Full round at Suncorp?

broncospwn said:
schmix said:
I'm with Hammo, I can't see it working at all. Queensland teams would obviously pull a crowd, but no more than they would in a regular round. Brisbane supports rugby league more than any other city in Australia, but IMO there still aren't enough fanatical rugby league fans up there who would go to more than 1 or 2 games.

I can't see many people from Sydney heading up either. We get so many games down here every weekend, and 80% of them struggle to pull a decent crowd.

I like that they're coming up with new and different ideas, I just don't think this is the right one. If they decide to go ahead with it they'll have to do some seriously good marketing to sell it, and we all know how well the NRL go with marketing :roll:

I think the idea is to have one ticket for all 8 games, or someting in that sorta of range, can you imagine how much the QLD Government will benefit from this? Having huge crowds at the same place for 4 days? The idea is to get more sponsor and government money out of it then high ticket prices.

Sure, but to get that money out of the government, you need those huge crowds. And I'm not convinced they'd turn up.

schmix said:
broncospwn said:
schmix said:
I'm with Hammo, I can't see it working at all. Queensland teams would obviously pull a crowd, but no more than they would in a regular round. Brisbane supports rugby league more than any other city in Australia, but IMO there still aren't enough fanatical rugby league fans up there who would go to more than 1 or 2 games.

I can't see many people from Sydney heading up either. We get so many games down here every weekend, and 80% of them struggle to pull a decent crowd.

I like that they're coming up with new and different ideas, I just don't think this is the right one. If they decide to go ahead with it they'll have to do some seriously good marketing to sell it, and we all know how well the NRL go with marketing :roll:

I think the idea is to have one ticket for all 8 games, or someting in that sorta of range, can you imagine how much the QLD Government will benefit from this? Having huge crowds at the same place for 4 days? The idea is to get more sponsor and government money out of it then high ticket prices.

Sure, but to get that money out of the government, you need those huge crowds. And I'm not convinced they'd turn up.

8 GAMES, one price, can you imagine how many people would come down as a long weekend holiday? means the governmen would have about 50k or even 40k for that matter consistently over 4 days.

I'm more with Mick on this one. To me it would work infinitely better if the games were held as double headers (triple at most).

Only super-dooper hardcore fans are going to want to go to 8 games of footy over a weekend

I'm sure that some people on here would. Myself, I'd consider it - there's been plenty of times I've watched all 8 games on telly in a weekend.

But I think the idea of having a more carnival atmosphere ala when the Olympics were in Sydney and not forcing people to go to every game would work better.

yeah. i'd agree with that. Double headers would be good. Broncos V Cowboys then Storm V Titans. :D

schmix said:

+1

I don't think it'd work up here at all. Nice try...next!

Good way to get people through the gates would be to make it not just a RL weekend but a big entertainment weekend. When the V8's were pitching their ideas for a Homebush round they were talking about having A-League games in the night and rock concerts, etc.
Obviously soccer is a direct competitor of footy so A-league games are out of the question, but why not get bands and other entertainment in as well? If tickets are cheap, you could get people who wouldn't ordinarily come out to the footy coming to see a band play and sticking around for the game, liking the spectacle and becoming a part-time (or better) rugby league fan.
You'd want entertainment that works in a stadium, and right now all I can think of is music.

FRIDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Melbourne -v- Canberra.
Followed by an hour long Shannon Noll set (I know, it's not the most credible music but has the widest appeal and would get more people through the gates)
Game 2 - Broncos -v- Warriors

SATURDAY AFTERNOON/NIGHT:

Game 1 - Bulldogs -v- Panthers
Followed by a Gotye or similar set
Game 2 - Sharks -v- Dragons
The big name music act - Wolfmother, Jet, or Silverchair, or a band of similar stature.
Game 3 - Tigers -v- Cowboys

SUNDAY AFTERNOON:

Game 1 - Parra -v- Manly
Give a young, up and coming band a bit of exposure here. Triple J Unearthed winner or some such.
Game 2 - Souths -v- Roosters
Then The Divinyls. They are touring and desperate for exposure. Would get an older demographic than the previous music acts out to watch, and as long as the last game kicks off not too late in the night they'll stick around for that.
Game 3 - Titans -v- Knights

I think the concept of multiple games would work better at Homebush though. Imagine a Festival of Sport there. A V8 Supercar race in the day, an A-League or AFL game in the afternoon as a curtain raiser to a RL test match in the evening and a rock concert that night. And all again the next day!

dukey said:
I think the concept of multiple games would work better at Homebush though. Imagine a Festival of Sport there. A V8 Supercar race in the day, an A-League or AFL game in the afternoon as a curtain raiser to a RL test match in the evening and a rock concert that night. And all again the next day!

On top of that, if they put it at the same time as the Easter Show (over the long weekend) you would have a ready-made crowd. Thousands (?) of people come from all over the state (and maybe country?) for the show, who could well be league-starved. You could have passes that let you into both events - now that would be a serious carnival.

Loving the idea of holding it during the Easter Show time in Sydney schmix and in Brisbane during The Ekka maybe. Agree it'll have to be a carnival type of a day/night to pull in the crowds and for entertainment value if your team isn't on show.

Ending the night with a concert is a great idea!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, but who wants to go watch footy at Homebush? It's a hole!

A hole indeed, but that's where the Easter Show is held, so everyone would already be there. If you have to go to a hole, may as well make a day of it.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Mister Wright
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • BruiserMk1
  • Brotherdu
  • Brocko
  • broncos4life
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • FACTHUNT
  • Midean
  • Bucking Beads
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.