POST GAME Finals Week One - Eels vs Broncos

Arthurs must have watched the Raiders games during the week because that was classic Sheens coaching. They played with such width which spread the Broncos out and then came back at the gaps on the inside shoulder- very good coaching.

Daley and Stuart would do that to teams every week, throw 20 meters passes and then let backs one on one and they'd score.

Even in defence, compress up, make them go around you but because you're faster the gap and space really isn't there it's an illusion. Just slide off and stifle them. Raiders did that with smaller mobile forwards.

Very good coaching.
A training run for their next opposition no doubt.

Arthurs must have watched the Raiders games during the week because that was classic Sheens coaching. They played with such width which spread the Broncos out and then came back at the gaps on the inside shoulder- very good coaching.

Daley and Stuart would do that to teams every week, throw 20 meters passes and then let backs one on one and they'd score.

Even in defence, compress up, make them go around you but because you're faster the gap and space really isn't there it's an illusion. Just slide off and stifle them. Raiders did that with smaller mobile forwards.

Very good coaching.

But we have the best forward pack and 4 hitups every set to smash our way through any defence. Once we’ve run over the top of them for 4 tackles, Milford will put up a spiralling torpedo bomb so the opposition has no chance of catching it. Once we get the ball back we’ll just barge our way over the try line. We can’t be stopped

#darkhorse

Don't quote me if i'm wrong,
But i'm under the impression hes got some kind of condition causing him to be injured a fair bit. Unfortunately not his fault at all and it was Bennett that bought him in with a shoulder injury as well.
But can we afford to have a top player always injured sitting on good coin on the bench?
Time will tell but if hes always constantly injured??? What do you do?
Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Don't think it causes ACL's and Shoulder Reconstructions.

Don't quote me if i'm wrong,
But i'm under the impression hes got some kind of condition causing him to be injured a fair bit. Unfortunately not his fault at all and it was Bennett that bought him in with a shoulder injury as well.
But can we afford to have a top player always injured sitting on good coin on the bench?
Time will tell but if hes always constantly injured??? What do you do?
Rheumatoid arthritis? Isn’t that about inflammation and pain? Not sure if that condition causes him to be more injury prone.
I think it’s just more the way he plays. Not the biggest bloke but not afraid to put his body on the line at all. I’d take several jack birds. Its what this team is lacking. Heart. Effort. Determination.
The eels had tonnes of it last night.
The bulk of the leadership group- Darius, McCullough Gillette, milf and Oates are all nice blokes, but the ‘laid back/ only a game’ attitude from especially from the captain won’t cut it. When bird loses he is absolutely gutted. More of those types of players please.
Last nights loss should certainly be the catalyst for change.

To make matters even worse, I forgot to put this bet on, ****.

That was our chance to show we weren't pushovers, could've been facing Manly without Turbo, Sironen, Taupau or Thompson, instead we'll be playing a nearly full strength Parra at Bankwest.

I'll be placing a reasonably large bet on Parra (-20.0) once the betting opens on Sportsbet.

To make matters even worse, I forgot to put this bet on, ****.
Mate I saw how your betting adventure at the start of the year ended, we would've lost in a tight one had you done that.

Last edited:
A disgraceful and shameful performance, but too may people are letting the emotion of it all cloud their judgement
Hopefully a few days rest will clear our heads
To those who managed to find fault with the presser, we must have watched a different one, as I thought Siebs did very well
There was none of the predicted 'we tried hard' he took responsibility and he said the players have to too, even going as far as to say some players didn't make the choice to compete, questioning their attitude
He said it was embarrassing, and that the team are a million miles away
Damn good stuff I say
And as for not apologising to the fans?
I don't want one, I want change, and I think it's going to happen

One of the worst performances I've seen, not only in Broncos history but in NRL history.

In attack they were attrocious. When they finally got their hands on some possession, they were too scared to cart the ball up and kept looking for passes to receivers who didn't want a bar of it. I lost count of the amount of times somebody would give the ball off to somebody standing behind the play, standing flat footed who didn't present himself as a viable option.

For a side that plays such basic football, it was astounding how they couldn't even get the basics right. I could possibly look the other way if it was exhaustion and mentally they were shot, but in the opening exchanges, Milford couldn't even get to his kick. That's unforgiveable at this level and really a player of his calibre should be highly embarrassed.

The defence was just as bad if not worse. They constantly lost the ruck despite getting numbers in the tackle. It was rare that they were able to make a good tackle and on every critical play they managed to make the worst possible choice. They made life extremely easy for the Eels and with every play that went against them, they'd just give up the ghost.

As a team there were no positives to take out of that performances. They approached the game with a plan to grind their way to victory and couldn't even do that. They got what they deserved and they have to live with that for the rest of the off-season.

The only positive I can find is Payne Haas who once again got through 80 minutes and made the most runs, made the most tackles and was the only player to threaten the Eels. He's had one of the best seasons of any front row forward in this club's history and he's easily been the best player of 2019.

A horrible end to a horrible season.
Re: Haas, don’t forget to add: making cover tackles that he had no right to be anywhere near, let alone effect.

Can only hope the clubs long term plans include cloning him and Fifita.

And if the club bows to the fans they can expect a similar set of results next year.

The players will have been given a reprieve if the coach is sacked and a chance to start fresh under a new coach.

Sacking a coach 12 months into a 5yr deal is titans level crazy.

The recruitment and retention committee should be on notice for agreeing to some of the contracts we are currently wearing

This is a little headwobblish but I am so relieved that some of you guys have finally caught up to the rest of us re: things like McC being useless and recruitment and retention being trash. I have to admit I was wondering if I was being delusional for awhile but NNNNNOPE it's just as bad as I feared lol if not worse. This club has been sleepwalking its way through roster management for the better part of a decade.

A disgraceful and shameful performance, but too may people are letting the emotion of it all cloud their judgement
Hopefully a few days rest will clear our heads
To those who managed to find fault with the presser, we must have watched a different one, as I thought Siebs did very well
There was none of the predicted 'we tried hard' he took responsibility and he said the players have to too, even going as far as to say some players didn't make the choice to compete, questioning their attitude
He said it was embarrassing, and that the team are a million miles away
Damn good stuff I say
And as for not apologising to the fans?
I don't want one, I want change, and I think it's going to happen
“They let each other down, they let the club down,” Seibold fired. “It was men against boys out there today. I lost count how many points they scored on fifth tackle. “There’s a lot of good young men in our club. But we want winners. It’s my responsibility to fix that. It’s going to be a long off-season and a long pre-season.

I do have an issue with some of his language TBH. He says they a few times distancing himself from the performance but says its on him to fix it and WE want winners.

Imagine if we had of won last week

Storm to break last week's record??

This says less about Melbourne and more about Parramatta and, by extension, us. Surprise surprise, the top 4 are the last survivors.

This says less about Melbourne and more about Parramatta and, by extension, us. Surprise surprise, the top 4 are the last survivors.
But is Brad Arthurs job under threat??

Should Gutherson be sacked??

Does Moses need more help in the spine??

I just watched the highlights from this game and now, after the emotion is gone I can see things a little more clearly.

It wasn't as if the Broncos didn't try, they certainly did. I think our team were feeling the hangover of a troubled season. Quite a few players didn't have happy games especially Alex Glen but he certainly wasn't alone. It seemed to be one of those games we see from time to time where anything tried succeeded. Bombs, huge passes, bounce of the ball, passes thrown without regard landing perfectly, refs blind to offsides and Parra playing as if the gods had let them know beforehand that everything would work. It was the perfect storm.

I don't want this to be about Boyd but he didn't do much wrong and certainly wasn't the worst. I'm resigned to the fact, it was just one of those days. I wouldn't feel that way if Parramatta had rampaged on to the gf but the fact they didn't tells me it wasn't their superiority on that day, it was a horrible combination that I doubt we'll experience for another few decades at least. I wanted to endure the pain one last time😣

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • simplythebest
  • Financeguy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Spoon
  • Scdeac
  • Sproj
  • jd87
  • bb_gun
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • Bronxnationgirl99
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Wild Horse
  • Xzei
... and 34 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.