Cricket First Test Australia v Pakistan in Brisbane

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
They put up a transposed right handed graphic of Hussey over Labamba during the telecast the other day, that’s why a lot of people are going with the Hussey similarity. Fair enough too. When seeing it, it was clear the similarity.

kooly87

NRL Player
They put up a transposed right handed graphic of Hussey over Labamba during the telecast the other day, that’s why a lot of people are going with the Hussey similarity. Fair enough too. When seeing it, it was clear the similarity.
Did you happen to catch Hussey in one of those segments playing shots right handed? He looked freakishly natural given it's not his usual side. The commentators at the time commented on it too. Mr Cricket may be the most perfectly suited nickname of all time.

State of Origin Rep
Did you happen to catch Hussey in one of those segments playing shots right handed? He looked freakishly natural given it's not his usual side. The commentators at the time commented on it too. Mr Cricket may be the most perfectly suited nickname of all time.
Hussey was right handed, left is his in-natural side. So he'd have more range on that side than other people swapping sides.

He batted left to be like Border.

kooly87

NRL Player
Hussey was right handed, left is his in-natural side. So he'd have more range on that side than other people swapping sides.

He batted left to be like Border.
Yeah I'm pretty sure a lot of players who batted left handed were in fact right handed naturally. I've played with guys who were like that too. Was just so weird seeing Huss playing right handed and looking as technically perfect as he did left handed.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Then you have the weird ones like Clarke who bats right and bowls left
This is me too. I'm a right-hand bat and left-arm rubbish...I mean left-arm Chinaman (ironic isn't it) / swing bowler.

My school cricket coach asked me once if I could bat left-handed and I was somehow even worse.

State of Origin Rep
I think the Day/Night Test presents easily their best chance of winning a Test over here that I can recall. Will still need some luck with conditions and even getting the toss right so they can choose when they'll get to bowl but if all that comes together they can have a reasonable shot.
Team right too, Abbas has to play.

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
Were you drinking with SOK when you wrote this?

Ask him why he gets banned every year and sent home from every tour? Might have had something to do with his lack of Tests.
I don’t blame him for turning to booze when he’s watched Lyon and that other random off spinner before him (the dude who sold his baggy green) get called up when he’s dominating the shield. The only bigger injustice was David Hussey not playing a single test despite averaging 55 for most for his first class career.

Last edited:

The True King

QCup Player
There's a good reason he's our 'greatest ever off-spin' bowler and its simply because our conditions and pitches aren't suited to it and our history suggests we don't tend to produce off-spinners. Our greatest ever spinners have all been leggies (Warne, MacGill, Benaud, Grimmett and not one of them averaged 30+ with the ball in either Australia or test cricket in general).

For a long time I thought Lyon was quality and I haven't really had an issue with him until I dived deeper into his statistics. Sure, he may be a great bloke and add to the bowling unit as a valuable character around the dressing sheds but for me there will be serious question marks as to his legitimacy as one of Australia's great spin bowlers. His record just doesn't stack up no matter which way you spin it (pun intended).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ondi

Twitter