a centre on massive money to replace Hunt! Bird was a colossal failure that butchered our roster for years.

I still cant seriously believe people think we wouldnt have been better off with Wayne at that time. He was bringing through some great talent and for the sake of another 12 months we would have avoided the shitshow we ended up with. Bennett is in no way to blame for our demise, thats on the people running the club. If they managed our cap better, we wouldnt have handed out all these big contracts.

All we would have been doing keeping Bennett is delaying the inevitable.

Bennett is definitely part of the blame for our demise. He's the reason why players got big money contracts when they didn't deserve it. I would buy Bennett wasn't at all responsible if the same shit didn't happen at the other clubs he coached at, as well. Souths are even now going to be in the same position and have already lost Reynolds.

Not only that, but Bennett's relationship with the board was a serious issue. Both of them were fucking each other and you just can't have that and except to be successful because eventually it's going to start causing problems in the playing group, as well. Everyone needs to be on board.

The club needed a rebuild. Bennett wasn't doing that.

Broncos went down the wrong track post-Bennett but now they are trying to rectify that with Walters, Donaghy and Ikin.

We beat the premiers twice that year. Using one game to try an illustrate a point is pretty narrow minded.
It wasn’t just a game, it was a semi-final at home and we were made to look like rank amateurs. I fail to see how this was narrow minded as when it came to the business end of the season we were demonstrably anything but rocketing to the top.

We had no halfback because he bought a centre on massive money to replace Hunt! Bird was a colossal failure that butchered our roster for years.
One player does not 'butcher a roster'. One player on 800k. Stupid comment.

All we would have been doing keeping Bennett is delaying the inevitable.

Bennett is definitely part of the blame for our demise. He's the reason why players got big money contracts when they didn't deserve it. I would buy Bennett wasn't at all responsible if the same shit didn't happen at the other clubs he coached at, as well. Souths are even now going to be in the same position and have already lost Reynolds.

Not only that, but Bennett's relationship with the board was a serious issue. Both of them were fucking each other and you just can't have that and except to be successful because eventually it's going to start causing problems in the playing group, as well. Everyone needs to be on board.

The club needed a rebuild. Bennett wasn't doing that.

Broncos went down the wrong track post-Bennett but now they are trying to rectify that with Walters, Donaghy and Ikin.

So we had a salary cap manager, a CEO and board to decide what we can and cant afford, but its Bennets fault we handed out big contracts even though he doesnt even talk financials with the players ( and i know for a fact he has nothing to do with the financial side of things, i know plenty of players and not one of them has ever talked about the money side of contracts with Bennett ) I'm sure people like you are stuck in a 90's time warp where you think Wayne had total control. Its as laughable as trying to blame him for the mess at other clubs. Financial mismanagement is on the club owners, not a coach.

Only an idiot would think getting rid of Bennett in the way we did was a smart move. It put the players offside as it was so disrespectful to a club legend for the sake of 12 months. As for Bennett not doing a rebuild, thats just your anti Bennett agenda coming out there. There was plenty of young talent, some of which like Haas came because of Wayne, that we could have built on easily. Wayne wasn't doing the rebuild either, he was transitioning to a coach who would have.

I've said it many times, and the evidence is out there to back it up, but signing Bird didnt stop us signing a halfback. Go back and look. We signed Bird in April iirc, we got turned down by Taylor towards the end of October. We were obviously chasing a 7, we just wouldnt pay a million dollars for one. Yep, Bird was a failure, but we could have signed Cameron Smith and he could have got decimated by injury as well. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

So we had a salary cap manager, a CEO and board to decide what we can and cant afford, but its Bennets fault we handed out big contracts even though he doesnt even talk financials with the players ( and i know for a fact he has nothing to do with the financial side of things, i know plenty of players and not one of them has ever talked about the money side of contracts with Bennett ) Thats laughable. I'm sure people like you are stuck in a 90's time warp where you think Wayne had total control. Its as laughable as trying to blame him for the mess at other clubs. Financial mismanagement is on the club owners, not a coach.

Only an idiot would think getting rid of Bennett in the way we did was a smart move. It put the players offside as it was so disrespectful to a club legend for the sake of 12 months. As for Bennett not doing a rebuild, thats just your anti Bennett agenda coming out there. There was plenty of young talent, some of which like Haas came because of Wayne, that we could have built on easily. Wayne wasn't doing the rebuild either, he was transitioning to a coach who would have.
So on the money. I was one of the posters who could not understand why it was 'untenable' that WBs contract be honoured. Poster after poster kept telling me that if I didn't understand why, it was a failure on my part.

Those fucking stupid numpties on here who wrote those things were conclusively proven wrong yet if challenged now they still try to justify their poor calls.

WBs contract should have been honoured. Monumental **** up.

Yeah
So on the money. I was one of the posters who could not understand why it was 'untenable' that WBs contract be honoured. Poster after poster kept telling me that if I didn't understand why, it was a failure on my part.

Those fucking stupid numpties on here who wrote those things were conclusively proven wrong yet if challenged now they still try to justify their poor calls.

The real monumental **** up was having White as a ceo.

If they wanted to go in a different direction thats totally fine, had no issues at all with that. They way it was done to the best coach in our history was crazy.

I've said it many times, and the evidence is out there to back it up, but signing Bird didnt stop us signing a halfback. Go back and look. We signed Bird in April iirc, we got turned down by Taylor towards the end of October. We were obviously chasing a 7, we just wouldnt pay a million dollars for one. Yep, Bird was a failure, but we could have signed Cameron Smith and he could have got decimated by injury as well. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
He was on 900k a year! He was originally bought to play 6, it was a failure. It wasn’t luck, he wasn’t the player we needed & they shouldn’t have signed him. A lot of people were saying it at the time, it didn’t make sense.

He was on 900k a year! He was originally bought to play 6, it was a failure. It wasn’t luck, he wasn’t the player we needed & they shouldn’t have signed him. A lot of people were saying it at the time, it didn’t make sense.
How do you know with any certainty that he wasn't the player we needed? I mean, you have nothing to judge that against as he didn't get time to become a 'needed commodity'. Injury free he may have become a 'must have'. You cannot know so your claim is just an unfounded assertion. He might have become a world class centre, lock, 5/8 or even fullback, who knows?

One player does not 'butcher a roster'. One player on 800k. Stupid comment.
900k a year for 4 years, that’s 10% of the cap on a centre to replace a half. Bennett is not infallible, he made mistakes, that was one of them.

How do you know with any certainty that he wasn't the player we needed? I mean, you have nothing to judge that against as he didn't get time to become a 'needed commodity'. Injury free he may have become a 'must have'. You cannot know so your claim is just an unfounded assertion. He might have become a world class centre, lock, 5/8 or even fullback, who knows?
Because in my mind when you lose a half you replace them with a half, you don’t gamble 10% of your cap.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Redux
  • Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.