Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Strong performance aside, Australia will be disappointed with their inability to execute key plays. It seems to be a running theme of Mal's tenure and it will need to be addressed by the World Cup. In this particular instance, I thought Cameron Smith & Darius Boyd let the team down. Smith's style of play didn't vy with the situation and a number of chances were lost as the Kangaroos were too busy trying to figure out what Smithy was doing instead of concentrating on their plays. It was a concern the Melbourne Storm side had before they found their rhythmn against North Queensland in the Double Header, and I think it's going to become more apparent next season.

I don't think Smith has anything to worry about as the competition simply isn't there.

However, I can't say the same about Darius Boyd. The fullback position in the Australian side is crucial and Boyd hasn't made the most of it. Apart of the problem is that he lacks a threatening running game, so opposition sides are comfortable with giving him room while they mark up on threats on the outside. His ability to set up his outside men isn't where it needs to be and he was very fortunate in this game not to concede a intercept try to Jordan Rapana. I can't see Mal Meninga dropping Darius this series, but I believe it's only a matter of time before we see James Tedesco, Matt Moylan or Tom Trbojevic fill that role.

New Zealand can hold their heads up high after this performance. By rights they should have been down by at least four tries in the first half, but they just kept finding ways to deny the Australians and came within a whisker of tying the game. Rapana has been close to the player of the tournament so far and I thought Taumalolo & Bromwich were incredibly strong in the middle. Moving forward, it maybe in Kidwell's best interests to drop Shaun Kenny-Dowall. SKD had an inconsistent season with the Roosters and it's translated into a disasterous Four Nations campaign. Perhaps one solution would be to drop SKD, blood Fusitu'a on the wing and have Beale play alongside Rapana on the right fringe.

Another change they need to make is their structure. So far they're playing a conservative brand of football and they're not making the most of Jordan Kahu's skills at the back. The Kiwis attack inside the 20m zone has looked pedestrian at times and the inability to give Kahu opportunities has played a role in that. Not only would it likely result in more points, but it would also relieve Shaun Johnson who struggles when he's under pressure.

Ferguson was a deserving Man of the Match, but I was disappointed with his effort on Kata from marker. It should be in the tip sheet that as soon as you see Kata at dummy half, that the first marker must do everything in their power to stop him. Ferguson was caught out and it brought New Zealand back into the contest.

On Morgan, I thought he passed his first test. Australia appeared more potent with the football down his fringe this game and it was a marked improvement over his previous performance against New Zealand. The jury is still out on his full-time aspirations but as it stands, I'd have him ahead of Maloney.

It's just the way Bennet is.
He told the interviewee one his English players is a man of little words.. like himself.
Wayne has copped a lot of criticism of late. Even Mal has sunk the boot in.
Oh well onwards and upwards, I'm sure he's copped brickbats before, and will again. Still think it was poor of Mal to have a go. Might do him to concentrate on his own team they weren't ALL that, against NZ IMO.

Interesting fact the news told me: If Darius Boyd is in the line-up to play England it will be the first time he has ever played against a Bennett coached team.

Last edited:
It's just the way Bennet is.
He told the interviewee one his English players is a man of little words.. like himself.
Wayne has copped a lot of criticism of late. Even Mal has sunk the boot in.
Oh well onwards and upwards, I'm sure he's copped brickbats before, and will again. Still think it was poor of Mal to have a go. Might do him to concentrate on his own team they weren't ALL that, against NZ IMO.

Mal has proven himself to be a bit of a sook over his career tbh.

The most disappointing part about Bennett's interview was how unremarkable it was. Judging by the response you would have thought he only gave one word responses and insulted the journalist. It was typical Wayne, honest & direct, with no effort to sugar-coat a forgettable performance. If anything the English supporters should be happy that Wayne was disappointed and expects better from the team. It shows he's serious about doing well and isn't prepared to accept second best.

The RFL knew exactly what they were getting when they appointed Wayne. If they're offended by his approach than that's on them.

Interesting fact the news told me: If Darius Boyd is in the line-up to play England it will be the first time he has ever played against a Bennett coached team.

As a head coach, it would be the first time.

But technically, Boyd has gone up against Bennett twice. The games against NZ when Bennett was assistant coach and Boyd was in the side.

As a head coach, it would be the first time.

But technically, Boyd has gone up against Bennett twice. The games against NZ when Bennett was assistant coach and Boyd was in the side.

Was Wayne still the assistant coach after the 2008 World Cup?

I thought it was just a part-time gig.

Was Wayne still the assistant coach after the 2008 World Cup?

I thought it was just a part-time gig.

I'm pretty sure he was kept around until after the 2010 Four Nations.

I could be wrong, though.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • davidp
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Fatboy
  • Manofoneway
  • Brotherdu
  • The Strapper
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.