Game 2 - Post Match Discussion

That try was very soft - usual QLD defence would have him almost over the sideline. Snake dug deep for it but, you could see how bad he wanted it, we just didn't have the same to match in defence.

Just imagine if a couple of flukes didn't come off for NSW.The Hayne kick for the Morris try and Jennings knocking the ball out of Tate's hands. Could have been completely different. QLD are still far ahead IMO, especially if they put effort into it like in the last 15 minutes last night.

Exactly we just need to up the intensity from the start and hold onto the damn ball.

Was it just me or did Qld not move up in defence at all?

QLD are the masters of flukes, they make their own luck like NSW did last night. Could you imagine what might have happened if QLD didn't fluke tries in the past 6 years? Results would be different. Fact is, NSW had the urgency over QLD in a big way. That's part of QLD's problem.

Pretty sad to say the last 6 years has been a fluke for QLD ... Making your own luck and flukes are completely different. Last year when QLD are down and Slater gets put into a gap or numerous other similar come backs are flukes? Players must just train to fluke then..

I think I know what you mean but poor choice of words

Josh Morris was there to pick up the ball. Is THAT a fluke or is it making the most of a situation? He could have just stopped and said "Meh, Hayne knocked it on". Instead he played to the whistle and scored the try. It's exactly what QLD have done for years. If you want to call that a fluke, then QLD have had their fair share of fluke tries in the past as well then.

The poor choice of words here has come from Alec, not me.

Funny how if NSW make the most of a situation then it's branded a fluke. But if QLD do, it's called "making your own luck". Give me a break, it makes me SICK!

Yeah you're right Rock - I missed Alec's comment and see the context a bit clearer now. The Jennings knock out wasn't a fluke, he was there defending and doing whatever he could to stop the try and the Morris try wasn't a fluke - Hayne was trying for something special and it happened then Morris played on.

It's exactly what QLD have done for years. If you want to call that a fluke, then QLD have had their fair share of fluke tries in the past as well then.

i think QLD have had MUCH more flukey and lucky tries in the last 6 years than what NSW got last night, no doubt. some include:

- Lockyers series winner in 2006
- ball hitting minichiellos knee and bouncing back for yow yeh to score
- hayne throwing the ball back in as he fell over near the sideline for i think lockyer to score

all luck. yes, QLD put pressure on and to an extent forced the mistake - but its still luck. NSW got it last night with hayne "kicking" the ball that he dropped.

Have skimmed as much of this thread as possible. I agree NSW were better than us congrates to them they were desperate and deserved the win. I really didn't think it possible to play worse than game 1 but there you go we did.

Thurston and Cronk are the keys to us playing to our standard. Thurston seems stuck between half and five eight and Cronk has looked out of his depth totally until he came back on after the bin. Finally he took some control and didn't we look better for it.

No Locky really showed last night, we tried to lift and did but we didn't have a go to guy when it really mattered.

I'm no fan of Michael Hagan and I suspect that was his game plan last night. Far too much play starting from the middle of the field, we ran ourselves out of room and made it easy for NSW to slide and use the sideline. Not only didn't we kick to Uate we didn't isolate him and force him to make a decision in D.

I've never been a fan of Taylor because I think he is timid when it counts but that is a known and if you pick him then you have to play to him the way he prefers, not use him as a prop. Hannant is a prop, FFS give him more time.

Game 3, hopefully on a dry track, Inglis to 1 Tate to 3 Nielson, O' neil or whoever to the wing.

Much will be made of Petros last game hopefully this time when I say we can't play any worse we can't.

My thoughts from the game, summarised in bite-sized chunks.

1. Petero looked like an old man out there, but he still played damn well. I don't think he's left his retirement too late.

2. I think that collision with the goalpost early in the game took its toll on Thurston. He seemed dazed for the rest of the game.

3. NSW took advantage of a 12-man defence a lot better than Queensland did, and in worse attacking conditions.

4. Tim Grant always looks angry.

5. Queensland's trainers apparently can perform knee reconstructions on the sidelines. I thought Tate was gone early in the piece, the bloke is tough.

6. Glenn Stewart is a typical Manly grub, but what separates him from some of the Queenslanders is how blatant he is. Something I saw last night, which I don't remember spotting in the past, was a lot of Blues players getting facials from the forearms of people like Smith, Tate, Harrison, etc. Far more subtle than sticking a palm in the face. Then there's Myles, who seems to be on an intellectual par with G. Stewart and probably couldn't spell subtle.

7. 50% of Billy Slater is still better than most fullbacks in the competition. Almost every NSW kick ended up in his hands, regardless of who kicked it or where they were aiming. He's incredible at reading the play. I'm tipping that Inglis will inherit his position, which scares me when Queensland have the ball, but has me hopeful for our own attack. Not that Inglis is a terrible defensive fullback; but he reminds me of Brett Morris playing fullback in that he sometimes gets caught out. He doesn't have Slater's nous, not that anybody really does.
However, I'm a bit worried that if we DO win, QLD will have the "if Slater was here we would've won" line, regardless of how the game goes.

8. That game was brutal. It seems like the entire QLD backline took turns at nursing injuries or trying to recover from the huge hits NSW were putting on them. I hope the third game is harder still.

9. Nice to see an Origin game with no controversial calls, no matter how hard the Tele and Mail squat down, clench their teeth and try to squeeze one out. Not due to better refereeing, but just the fact that nothing as bizarre as Inglis' game 1 try actually took place.

9. Nice to see an Origin game with no controversial calls, no matter how hard the Tele and Mail squat down, clench their teeth and try to squeeze one out. Not due to better refereeing, but just the fact that nothing as bizarre as Inglis' game 1 try actually took place.

were you watching a replay of another game? cause you certainly werent watching the match that was on last night.

'oh hai, im jennings. im just gonna hit this ball out of tates hands as hes going to score'....20m tap to nsw
tate dives on ball, hayne tackles him. hayne then tries to pick him up and force him over the sideline. what does ref do? call play on! penalty every day of the week. apart from origin day after 3 weeks of nsw whinging apparently.

were you watching a replay of another game? cause you certainly werent watching the match that was on last night.

'oh hai, im jennings. im just gonna hit this ball out of tates hands as hes going to score'....20m tap to nsw
tate dives on ball, hayne tackles him. hayne then tries to pick him up and force him over the sideline. what does ref do? call play on! penalty every day of the week. apart from origin day after 3 weeks of nsw whinging apparently.

Well yes, Hayne should've been penalised for that drag, had it been declared a tackle. But then Tate was allowed to get up and play on rather than the ref calling held, not exactly a NSW-beneficial decision. So both players got a LOT of leeway in that one play.

Well yes, Hayne should've been penalised for that drag, had it been declared a tackle. But then Tate was allowed to get up and play on rather than the ref calling held, not exactly a NSW-beneficial decision. So both players got a LOT of leeway in that one play.

how did tate get any leeway? he shouldve been tackled. ref didnt call it. hayne shouldve been penalized. he wasnt. you cant be penalized for running after held has been called, you just get brought back to play it, so its not like there was any 'oh that couldve been a penalty against qld' because it couldnt. it shouldve been a penalty, as plain as day. it wasnt, hence the controversy.

how did tate get any leeway? he shouldve been tackled. ref didnt call it. hayne shouldve been penalized. he wasnt. you cant be penalized for running after held has been called, you just get brought back to play it, so its not like there was any 'oh that couldve been a penalty against qld' because it couldnt. it shouldve been a penalty, as plain as day. it wasnt, hence the controversy.

But he wasn't brought back to play it; he was allowed to just keep going. So I'd have to assume that the ref never considered it a tackle in the first place, meaning that both players' actions were fine.
You're right though, that was quite a shitty moment.

2590282166_2ccf7360c4.jpg

My thoughts from the game, summarised in bite-sized chunks.

1. Petero looked like an old man out there, but he still played damn well. I don't think he's left his retirement too late.

2. I think that collision with the goalpost early in the game took its toll on Thurston. He seemed dazed for the rest of the game.

3. NSW took advantage of a 12-man defence a lot better than Queensland did, and in worse attacking conditions.

4. Tim Grant always looks angry.

5. Queensland's trainers apparently can perform knee reconstructions on the sidelines. I thought Tate was gone early in the piece, the bloke is tough.

6. Glenn Stewart is a typical Manly grub, but what separates him from some of the Queenslanders is how blatant he is. Something I saw last night, which I don't remember spotting in the past, was a lot of Blues players getting facials from the forearms of people like Smith, Tate, Harrison, etc. Far more subtle than sticking a palm in the face. Then there's Myles, who seems to be on an intellectual par with G. Stewart and probably couldn't spell subtle.

7. 50% of Billy Slater is still better than most fullbacks in the competition. Almost every NSW kick ended up in his hands, regardless of who kicked it or where they were aiming. He's incredible at reading the play. I'm tipping that Inglis will inherit his position, which scares me when Queensland have the ball, but has me hopeful for our own attack. Not that Inglis is a terrible defensive fullback; but he reminds me of Brett Morris playing fullback in that he sometimes gets caught out. He doesn't have Slater's nous, not that anybody really does.
However, I'm a bit worried that if we DO win, QLD will have the "if Slater was here we would've won" line, regardless of how the game goes.

8. That game was brutal. It seems like the entire QLD backline took turns at nursing injuries or trying to recover from the huge hits NSW were putting on them. I hope the third game is harder still.

1. He deserves to be sent out a winner in game 3 - an unsung hero!

2. Completely missed that.

3. Too true, QLD attack has everyone concerned I think. NSW is also reading it better now too so have to change some things.

4. For sure

5. I know! We were all trying to figure out who was going to be shifted where and then he was back! He couldn't even walk if you watch him in back play! Then still went on to have a great game in defence.

6. Someone had to take over from Ennis. Plus, I think Ellias has been whispering too long in Farrah's ear too. You are right about the facials but, I hadn't noticed that many in the past either but in the game last night they were a lot more evident - NSW didn't like the taste their own medicine either.

7. Doubt many other fullbacks would have even stayed on the field and if they did would not have been able to come even close to replicating Slater's achievement.

8. Very physical - Ricky finally moving toward a bigger pack and getting some results. Remember all that talk about the smaller / faster pack and that QLD were fools for keeping on with the big men?

9. Agree with Anonymous person on the Jennings incident. There is no answer for the Jennings knock out on Tate - no matter how you approach. When Jennings knocked it out of Tate's hands it became a NSW ball, if it lands in field and a QLD'er jumps on it then it's try time every day of the week. I almost choked when they came back for a 20m restart.

There is no answer for the Jennings knock out on Tate - no matter how you approach. When Jennings knocked it out of Tate's hands it became a NSW ball, if it lands in field and a QLD'er jumps on it then it's try time every day of the week. I almost choked when they came back for a 20m restart.

Beau Ryan said on the Footy Show, that is was a square up for what happened in the 1st game.

ACTUALLY, Jennings said it himself.

Link here (goes on to say was the wrong call):

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-origin-campaign/story-e6frfghx-1226396004512

And Tate's humble (oh, I mean smug, stuck up) comment:

"But I'm not blaming them - I'd be looking at myself more than the referees. If you're looking for us to go point the finger at them, it's not going to happen, because they (the referees) did a good job and NSW were just better than us."

Legend .. anyone mind translating that into Ricky's language if the same had happened to Ricky's team?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Xzei
  • phoenix
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • Mister Wright
  • jd87
  • Manofoneway
  • Gaz
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • bert_lifts
  • TimWhatley
  • Socnorb
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.