First Test Australia v Pakistan in Brisbane

He has a lot of wickets though! It's not because he's been picked constantly for several years despite SOK deserving an extended chance with his vastly superior record. For example, SOK's average with the ball when Lyon was initially picked was like 23 vs Lyon's 38. Oh well, at least Lyon is a meme with a meme nick name so that will assure selection.

Were you drinking with SOK when you wrote this?

Ask him why he gets banned every year and sent home from every tour? Might have had something to do with his lack of Tests.

Apart from the first session Australia were pretty convincing. Pakistan showed fight and great to see Babar make runs- hopefully it's a marker for what he can do in Tests.

Day/Night might bring their seamers into the contest more, but they were cooked yesterday. How they pull up from that will be telling.

Labuschagne is such a win for gut feeling, never averaged above 40 in a season for Qld I love those selections.

He's changed his feet this year and accessing more of the ground and it's must meaning runs. He is batting like a right handed Hussey. They're very similar in how they get the ball.

Apart from the first session Australia were pretty convincing. Pakistan showed fight and great to see Babar make runs- hopefully it's a marker for what he can do in Tests.

Day/Night might bring their seamers into the contest more, but they were cooked yesterday. How they pull up from that will be telling.

Labuschagne is such a win for gut feeling, never averaged above 40 in a season for Qld I love those selections.

He's changed his feet this year and accessing more of the ground and it's must meaning runs. He is batting like a right handed Hussey. They're very similar in how they get the ball.
I think the Day/Night Test presents easily their best chance of winning a Test over here that I can recall. Will still need some luck with conditions and even getting the toss right so they can choose when they'll get to bowl but if all that comes together they can have a reasonable shot.

Last edited:

Some of his shots were very Hussey like... can remember a push through extra cover off the spinner, where he came down the wicket that looked like a Hussey replay

Then he's got the same sun screen.... Huss is up there as one of my favourites so how fucking good would it be to have another one come through, but this time he's a qlder

Here's hoping he can keep his batting form... and stay around the team because he offers a lot with his fielding and general energy in the field. Would be nice if his bowling improves a bit as well.

I think he may be a little hard done by having to come in at 3... only because he is learning his way and it's such a vital spot in the lineup. If he loses his batting form for a couple series the knives will be out for him, which would be a shame.

At the moment though, he's coping with it well for such an inexperienced player

Last edited:
They put up a transposed right handed graphic of Hussey over Labamba during the telecast the other day, that’s why a lot of people are going with the Hussey similarity. Fair enough too. When seeing it, it was clear the similarity.

They put up a transposed right handed graphic of Hussey over Labamba during the telecast the other day, that’s why a lot of people are going with the Hussey similarity. Fair enough too. When seeing it, it was clear the similarity.
Did you happen to catch Hussey in one of those segments playing shots right handed? He looked freakishly natural given it's not his usual side. The commentators at the time commented on it too. Mr Cricket may be the most perfectly suited nickname of all time.

Did you happen to catch Hussey in one of those segments playing shots right handed? He looked freakishly natural given it's not his usual side. The commentators at the time commented on it too. Mr Cricket may be the most perfectly suited nickname of all time.

Hussey was right handed, left is his in-natural side. So he'd have more range on that side than other people swapping sides.

He batted left to be like Border.

Hussey was right handed, left is his in-natural side. So he'd have more range on that side than other people swapping sides.

He batted left to be like Border.
Yeah I'm pretty sure a lot of players who batted left handed were in fact right handed naturally. I've played with guys who were like that too. Was just so weird seeing Huss playing right handed and looking as technically perfect as he did left handed.

Then you have the weird ones like Clarke who bats right and bowls left

Then you have the weird ones like Clarke who bats right and bowls left

This is me too. I'm a right-hand bat and left-arm rubbish...I mean left-arm Chinaman (ironic isn't it) / swing bowler.

My school cricket coach asked me once if I could bat left-handed and I was somehow even worse.

I think the Day/Night Test presents easily their best chance of winning a Test over here that I can recall. Will still need some luck with conditions and even getting the toss right so they can choose when they'll get to bowl but if all that comes together they can have a reasonable shot.

Team right too, Abbas has to play.

Were you drinking with SOK when you wrote this?

Ask him why he gets banned every year and sent home from every tour? Might have had something to do with his lack of Tests.

I don’t blame him for turning to booze when he’s watched Lyon and that other random off spinner before him (the dude who sold his baggy green) get called up when he’s dominating the shield. The only bigger injustice was David Hussey not playing a single test despite averaging 55 for most for his first class career.

Last edited:
There's a good reason he's our 'greatest ever off-spin' bowler and its simply because our conditions and pitches aren't suited to it and our history suggests we don't tend to produce off-spinners. Our greatest ever spinners have all been leggies (Warne, MacGill, Benaud, Grimmett and not one of them averaged 30+ with the ball in either Australia or test cricket in general).

For a long time I thought Lyon was quality and I haven't really had an issue with him until I dived deeper into his statistics. Sure, he may be a great bloke and add to the bowling unit as a valuable character around the dressing sheds but for me there will be serious question marks as to his legitimacy as one of Australia's great spin bowlers. His record just doesn't stack up no matter which way you spin it (pun intended).

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.