Game 2 - Post Match Discussion

If Slater is out of Game 3, i wouldn't mind seeing Boyd back to Fullback and bring in Ash Graham on the wing. Also, Johnson looked pretty good back in the Maroon jersey warming up.

luke-skywalker-nooooo1.jpg

Watch the game again... Farah made him his bitch several times.

i dont want to watch that match again, there was nothing good to come from it the first time. i couldnt sit through such an inept performance again. farah made lots of people his bitch last night, he played the house down. again, a few missed tackles that didnt lean to any line breaks or anything is MUCH less of a problem than only doing 4 hitups in 46 minutes and going MIA.

i dont want to watch that match again, there was nothing good to come from it the first time. i couldnt sit through such an inept performance again. farah made lots of people his bitch last night, he played the house down. again, a few missed tackles that didnt lean to any line breaks or anything is MUCH less of a problem than only doing 4 hitups in 46 minutes and going MIA.
Uh? you mean 14 hit-ups in 38 minutes, right? Or aren't we comparing props anymore now? :rolleyes:

My thoughts,

Thurston ran sideways too much and died with the ball way too much.
Not sure why Taylor played on the right fringe and not his usual left, I think he's struggling with the expectations of being the coal train,
Civo did a couple of good runs just when we needed them,
Smiths kicking was sublime and kept us in the game,
The tactic of kick early and smash slater took him out of the game,
hodges WTF! was wrong with him last night is he carrying an injury

Didnt deserve to win with the first half display but the second half showed what we can do when the structure and composure was there, and when we held the ball.

I think overall the swarming defence got Qld flustered and took way too long to settle down.

Im not sure if we are deliberately not matching aggression early but we are on the back from the start in both games.

Dry track we'll get em but the Tate 20m tap was a massive call and this is where I wouldn't mind the video ref being able to check it

Uh? you mean 14 hit-ups in 38 minutes, right? Or aren't we comparing props anymore now? :rolleyes:
what are you even trying to argue? youre not making much sense.

you were arguing against dropping the players i think should be dropped, and you made a point of it by pointing out scotts missed tackles and saying he should be dropped for that by my standards. i said that missing 4 tackles that led to nothing is nowhere near as bad as only making 4 runs in 46 minutes, like one of the players i want dropped did.

youre not making sense, as usual.

The tactic of kick early and smash slater took him out of the game
thats what i thought as well at first, but looking at it now i think his PCL injury is more likely what took him out of the game. he still defused every bomb with excellent catches, and still made decent kick returns. i thought he looked scared, even said as much, but it looks more likely that he wasnt scared of being smashed but he was scared of 'oh $hit ive done my knee and i can barely run'.

Last edited:
Last night was actually the most runs and run metres Slater has ever made in an Origin match.

So I wouldn't say he was really taken out of the game. He wasn't at his best in other ways, passing in particular.

Last night was actually the most runs and run metres Slater has ever made in an Origin match.

So I wouldn't say he was really taken out of the game. He wasn't at his best in other ways, passing in particular.

I think they definitely tried to make him work harder running the ball back so he'd be less fresh when on the attack. It worked (the knee injury making it even more effective).

I think they definitely tried to make him work harder running the ball back so he'd be less fresh when on the attack. It worked (the knee injury making it even more effective).

All that said, he still had one of the best games under the high ball i have seen. he was brilliant

What was the ruling with his last effort?

Thought it went forward off him before Jennings got it.

Not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't read back through all the posts, but can someone explain to me why Hannant isn't getting more game time cause I just don't get it.

Not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't read back through all the posts, but can someone explain to me why Hannant isn't getting more game time cause I just don't get it.

The only explanation I have is that Mal probably rates him as the 4th best front rower out of the 4 we have, so he gets less minutes than everyone else.

If Slater is out of Game 3, i wouldn't mind seeing Boyd back to Fullback and bring in Ash Graham on the wing. Also, Johnson looked pretty good back in the Maroon jersey warming up.

Thats a horrible idea.

Also, I cannot believe how much the "loyal" QLD supporters are losing it. It sounds like Broncoman and The Rock every third post.
One bloke even had the hide to say we gotta give GI more ball because "he is our only attacking weapon".. Cmon boys, stop shitting yourself.

Keep the same blokes, mayyybbbeee minus Taylor. Remember we made some huge errors that were VERY uncharacteristic that didnt help our cause. Passes over the sideline, dropped balls, poor reads, sinbinning.

WE ONLY LOST BY 4 POINTS IN FRONT OF 83,000 SCREAMING NSW SUPPORTERS IN SHITHOLE CONDITIONS... Going to be a VERY different Game 3 at Lang Park. And for those saying drop Petro. Yeah, I think he's played a year too long. But he is gunna prove everybody wrong next game.

Slater injured- GI Fullback, Nielsen centre. He done the job last year and does it consistently for Melbourne.

C'mon boys stick the fark together and be happy on how we almost clawed back FFS!

And for Slaters "weak" game. The bloke did his knee and played the whole game. He saved our ass NUMEROUS times under the high ball.

And for Slaters "weak" game. The bloke did his knee and played the whole game. He saved our ass NUMEROUS times under the high ball.

Who described his performance as weak? I thought he was inspirational.

Mate I totally agree. Numerous times in this thread people said he had a shocker. The Origin player ratings all over the Web counted him as if he was Grant Rovelli.

I just think everybody apart from 3 or 4 blokes are getting a bit too carried away with last nights performance.. We will be a different side at Suncorp.

My only concern was the halves, in particularly Carney. I thought he was relatively average again. Kicking game from both of them wasn't very good either I thought. Carney seemed to get in the way too often, he lost the plot a bit and didn't know what he needed to do at times. I still think it's nerves, he needs to calm down a bit. His running game was dangerous though.

SOOOO happy, this is the proudest I've been since 2005. It was the most committed performance I have ever seen, it was truly inspiring. I'd say the same thing even if we lost because it was a truly amazing performance.

i agree about the halves - for most of the match they were pretty ineffective. NSW's defence and ball control won them the game, not their attacking ability. their completion rate was superb, and their defence was air tight. the bad thing for NSW is that the media is already going on about how Carney had a brilliant game and is the comeback kid just because he made 1 linebreak. apart from that, he wasnt very good. missed some relatively easy shots at goal, didnt have a good kicking game in general play.

as far as performances go, this game or game 2 last year are about as good as you can get from a NSW side in terms of playing against this QLD team. it was, and i hate to say it, expertly coached in their gameplan, especially morris shutting down inglis.

Completely agree on Slater - how much more QLD can you get? He has an injury which usually puts players out for 3-4 weeks and defused VERY difficult bombs with players in his face time and time again. Without Slater's effort, could have been 20+ to 12. Damn legend. Plus he was so close to finding those gaps he usually finds some how in big SOO games - hope he can be there for game 3 (but if not, it's Inglis and No. 1)

he made 1 linebreak.

This is probably a tad harsh, but I think Slater stuffed up in reagrds to that line break too. He chose to take Carney, when it seemed clear that Inglis already had Carney covered. He should have stayed on Stewart and I don't think they would have scored. Hindsight huh?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Jedhead
  • Ronald
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.