Game I Queensland Origin Team

Reading through the previous posts there has been a bit of hate for Guerra... but I'm pretty happy he's in the team. With the injuries we've had I don't think they could ever have picked Hess at this stage. No doubt he'll be a mainstay in a few years time but we need experience and he's not currently able to solidify a starting role on the cows edge. Napa has been selected to be the next leader as he showed last year up against Burgess in an epic display, but you just cannot go into origin with 3 rookie forwards (Napa, Wallace, Hess).

Regarding Guerra you will never see him shirk his responsibilities in terms of hit ups or tackles, he'll tie up that middle and he may allow McGuire's second stint to be at prop if he can play out the game in lock. I believe his demotion in Easts is more political and them trying to force him out rather than purely form.

I'm more concerned about Myles... I'm never worried about his defence, but being considered our leading meter eater has me worried. He'll always throw his hand up for a hit up, but he's been slowing down noticeably in his origin hit ups the last few series.

Probably a long shot ,but does anybody have the audio of Kev Kelleys famous " It's great to be a Queenslander " comment on his radio call of a pre origin interstate match in the 70s?

Might give these youngsters who seem ambivalent on who wins this origin series a taste of what it meant to us back then on the very rare occasion we actually beat the Blues , and why we will now never tire off beating them on every possible occasion .

Reading through the previous posts there has been a bit of hate for Guerra... but I'm pretty happy he's in the team. With the injuries we've had I don't think they could ever have picked Hess at this stage. No doubt he'll be a mainstay in a few years time but we need experience and he's not currently able to solidify a starting role on the cows edge. Napa has been selected to be the next leader as he showed last year up against Burgess in an epic display, but you just cannot go into origin with 3 rookie forwards (Napa, Wallace, Hess).
I'm with you on Hess. The kid can score a try, but at this stage in his career that's all he's got. Defence is sub-standard and his hands are only just above Burgess level. When he's started for the Cowboys they've been considering worse off than games where Lowe has started.

Personally, I'd have replaced Guerra with Wallace or Bolton. You need 2 props on the bench, especially up against the monsters NSW have got.

I'm with you on Hess. The kid can score a try, but at this stage in his career that's all he's got. Defence is sub-standard and his hands are only just above Burgess level. When he's started for the Cowboys they've been considering worse off than games where Lowe has started.

Personally, I'd have replaced Guerra with Wallace or Bolton. You need 2 props on the bench, especially up against the monsters NSW have got.
I'm with you both on Hess, no way is he ready, maybe two years before he's earned the right. I'm hoping Wallace gets to the bench for the next one, we need his youth and enthusiasm. He's proven at a young age that he can be a leader in the forwards. I believe this may be Myles and Guerras last goes unless they play really well above their club form. Cannot see a qld win this year but they constantly surprise me...go you good things

Imo, Queensland just bring out that flu bug story each year just so they can pump up the old story of how they are fighting all the odds.

Well they have barely had any competition on the field over the last 10 years, so it is no surprise that they need to manufacture some adversity.

Well they have barely had any competition on the field over the last 10 years, so it is no surprise that they need to manufacture some adversity.

Well the flu presents more of a threat doesn't it.

I'm sad to say, I actually think gus is right this year. I just don't think we can beat this NSW side with the team we have picked personally.

I'm sad to say, I actually think gus is right this year. I just don't think we can beat this NSW side with the team we have picked personally.
On paper, they have a fantastic squad.

Too bad games aren't played on paper. Even more so of Origin.

I'm with you both on Hess, no way is he ready, maybe two years before he's earned the right. I'm hoping Wallace gets to the bench for the next one, we need his youth and enthusiasm. He's proven at a young age that he can be a leader in the forwards. I believe this may be Myles and Guerras last goes unless they play really well above their club form. Cannot see a qld win this year but they constantly surprise me...go you good things
If Scott didn't go down no way does Myles get selected IMO. They would've brought through a new breed to begin the changing of the guard.

Scott is that influential that you could've brought a Wallace into the squad along with Napa.

People writing us off are overlooking some importent details.

Their backline has more class. Not doubt, but they have 2 fullbacks playing centre, a centre playing wing, and a winger in the twilight of his career.

With Smith and Cronk's impecabke eyes for on overlap, there is no way Boyd and Milf don't terrorise their edges with the space Boyd creates for his outside backs.

We obviously have the better spine. im a fan of Peats but Peats and Pearce are not even close to comparable to Smith and Cronk. That's a 7/10 hooker/half back combo vs a 12/10.

Meloney is a talent but just compare his stats to Milf's this year and his efforts are completely dwarfed.

Tedesco, and Hayne are down on form. Dugan is only just returning from injury.

They have only have us beaten for Props but Aroon Woods is a lazy cat, and Klemmer isn't exactly electrifying. Andrew Fafita scares me the most out of anyone on their team.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I wish our full strength QLD team could be here for this game, because this is the most exciting team NSW have trotted out for a while.

Full strength QLD makes the NSW team, probably the best they will have for years, look average. (In the game that is, not on paper, which is where NSW play).

If Scott didn't go down no way does Myles get selected IMO. They would've brought through a new breed to begin the changing of the guard.

Scott is that influential that you could've brought a Wallace into the squad along with Napa.

Myles would have been selected regardless of whether Scott played or not.

He always does the job asked of him and doesn't let the team down. He would have been one of the first picked.

First try scorer and man of the match predictions, guys???

FT: Oates - I'll have toss up between Oates and Gagai because I am very confident in Boyd catching out the nsw Backline, but Milf will be playing on the left, and I can see Oates catching Fergo out of position before Morris is out of position.

MoM: Boyd - I think the criticism will really push him and he has been gold standard the last few years. I think he will really cause trouble to the NSW defence, and will want to stake his claim as a future QLD leader.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Financeguy
  • Redux
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BruiserMk1
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Browny
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Galah
  • westy316
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.