OFFICIAL Game II Queensland Side

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Fox Sports is pretty smart.. Gene Miles & Kevin Walters both said one of the big reasons they picked Gavin Cooper is because he can play 80 minutes and it'll enable them to rotate their middle forwards more often.

Fox names their "probable QLD 17" and have Cooper on the bench, lol.

To be fair, Walters isn't exactly bright in this regard. He said he got their on his own merits when a reporter suggested playing with JT was why he was picked. Then he launched into his reason for picking him being because of JT. Then he realised his mistake and changed the story again.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
19059491_930112480461945_8522305254655538316_n.jpg

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Even I have doubts about Glasby, but I hope he reads that and uses it as motivation and fires up.

Like when White said the Broncos forwards were soft before Game 1 of the 2007 series and Carroll and Petero hammered him, and Carroll broke his nose.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Opinions , they are like a holes . We all have them .
Instead of getting personal . How about some reasoning as to why you think your opinion is trump .

I already said my opinion on why they targeted Oates.

Since he debuted he's run for more meters than everyone except Gagai, and scored two tries.

In a game where we were outrun by over a few hundred meters, it seems counter-intuitive to drop your 2nd best meter eater, who scored the only try in the previous game.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Well, I can't disagree with that for once. He makes so little impact with his runs and just won't be there long enough to have much effect with his defence. I worry about having him and Cooper on at the same time, we won't make any metres.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Obviously haven't learnt since the 'Adam Who' headlines.

I can't help but laugh when you guys have a go at the dt for writing shit about Queensland. Yes the dt is a joke but I see the courier mail every day and they come out with some pure rubbish about the Blues that is easily on the same level. They were even having a crack today.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
I can't help but laugh when you guys have a go at the dt for writing shit about Queensland. Yes the dt is a joke but I see the courier mail every day and they come out with some pure rubbish about the Blues that is easily on the same level. They were even having a crack today.

Fair enough, the point I was trying to make was a parallel between the headlines and the obscure selections. Hopefully (from my POV) Glasby has a night to remember like Mogg did.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
They kicked to him because they thought he was weak under the high ball. He then caught everything they threw at him and they changed tactics.
I already said my opinion on why they targeted Oates.
Since he debuted he's run for more meters than everyone except Gagai, and scored two tries.
In a game where we were outrun by over a few hundred meters, it seems counter-intuitive to drop your 2nd best meter eater, who scored the only try in the previous game.

The way I see it Oates is containable . Yes metres . But a threat ? Going to beat a man or link up on the carry back ? Predictable . Easy to write a game play for kicking to his wing and it will be the same old .Concede 2-3 metres , but the defense is set and waiting . No surprises .

Then like I said ,corral the attack into one side of the field and compress the defense . Its not rocket science .

Billy / Gagai / Holmes . Hopefully we can get the ball to the middle 3rd of the field early in the count and have some options on both sides of the ruck to attack with . Thus spreading the defense .

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The way I see it Oates is containable . Yes metres . But a threat ? Going to beat a man or link up on the carry back ? Predictable . Easy to write a game play for kicking to his wing and it will be the same old .Concede 2-3 metres , but the defense is set and waiting . No surprises .

Then like I said ,corral the attack into one side of the field and compress the defense . Its not rocket science .

Billy / Gagai / Holmes . Hopefully we can get the ball to the middle rd of the field early in the count and have some options on both sides of the ruck to attack with . Thus spreading the defence .

That's Oates' job. Suck in defenders and try to pick up metres so our sets start off better. The key is to make the forwards trip back shorter and start off further up the field. I agree that Holmes is a gun attacker, but they'll all be trying to do the same thing as what Oates was doing anyway.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Yeah, but the shit heaped on NSW is justified.

You guys have only won one series in the past 11 years and after winning one game are acting like you're starting a fucking dynasty (check out the NSW media after game one). You haven't won shit yet.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Nothing against Oates . He does the job set for him .
Daley out game planned Kevvie is all .
I also remember Billy being monstered by NSW in his last game as well . Inglis played the next game and created momentum from the back .

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
I agree with the selection, it's time for Oates to go the forwards, broncos should tap Thaiday on the shoulder and start the process of blooding Jayden Sua TPJ and Oates in the forwards... hell Glenn can go aswell.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
I like Oates and he can consider himself very unlucky not to be in the team. But FWIW I think Holmes will give us more in attack.

I am beginning to wonder whether Oate's "hit up " returns are really sustainable in the long term. He takes a lot of hard tackles and it is hard to see him breaking through the line at this level.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Oates was definitely unlucky but I'm keen to see how Holmes goes. I don't see the fuss with the changes TBH, this has been coming for a few years. We are unfortunate atm that we have 5 genuine options for wing of which none stand out as obvious centre prospects.
We are still well served for back rowers and have emerging halves options but are short on props so will have to make do for a few years. 9 could be a problem soon too I suppose unless Smith plays till he is 40. Both Macca and Friend are already 27 so I'd say we will be debuting a 29/30 year old if Cam doesn't go early.

As has been pointed out before Mal knew when to get the **** out. Walters has been left with the transition job and if he didn't do part of it this year then next year would be finding replacements for Cronk and JT as well.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Wallace using the Burgess defence.

It really was an unavoidable situation. You can't expect a player not to come across in cover and by the time he realized the ball was coming back in, it was too late.

The shoulder charges by Burgess and James were worse, they were avoidable.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Pablo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.