Game 1 - Post Match Discussion

good to get a win but i think loyalty is hampering us.. as much as i hate to admit.

Didn't the same thing happen a year or two back. Everyone was sayign the QLD forwards were too old and slow, and NSW were on top, and QLD came out the next game and absolutely smashed them.

They played poor this game, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Didn't the same thing happen a year or two back. Everyone was sayign the QLD forwards were too old and slow, and NSW were on top, and QLD came out the next game and absolutely smashed them.

They played poor this game, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.

not even the forwards only... im hppy with shillo and hannant but the boyd thing hurt. he gifted 8 points because hes out of form and out of confidence... lets hope he finds it in his club games cause he will be picked for game 2

Yeah, it wasn't our best performance. Slater made some bad fumbles, Cronk's kicking game sucked & the forwards looked a little off the pace but boy didn't they show some character despite all that possession?

Reminded a lot of Game 2 '07 tonight.

Boyd only coughed it up for one of the tries. Slater did the other and he also donated a goal line dropout.

Buhrer has no place in this team. Was hopeless from dummy half. Farah was probably NSW's best player tonight, and yet he goes off at the 60th minute. Odd. Probably the most dangerous NSW have looked out of dummy half in quite some time.

Jennings wasn't that bad at all. Looked dangerous with his touches of the ball. His speed an agility is amazing. I really like Jennings and Hayne on that left side, it's perfect.

Yeah seriously Buhrer is just a waste of a selection. There's at leats 10 players who would serve more purpose to the team. FWIW I think Farah should just play the full 80 or maybe bring in Hinchcliffe for game two to play 20 minutes to give him a rest. Been saying for a long time that Ennis is an overrated turd who only got origin selection on his supposed "menace tag". I thought Hayne was pretty good tonight too, did a lot to get involved and was quality. Jennings sin bin changed the whole game and what a stupid thing to do.

On QLD how good was Tate? I was honestly disappointed when he didn't get MOM, I think he was easily our best back, just an outstanding player. So courageous, so much energy, surprising speed GO TATEY!

Thurston is a magician, deadset the guy is a freak and his goal kicking is phenomenal. I thought Cam Smith's kicking game was great while Cronk had an average kicking game. Slater made some uncharacteristic errors but I would expect he will be much better in game two.

The game really could have gone either way, it's going to be a tough series.

Hey Rocky....whats worse than getting ****ed by Cameron Smith???? Getting ****ed by QLD 7 years in a row!!!!!!!!!

I don't know whats been posted, I'm too wired to look, but here's my take (before I watch a replay tomorrow);

QLD were woeful. NSW had some tough calls and we only really scored on the back of piggy backs up field after penalties. GI's try was probably not a try. I have to watch it many times, but if that was against QLD I'd be livid.

QLD forwards were not impressive at all.

Starting with Civo, he was well below par in his first run, but did some great work in his second stint. Perhaps he was just working too much in defense to get any impact on his runs. Scott was quiet, but is still our form prop. Hannant was the best off our bench tonight and made some great impact.

Shillo left a lot of room for improvement. Thaiday, Harrison and Myles were all good. Myles got through a tonne of tackles. Gillett seemed caught off the pace, but did manage to bend the line when he had more time with the ball. I think he can improve and perhaps the nerves of starting so late in the game caught him off guard. Was Dave Taylor sick? They mentioned he kept going up the tunnel before coming on and he seemed lost for most of the game. He didn't seem 100%. Lastly, Cam Smith is Cam Smith and had a massive game with the boot, any other hooker and IMHO we lose that game. His boot helped our pack out immensely.

Onto the backline; Slater...I don't know what happened with those high balls, maybe he couldn't see them against the roof but he will definitely not play that poorly again this series, which is great for us. Boyd played one of his best games this season, he seems to be that type of player that can only play at an elite level when surrounded by elite players. Tate needs no mention, he was easily my MoM.

GI was a monster yet again, however Hodges left a lot to be desired. If Hodges had any genuine competition for his spot, he should be a worried man. And don't even get me started on how he just watched a secondrower (Thaiday) chase a kick. JT mesmerized Uate and NSW outside backs and his form needs no discussion.

Cronk...I love the guy, but geez. He tries his heart out and loves structured play, but it still feels like our backline is trying to get use to his structured set plays.

All in all, I don't think we can play that bad again this series. Sure we have an enorumous challenge in Sydney, however there's no way we can play that poorly over the next two games. This was truly a Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free game.

-----------------------------

For NSW; Creagh isn't an Origin standard secondrower. It's that simple. Buhrer was an interesting experiment, I just don't understand it and after tonight I'm even more confused. G. Stewart & Creagh should count themselves lucky to be there considering Watmough was left out. Gallen, Bird, Lewis, T.Williams, Farrah, Tamou were all fantastic.

The halves weren't great but need to stay, they definitely weren't shocking. Morris had a blinder and was damaging whenever he ran. Jennings...I'm not sold, sure he has blinding speed but he is lost a lot in defense and seems to make silly errors (like running 30 metres for a fight). Uate was caught out a few times defensively, but JT does that to anyone. B.Stewart was decent as fullback, again there are other options but NSW need to keep him.

------------------------

IMO, for NSW to win this series (and not just the next game), they need to make ONE OR TWO CHANGES AT THE MOST. Even no changes would be better than dropping players and ALL the spine (9,7,6,1) has to stay. Sure there are other options, but now is not the time to explore them. Show confidence to receive confidence.

All in all, NSW needs a culture change. I know everybody has said this before but it's still evident. The major thing that needs to change IN 2013 is; Gallen needs to be relieved as captain. He offers excuses for loses and the culture starts at the top. Hayne also needs to be dropped for 2013 IMO. He reminds me of a young Hodges, it's always someone else's fault and he looks for the penalty, ergo the easy option. NSW need to take OWNERSHIP to turn into a winning culture.

Last edited:
People have to remember too that Matt Scott had only played 2 games in 2 months before tonight. I think he will be much better in the next 2 games.

Slater didn't make uncharacteristic errors... he is just not good under the high ball. He tries to get his body in between the footy and the other competitors, which is a tactic I can understand, however it does lead to errors.

Taking Farrah off lost them the game IMO. Buhrer tried hard, but he's just not up to the level as a number 9.

Jennings should have been sent off.

Queensland forward pack was immense. They got through a mountain of defensive work. My only criticisms of the Maroons was their use of Taylor. They certainly need to work on setting him up with a full head of steam on the edge.

Don't see how anyone could say NSW were the better team. Dropped balls.....passes over the sideline......kicks out on the full......penalty kicks NOT going out on the full........ill disciplined players........etc etc etc

How the f*ck does all that make them the better team?

They scored their only tries off high kicks where QLD had 1st grab at the ball......... they were LUCKY tries.

We lacked some structure and depth in our attack......it's the only fault that I can see with the performance

I think Cronk could have done better tonight in getting his forwards going forward. Someone needed to get in their ear at around the 15-20 min mark in the 1st half

Regarding the Inglis / Farrah try. The way I see it is Farrah kicked the ball out of GI's hands. He regained it and scored.....there was no knock on. Fair try

Obviously NSW are a tad upset with this and the Jennings sin binning. I think both rulings were the right ones.

Gallen has his cry for the game........something you can always count on is captain crybaby having a whinge to the ref in a game of SOO :haha:.

3. Tate
2. Myles
1. Bird

The Qld forwards were immense, especially after that nasty virus. Next match there will be much much more energy

Tough game, we got beat up in the first 20 but showed some great resilience to get to where we did at half time.

Cronk was average. Petero was terrible in the first half second half way better. Hannant off the bench should stay that way, his impact was awesome.

Brent Tate: unbelievable.

GI's try was 100% fair - Farah clearly played at it with his foot GI planted it.

Jennings is a **** head and I was hoping he would dislocate his hip. In that fight you could see the fear in Mitchell Pearce's eyes when he punched Thaiday. That was the only thing e did all night. Hayne is a **** he deserved that bullet in the Cross can't believe they missed him.

The way Gallen talks to the referees is a joke. He should get a contrary conduct charge he continually tries to put it over them.

**** I love being a Queenslander.

What was with smith in the early parts of the game. He always seemed late into dummy half or nowhere near it? We struggled to make any metres out of our half and the blues were strolling down the field in the 2nd half which was a worry as well. Glad we won by more than 6 to take a bit of the gloss of the (albeit correct) try to GI.

I must be missing something.

I don't think Pearce is up to Origin standard.

How good was Tate!!! We thought he would be a weakness but he was our best player IMO.

Weird match. NSW looked the better of the teams and more dangerous in the general run of play but only scored two arsey tries from kick fumbles. Same story as the past few years really, NSW tend to look threatening for a period and as if they're about to blow the game open but never quite get there. And as soon as there is a little bit of adversity, they go right back within their shells.

But of course there were still plenty of typical brain farts. Jennings running in, Bird getting involved in that fight, Bird giving away the penalty right before our try on halftime, Bird throwing it over the sideline.. common theme yeah? Stuart subbing Farah off to give Burhrer 10 minutes at hooker in the second half was a terrible call as well.

NSW missed a massive opportunity tonight, we started poorly and the whole pack was pretty sluggish. I honestly feel that Queensland were lucky to win but by same token we are the more resillient footy team. NSW seem to need EVERY planet in the universe to align for success.

Lastly, people should never ever doubt Tate in an Origin jersey - he's superhuman in maroon, always has been and always will be.

Last edited:

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • GCBRONCO
  • Kev_Guz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • IceWorks
  • Dazza 92
  • kman
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncomax
  • Brotherdu
  • Stix
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Behold
  • Battler
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.