Football department salary cap

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Another communist method to ‘even’ the competition rather than promote the excellence required to actually sell the product.

Set low at 5.7 million lot of guys are going to lose their jobs or take big cuts...

Worse form of restraint of trade than players because at least players have access to TPAs.

At least given time to adjust and luxury tax rather than hard cap.

So clubs now have to choose between Welfare or trainers.
Medical or new training equipment.
Coaches or scouts (will someone think of the children?).

Another fine example of Australian brilliance - Limiting those who contribute the most... If clubs like Titans can’t afford to compete there are other potential clubs who will and likely bring more fans and more money for the NRL all up.

Certainly do, been saying it for years. Biggest shame to ever hit league was that super league didn't stay.
It didn't stay because it was losing millions of dollars. I thought SL would be successful but it wasn't and the game would have been ruined if not for reunification in '98.

It didn't stay because it was losing millions of dollars. I thought SL would be successful but it wasn't and the game would have been ruined if not for reunification in '98.
The game wouldn't have gone anywhere without it though. It would have stayed as the NSWRL and never grown and just died like most of their clubs did

The game wouldn't have gone anywhere without it though. It would have stayed as the NSWRL and never grown and just died like most of their clubs did
I agree with that totally but SL wouldn't have survived on their own as News Limited wanted out. At least it became the first season that you could watch every game live on either Foxtel or Optus Vision. RL finally got the exposure it deserved.

Clubs have to be saved from themselves. The Raiders spend the most and come outside the 8. What are they spending 8.3 million on? While the Storm spend 7 and win?

Sharks spent 4.5 and win a comp.

If the club spending the most was winning every year then it would make sense but it isn't the case.

The AFL is 9 million and you can go over but you get taxed 37% up to one million.

It won't cost teams facilities they aren't included. No club is going to not get scans or have a doctor- Broncos have those scans done at their new base.

It will make coaches think twice about hiring old mate ex player two days a week to be kicking coach. So much fat that could be trimmed off these clubs.

For business that don't make money they aren't scared to have people doing not too much. Have a look at Origin camp; more staff than players.

Clubs have to be saved from themselves. The Raiders spend the most and come outside the 8. What are they spending 8.3 million on? While the Storm spend 7 and win?

Sharks spent 4.5 and win a comp.

If the club spending the most was winning every year then it would make sense but it isn't the case.

The AFL is 9 million and you can go over but you get taxed 37% up to one million.

It won't cost teams facilities they aren't included. No club is going to not get scans or have a doctor- Broncos have those scans done at their new base.

It will make coaches think twice about hiring old mate ex player two days a week to be kicking coach. So much fat that could be trimmed off these clubs.

For business that don't make money they aren't scared to have people doing not too much. Have a look at Origin camp; more staff than players.

Why do you have to save clubs from themselves? These are professional organisations with people in office to manage the finances. Agree there is likely fat but that is the clubs problem. Agree there needs to be encouragement for clubs to let members and shareholders have best practice systems to ensure good organisational government but if they are happy to pay overs for old players or coaches that is their money to spend.

Everyone in Australia has to be protected from themselves... how about you let them run their business as they see fit. It’s not for the NRL to say what is and what is not an efficient spend except for where NRL is paying the bills.

Do you suggest we get the government to go down to every business in Australia and put caps on spending...

Why do you have to save clubs from themselves? These are professional organisations with people in office to manage the finances. Agree there is likely fat but that is the clubs problem. Agree there needs to be encouragement for clubs to let members and shareholders have best practice systems to ensure good organisational government but if they are happy to pay overs for old players or coaches that is their money to spend.

Everyone in Australia has to be protected from themselves... how about you let them run their business as they see fit. It’s not for the NRL to say what is and what is not an efficient spend except for where NRL is paying the bills.

Do you suggest we get the government to go down to every business in Australia and put caps on spending...

NRL needs clubs to have a competition. It's fine to say see how this pans out, but if you're left with two teams what then?

It's not their money- they all need and get a massive grant from the NRL- fine to say let me spend it how I want- well make it then and don't need a hand out from dad every year.

If the Government was giving you a grant every year- I'd suggest then yes they'd want a say how it was spent.

For me it's two fold- one you don't need to spend it- teams are winning the competition without being in the top spenders so that proves they're wasting money.

As well as the increase it's going up every year, between 2015 and 2016 they spent another 6 million across the clubs. They can't sustain that every year.

NRL needs clubs to have a competition. It's fine to say see how this pans out, but if you're left with two teams what then?

It's not their money- they all need and get a massive grant from the NRL- fine to say let me spend it how I want- well make it then and don't need a hand out from dad every year.

If the Government was giving you a grant every year- I'd suggest then yes they'd want a say how it was spent.

For me it's two fold- one you don't need to spend it- teams are winning the competition without being in the top spenders so that proves they're wasting money.

As well as the increase it's going up every year, between 2015 and 2016 they spent another 6 million across the clubs. They can't sustain that every year.

Are you saying that if they make heaps of cash, like our club, they shouldn't be entitled to a percentage of the takings of the game?

As you say, without the teams generating the money, the game is nothing. Would you go to work for your boss to make him heaps of money without being paid a cent for the money you helped him make?

There should be no protection. It's bullshit. If the NSWRL would just **** off from running the NRL, we might actually get somewhere.

These clubs are in the position they are in because they just don't know how to run a business properly.

As far as I'm concerned, if they want to drive their club into the ground due to mismanagement of funds then let them. There are other clubs waiting to take their place.

And if they want to make money, they should take risks and move the business to places like Perth.

But like the government the NRL managment is just administrator of the peoples money with NRL that is the clubs players and workers, so they don't give them a handout, they give them their cut from the earnings the game earns, not the management but the game eg players and clubs, I can't imagine ch 9 paying much to watch Greenberg and co managering or that mater many fans wanting to watch. The biggest inequality though is the clubs that rate best are the only ones earning big dollars for the game but they get hammered the most trying to prop up weak clubs

Are you saying that if they make heaps of cash, like our club, they shouldn't be entitled to a percentage of the takings of the game?

As you say, without the teams generating the money, the game is nothing. Would you go to work for your boss to make him heaps of money without being paid a cent for the money you helped him make?

There should be no protection. It's bullshit. If the NSWRL would just **** off from running the NRL, we might actually get somewhere.

I think they get too much.

I think they get too much.

I'm all for them taking a massive percentage from the kitty to split among the teams, it's their game. I'd like to see it split more fairly. Broncos generate far more cash than a team like the Tigers, do they get the same amount back?

That’s the falsehood. Grants aren’t welfare they are payments from revenue for tv rights, sponsorship and so forth that the clubs actively contribute to. NRL doesn’t have to sustain increases in grants. Clubs should get a percentage of revenue. If net revenue (after reasonable costs) doesn’t improve then club payments reflect this.

As for your argument re spending as said before not for NRL to tell financially independent clubs how to spend your money. Does your boss get to tell you how to spend your wage? NRL can suggest and highlight facts but to put another cap is ridiculous. But is it that money doesn’t work or simply that other issues determine outcomes more (I.e the obsession with fairytale endings and how that may influence outcomes...).

Btw go ask titans about not having resources works for them?

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • bert_lifts
  • Manifesto
  • Waynesaurus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Dee
  • The True King
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.