PRE-GAME Game I 2019

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Follow up question, how many people on that land will know the language? I've noticed during the anthem at the All-Stars games when they zoom in on the crown, usually on the indigenous people, that literally none of them are singing along. I'm fine with them doing it by the way, just trying to understand the logistics.
That depends which land they are on. Many of the southern nations have very little native speakers though recently there has been a concerted effort by many to 'rebirth' their mother tongue. The further north you go the more likely you are to encounter a First Australin that speaks their own language first and English second. As I said earlier many would be quite satisfied with a revised version of the English anthem. I think the Kombumerri choir performed the anthem once during the Indigenous round at a Titans game as Gold Coast is part of the Yugembah 'Country'.

I don't think "Australia Fair" or "Young and Free" are meant to be even close to white supremacist anymore. I don't think any white people even associate it with white supremacy. Words and meanings change, smoking a *** used to mean something different too.

I don't think "Australia Fair" or "Young and Free" are meant to be even close to white supremacist anymore. I don't think any white people even associate it with white supremacy. Words and meanings change, smoking a *** used to mean something different too.

I’m indigenous and I have no problem with the anthem besides it being boring. The main reason some indigenous people don’t like it is because when it was written aboriginal people weren’t “young and free” meaning that the anthem wasn’t written with them in mind, even when being the land owners. It was written more for the “white invaders” who had destroyed their families and culture. That one line “we are young and free” seems to be the main sore spot. Not to mention the second verse talks about people coming from across the sea. Again I don’t have much of a problem but if you take into account the destruction, murder and rape that went on during those years the song is pretty much a symbolism of everything they hated. I don’t blame some people for not wanting to belt it out with pride

I kind of agree with you, if it's offensive to indigenous Australians then can we simply just change it? What do you propose is a viable solution moving forward? Two national anthems?

Would you have time to ever learn a new anthem? I know kids at schools would but I can’t see adults being bothered with it.

A lot of the criticism is just looking for any excuse to make it seem offensive.
Some impressive mental gymnastics can be used to make anything seem offensive.
If they don't want to sing it, I fully support that. If people get upset and make a huge deal about them not singing it, then who is really getting too easily offended.

It's not like they started media campaigns saying don't sing the anthem. They got asked direct questions and answered honestly.

If I was indigenous there is no way I'd sing that anthem.

Just do this with some lyrics changed

Last edited:
Would you have time to ever learn a new anthem? I know kids at schools would but I can’t see adults being bothered with it.
I would if it meant everyone could just move on. It was also suggested just altering certain verses, which wouldn't be difficult to do.

If only Rolf Harris didn't turn out to be a pedo. We could just change it to Tie me kangaroo down, something everyone already knows.

If only Rolf Harris didn't turn out to be a pedo. We could just change it to Tie me kangaroo down, something everyone already knows.

I would have thought we are Australian would have been a candidate

I would have thought we are Australian would have been a candidate

You know what, I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. Thought maybe the only reason people don’t push for it is because it’s been flogged a bit commercially. I haven’t looked up the words yet though.

A surprise late inclusion of Charlotte Caslick on the wing for the Jets. Boys weren't too sure how to handle her running at them.

I’d be all over that ball and all.

Unread

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.