folau coming back to NRL

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Matt Orford got the dally m that year

I meant the positional award at centre.

I actually think we're alright for wingers. Hook uses them effectively, Hodges is generally pretty good at setting his up while the jury is out on Reed in that department.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I agree, the last thing we need to be doing is paying ridiculous money for a bloody winger. I can see the validity in the 'kick to folau' argument but TBH we need to be working on our attacking structure and halves problems rather than glossing them over with expensive, self absorbed wingers. Kicking to wingers gets you out of tight spots but it won't win you a grand final, or have you come even close IMHO

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Kicking to wingers gets you out of tight spots but it won't win you a grand final, or have you come even close IMHO

again i disagree. having a "go to" play that results in a try more often than not is exactly what wins you premierships (provided you have a decent team to go with that play, which the broncos do). it wins you origin matches, where any points are worth their weight in gold.

in folaus case, kicking to him brings a myriad of outcomes:

1. you score.
2. drop out.
3. penalty for them taking out folau.
4. creates more opportunities on 5th tackle because the opposition knows how dangerous and effective it is kicking to folau, leaving them focused on stopping folau.

for the money that players like Thaiday/Wallace/Hodges are on, $600k for folau is a bargain.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Folau can still take kick from the centres though.

Any talk of him coming back to Brisbane is purely just wishful thinking at this stage anyways. There's no way Parra would spend all that money and have him play outside Loko, Blair or Esi Tonga.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
again i disagree. having a "go to" play that results in a try more often than not is exactly what wins you premierships (provided you have a decent team to go with that play, which the broncos do). it wins you origin matches, where any points are worth their weight in gold.

1. you score.
2. drop out.
4. creates more opportunities on 5th tackle because the opposition knows how dangerous and effective it is kicking to folau, leaving them focused on stopping folau.

for the money that players like Thaiday/Wallace/Hodges are on, $600k for folau is a bargain.

What a surprise.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I actually think we're alright for wingers. Hook uses them effectively, Hodges is generally pretty good at setting his up while the jury is out on Reed in that department.

I thought it was more the other way around. Hodges used to be amazing at setting up his winger, but these days even Tate arguably does it more than him.

On the other hand Reed seems to pass a lot more often.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Doesn't really matter because we've got diddley's chance of signing him but obviously Reed's spot.

Alec - Copley saw bugger all ball outside of Reed who continually just kept trying to go himself even when we had space. Seriously, the left hand side attack annoyed me all the time given how much they would ball hog.

Now granted, Hodgo basically makes 70% of his runs from dummy half but for the other 30% he generally looks for his winger.

EDIT: Lies and slander Old Mate! He's just looking into the webcam.

Last edited:
Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Keep up the good work Bman! Got the voice of a news presenter and given you're largely making these videos on the spot you're making some very astute points.

He's reading of his computer screen bro.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008

1. you score.
2. drop out.

Here here, Folau would be worth every penny.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The salary cap will keep going up too. 600K in near future will be like 400K a couple of years back.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
ha! That looks JUST like a Greens voter! :P
I was aiming for the USA's religious belt rednecks, but that's a fair comparison too... :laugh:

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Scdeac
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Dash
  • Alec
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Browny
  • Manlyman
  • Waynesaurus
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • Ironbroncos
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.