11. Sam Thaiday
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh Papalii

14. Ashton Sims
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. Cohen Hess
17. Anthony Milford

Ashton Sims? Surely you jest?

I thought one of the biggest glaring differences last night was the lack of second phase play by us, we took Parker's elite off-loading for granted at state level, he was monumental for our attack.

McGuire, Napa, Myles, Lillyman, Gillett all failed to make a single off-load last night, that's unacceptable. In comparison, Woods & Fifita made 5 between them, all instrumental in getting them on the front foot, often leading directly to a try. If there's one thing we need to work on big time leading up to next game, it's that, second phase play is arguably the most important aspect of attack in Origin.

Queensland won five series in a row without a Parker off-load.

If you have a forward that can do it, and knows when to do it more importantly it's nice but I don't think it's a vital component of attack.

Offloads come with momentum and quick play the balls, if you're struggling to move and the line is always set and they're getting numbers at you, you can't offload.

Disappointing night, just didn't see it coming. Queensland's bench let them down. Once they had to go to the bench the game opened up. The first 20 minutes I thought Queensland were playing good football and creating half chances. After that 20 minutes and the try just before half time broke them.

The plan was to get at Hayne and they did create two line breaks down there. Cronk was creating two on ones and making space.

Missed tackles in the ruck and guys just not coming across because they thought the play was dead were killers.

Queensland completed sets, they didn't make mistakes they just did nothing with it and then found themselves in no physical condition to do anything. Physically Queensland need to find something. Not bigger necessarily but more physical and impact.

Queensland's best two were the wingers which says something. Oates was eight runs in the first 20 minutes and was great.

Mal made the tough call in 2013 after going down 1-0. He dropped Harrison and Shillington.

Myles origin career has got to be done. I'd be happy to give Wallace a run and I feel we need to fit valentines Holmes in some how. I'd be dropping O'Neil to do so.

I think if we shut down Fifita we win this game.

When Fifita went off for a HIA, NSW had nothing. They were having a lot of trouble coming out of their end and we were getting a roll on and getting over the top of them despite NSW having a bigger pack, which they've always had by the way.

Once Fifita came back on, that's when NSW got over the top of us.

I think people are hitting the panic buttons a bit too much.

I think if we shut down Fifita we win this game.

When Fifita went off for a HIA, NSW had nothing. They were having a lot of trouble coming out of their end and we were getting a roll on and getting over the top of them despite NSW having a bigger pack, which they've always had by the way.

Once Fifita came back on, that's when NSW got over the top of us.

I think people are hitting the panic buttons a bit too much.

Yeah I agree. Only needs tweaking. We were competing for that first half with a few blokes that are way past their time. They only run for about 150m more.

I get sick of reading about McGuire's lack of offload. No one else offloads either, would just the lock offloading make a difference? Only Parker in his prime might. It's not like NSW had an offloading lock either - Jackson played there. I guess someone should tell Fifita he's playing in the wrong position too.

Damn Fifita was good last night. He destroyed Queensland.

I get sick of reading about McGuire's lack of offload. No one else offloads either, would just the lock offloading make a difference? Only Parker in his prime might. It's not like NSW had an offloading lock either - Jackson played there. I guess someone should tell Fifita he's playing in the wrong position too.

McGuire never looks to do anything other than a one out hit up. It's usually a wasted tackle 4 option as well. I guess people just wanted to see what else he had to offer once he moved to lock.

McGuire never looks to do anything other than a one out hit up. It's usually a wasted tackle 4 option as well. I guess people just wanted to see what else he had to offer once he moved to lock.

Yeah, but how is that any different to our other forwards? Besides, if they dont want him running on the 4th, dont pass it to him then.
My point is, you arent going to find locks like Parker very often. And that props can offload the ball too, it's not a specific thing only a lock can do. Just look at Woods and Fifita. And why does no one blame Gillett or Papalii for not offloading either? There hasn't been any big difference between props and locks in like a decade now.

I think most of us could see that NSW forward pack giving us a flogging from a mile away. Loyalty is great but not the kind of the loyalty that sees the likes of Myles, Lillyman and Guerra get a game when there are much better options available.

Cameron Smith played one of his worst ever games last night too. He's usually immaculate in every facet of the game but not last night. Even Gillet had a pretty poor game in defense I thought.

Dane Gagai is a star. He will move to centre for the next match and should go really well in attack but his defense is still a worry. I'm pretty sure Milford is going to be really good at Origin level but more faith needs to be put into his kicking game if it is going to work.

Haven't posted my full thoughts on the game yet

That performance from NSW was one of the best I've ever seen from them, and I saw Joey dominate in 2005 and the 3 straight wins. They played to their potential rolling through the QLD forwards and giving Tedesco, Hayne and Maloney opportunities to capitalize and they took full advantage of what was given to them. I was confident that NSW could win but I most certainly didn't expect them to win by 24.

I didn't understand some of those selections the Maroons made and I was right about them. I'm expecting the Maroons to ditch loyalty for Game 2 and they will come out stronger as a result.

Thought the best NSW players were Tedesco and Fifita. Tedesco is a super fullback and I knew Origin would bring out the best in him (Lockyer would be delivering squat in that Tigers team). Not only was he a danger at the back playing a role in 1 try and scoring another he was as safe as Fort Knox at the back cleaning up the loose balls, taking the bombs and coming up with try savers, loved his tackle on Gillett. Say what you what about Fifita there is no denying how great he is when he is on. Totally destroyed the QLD forwards with his Beetson like ball skills and charging runs, defended well as well. Deserved to win MOM

For the Maroons I didn't think there were many who could hold their heads high but Gagai made some strong runs and was hard to handle and Oates handled himself well and was awarded with a try. Napa justified himself on debut as well as Milford and they will get more chances.

Conclusion:

A wonderful night for the Blues as they go 1 up in the series a totally dominant victory and I felt the score was a reflection on their performance. I expect the Maroons to hit back harder in Sydney but I feel that Queensland will need a mighty effort to keep the series alive as NSW will go into Game 2 with maximum confidence and belief and will be as motivated as ever to win the series in front of a NSW crowd.

That tackle by Teddy, whilst great I think you mainly have to put down to Troboyadafuckshisname, without him I don't know that he stops a rampaging Gillette. Beautiful legs tackle and I hope our guys pay attention to how it's done. Not taking anything away from Ted, he had a blinder and I agree that he and Fatfita were your best.

QUEENSLAND’S State of Origin fightback must start with defence after their tally of 51 missed tackles on Wednesday was revealed as the most by a Maroons side since 2010.
Fox Sports Stats says Origin I was the 10th time a Queensland side have missed 50 or more tackles in 109 Origin matches.
The Maroons missed 45 in the first two games combined last year, so controlling the NSW ballrunners better is the first step to winning in Sydney.
Justin O’Neill’s demise from the Game Two selection will be hastened when the selectors learn he missed eight tackles, the equal most in the game along with NSW five-eighth James Maloney.
34e17ce87543cb1dbf27b2d501164c76

Jarryd Hayne gets past Justin O’Neill, who missed eight tackles in Origin I.
In-form Matt Gillett must strike back in Origin II after missing a tackle in the first two NSW tries and six overall, while effecting 39 tackles.
Possible selection panel victim Nate Myles missed one tackle in his 32-minute stint, but it was on Andrew Fifita to spark the first NSW try, by Maloney.
Blues fullback James Tedesco made 13 tackle busts and Fifita seven, a high number for an Origin prop.
Maroons utility Michael Morgan made 14 of his 20 tackle attempts.

Had to post this article just for the O'Neill "derping it up" photo.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...i/news-story/c2f2803be66cea6a49110be8510fbfdd

Active Now

• Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.