Game I Post-Game Discussion Thread

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Blues take Game I 14-6 in a strange old game.

The Blues appeared on top for the majority but still made some really basic errors that kept Queensland in the hunt. Some lovely build up work from Hodges, Slater and Tate saw Boyd eventually cross over on the opposite corner but they just seemed to lack the sensibilities to go all the way tonight.

Points of discussion

Have the Blues risen to another level? Where did they win the game?

Conversley who let the Maroons down? Do they need to make personnel changes or do we show these players some patience?

What moments will you take out of the game? Was the Gallen brawl at the end of half-time really the highlight of the game? Will he be available for Game II?

The Bloos seemed to play above themselves tonight .... kudos to them ,,, they out enthused us.

Saying that though, we played pretty ordinary that first half. No enthusiasm at all.

I'm predicting a big win up here in game 2.

Gillett, Te'o and McQueen went OK, but OK doesn't win you games. I think we need Papalli. Definitely need Hannant too.

No way Qld will play that poorly at Suncorp. Thurston was obviously crook and the pictures after the game proved that.

Take out that first try which came from a dud knock-on call, home town advantage, and there wasnt a lot in it. Qld will level up in Game Two, no doubt.

Where did they win the game?

When the ref said Tate touched the ball & the Blues scored the first try not long after that.

IMO: That was the turning point of the game, I know it was only about the 7 min.

Yes the Blues played really well in the first half.

I think the QLD bench played better than the some of the starting squad. But they didn't have the impact of our bench so it was a catch 22.

Great result. We stood up and got in the face like QLD have for the past 7 years. Still a huge task to go.

Bring on game 2. I think we are getting tickets to game 3 now.

New south Wales dominated. Completely. Queensland were never in it.

Yet, only 14-6.

I don't think blues can improve much on that, other than their error rate. Queensland has heaps of improvement.

Game 2, Queensland by 20.

When the ref said Tate touched the ball & the Blues scored the first try not long after that.

See I think the QLD player after Tate knocked it forward anyway.

I thought Gillett played well (yeah I'm biased). Looked to me to poke his head through the line and had the arm free on a few occasions. More than I can say for McQueen or Thaiday. Didn't think Te'o went too badly but went missing in the 2nd half.

Hannant and Papali definitely need to come in, McQueen should go and frankly I'd send Thaiday with him.

NSW were fully deserving of their win as they were on top for most of the game and scored when it counted. It's hard to respect them tonight though because of how cheap Gallen was at the end of the first half.

Gillett was fine but didn't really add what we needed to the game. Threw a really dumb offload too which killed our moment.

Brisbane need him more

Blues take Game I 14-6 in a strange old game.

The Blues appeared on top for the majority but still made some really basic errors that kept Queensland in the hunt. Some lovely build up work from Hodges, Slater and Tate saw Boyd eventually cross over on the opposite corner but they just seemed to lack the sensibilities to go all the way tonight.

Points of discussion

Conversley who let the Maroons down? Do they need to make personnel changes or do we show these players some patience?

What moments will you take out of the game? Was the Gallen brawl at the end of half-time really the highlight of the game? Will he be available for Game II?

Blues definitely were up a notch tonight, that's one of their better games over the last few years. Not their best due to the number of errors, but they were pretty solid. There was always one more Blues jersey than Maroon, in attack and defence. They were definitely more hungry and deserved the win. They read our attacking plays very well, and there didn't appear to be too many gaps in their defence until about the 60th minute - then space started opening up everywhere but we couldn't take advantage of it for some reason. It's usually been something the Maroons have done very well.

Just about everyone let the Maroons down I thought. Parker and Hodges and Slater were great. Kicking game was absolutely SHIT, if Thursto's not 100% he should sit out for DCE next game. Our line speed was terrible, and our defensive line in general was very staggered and very un-Maroon-like. Their first 2 tries should not have been scored, the number of players who fell off Hayne and Jennings was embarrassing (although those guys are 2 of the best at it in the comp). We severely lacked any impact in attack, no-one was bending their line really, yet we were giving them the meterage just about every set. The Maroons dominance has partly been off the front row steamrolling through and giving the halves plenty of space - we didn't get that tonight and as a result everything just looked slow and rushed.

I'll take the crap refereeing out of the game - again. Gallen should have been in the bin. He will be available for Game II, absolutely no doubt about it. Grub.

Maroons will be a different team in Brisbane, and they will need to be. NSW won't get better than they were tonight. We have 200% improvement so the series SHOULD be safe. But we can't keep starting slow like that. We didn't even look in the game til the 60th minute. Very, very disappointing.

/end rant

See I think the QLD player after Tate knocked it forward anyway.

Well the Blues commentators opps, I mean 9 commentators said the ref made a mistake & that the QLD should have gotten a penalty.

I'd say they're about even to where they were in the corresponding game last year. Some impressive signs in offence but still too many basic errors with both the ball and in defence.

They won the game in the forwards. Lewis, Gallen and Bird consistently terrorised the Maroons and that gave the likes of Farah a good base to work off of. I thought Hayne was great at the back - brought his A game and got NSW out of trouble time and time again. Good try to open with.

Halves were better than ours but only by a bit. Couple of good kicks but then they went missing for large stretches.

Conversely who let the Maroons down? Do they need to make personnel changes or do we show these players some patience?

Where do I start? Forwards were beaten to the punch both figuratively and literally. Didn't think there was enough energy from them early and they were chasing their hides ever since. Mind you, if Myles just catches the ball, he scores a soft try and suddenly Queensland are well and truly in the game. NSW were mentally weak, all it took was one try for them to surrender like the French.

Thought Cronk had a shocker. How many dummies did he throw?

JT and Slater seemed underdone too - GI didn't receive anywhere near enough ball.

Hopefully Hannant is right for Game II because he'd be a big in. Bring him in for Harrison who I simply don't think is up to this level anymore. Perhaps Lillyman for Gillett too to give us a traditional 4 prop rotation.

Don't know that the Blues were spectacular, but they did play with enthusiasm, something that was sorely lacking on the Queensland side, and with a lot more cohesion. They were the better team.

Thurston was obviously well below one hundred per cent, but I think the consecutive games record meant he was always going to play. Typical strong efforts from Hodges, Parker, Tate, Smith, but there were a few passengers. Inglis was largely quiet. Thaiday is still capable of a big play or two, but just as capable of a stupid or lazy mistake, and I don't know that he's really anything more than an average backrower these days. Gillett has no business being in the team. They definitely want some more size on the bench. I think there should be quite a few changes for game two, but I don't expect to see them. It's not Mal's style.

Very proud of the boys and the state of NSW after tonight, thrilled that we won but there is still room for improvement. NSW made 16 errors compared to QLD's 9 and our completion rate was disappointing after halftime. I would like to see NSW show more creativity with the ball as we only made 4 offloads compared to the Maroons 11. The Blues will need to lift their game though as QLD will hit back strongly at Lang Park. Congratulations to both teams for a great night of footy.

Was hoping to get back that winning feeling but to no avail. Congrats broncos/blues fans. Must be feeling pretty good right now.

Blues were the better side no doubt and the refs were not that bad but it shits me we rarely get the rub of the green with the 50 50s.
We can't play much worse but they can play better as well, they coughed up plenty of ball but we did nothing with it.

My thoughts, I thought I was watching the Broncos with all the one out stuff, when we did finally get things moving we rolled all over them.

Thurston should not have played and he kicked when he shouldn't have to many times, looked reluctant to run the ball.

Inglis had to get in the game far more, just a waste out there.

Why did we keep kicking to Ferguson in the air when he clearly is not comfortable with the ball on the ground.

My pre game fears were correct, Cronk is out of form and Slater is busted, he's just lost that spark over 10 mtrs that made him a weapon.

The things that shat me off were stain laying down and Gallens dog effort along with the BS reason he gave, at least a 2 week suspension.
Most of all I was pissed at the trainer interfering in the play the ball trying to get a player to lay down. WTF business has he in there when the play is continuing. They have to start to penalise trainers who do that, it's the only way to stop it.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  • kiwibronco
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • ezpz
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Redux
  • broncs30
  • marw
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.