Francis Molo

Yes, but it's reported as the best reffing in origin history, because it was a free flowing game!
Nsw line because they won.

No penalties doesn't make it good game.

The refs cruelled game one by not making calls...the hold back on a clean break by us in the first half and the forward passes being prime examples.

Bring back the 5 minute sin bin. A penalty is nothing within the twenty if you don't start sending people for repeated infringements. Burden of proof is too high for penalty try. Needs to be high likelihood not certain to score, question is how you define that but Storm example is classic. If leading the chase and looks like would catch it in goal then close enough. If intentional foul play then bin too.

Penalties, sin bins and send offs are all in the same basket of a referee taking a direct influence in the game. Calling forward passes and knock ons, foot/ball in touch etc. are also there to a lesser degree. As others have said we've punished our officials that much that they are getting gun shy. Every time, no matter how blatant or obvious a call is, someone is going blow up about as it is against their team. This is part and parcel of a referee's lot, until the likes of Gould etc get involved. They devote tv time or column inches to it and it becomes the major blight of the game. How many inches or TV spaces is given to forward passes: none. We want our cake and to eat it too.
Let the refs ref. Let the head of refs make his calls about refs without interference, and have no refs dropped from officiating until seasons end. Every ref earns his salary, be it in 1st grade or NSW cup/ qld cup.

If the refs blew penalties as related to the actions of the players, not the situation of the game, they'd have a leg to stand on to defend themselves (or to have the NRL do it).
If they're going to basically try to control the "flow" of the game, by selective enforcement, they don't have that leg to stand on.

I don't know exactly who's responsible, but it seems to be a definite tactic from the NRL to manufacture results, close finishes, etc etc. A cynical person might say that betting companies are involved.

Having a gambling company as a major partner is a joke.

The quality of the NRL has declined ever since the NRL got into bed with Tom Waterhouse years ago. I don't like gambling - I've got nothing against people who do - but I don't like Sportsbet being a sponsor of the NRL. I just don't see how the NRL can keep its integrity. Match fixing is a problem facing nearly every professional sport but I don't see too many of them signing up a betting company.

How can fans take the NRL's stance on match fixing seriously when they think having Sportsbet as a major sponsor is good for the game?

Mascord mentioned this problem in his latest column. He also drew attention to the English Football Association which has decided to end its sponsorship deals with all gambling firms.

A statement from them said:

"The decision was made following a three-month review of The FA's approach to it as a governing body taking betting sponsorship, whilst being responsible for the regulation of sports betting within the sport's rules."

I almost got whiplash when reading about it this arvo. A governing body actually putting the integrity of their sport first.

If only the NRL had that sort of leadership. Instead they're quite content to whore Rugby League out to the highest bidder. As long as the price is right.

Cricket has had its fingers burnt .
No gambling sponsorships in sight . Spot fixing was rife in cricket . Just cheat for 1 ball and get a nice little pay day . No guilty conscience . 1 ball shouldn`t win or lose the match .

Gambling on cricket is huge in India . [the 2nd most populous nation on earth ]

Lately Police reckon they are on to NRL players betting on them selves . Or even more sinister betting on the opposition .

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Emanon
  • Jedhead
  • Swordfish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mighty Bronx
  • azza.79
  • upthebroncs
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • johnny plath
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.