OFFICIAL Game II Queensland Side

So it was (according to dumbshit media) the Broncos-aligned selectors faults that Boyd was picked at fullback, is the Oates snubbing now some kind of retribution? There is no logic to dropping him.
Leaving Oates out was the only really bad selection decision. I don't understand it. Plus, they probably should have picked Felise Kaufusi instead of Glasby.

Oates must be making a move into the forwards next season for sure then... Kevvie might know this and prefer to pick a winger who will stay there for a couple of years.

State of Origin 2017: Darius Boyd to start at left centre as Kevin Walters rings the changes

DARIUS Boyd will start at left centre for the first time in his Origin career as Queensland coach Kevin Walters takes a series of gambles to prevent the crash of a famous Maroons dynasty.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Boyd will be stripped of his beloved Queensland No.1 jumper and ordered to mark NSW Origin centre Josh Dugan in Origin II at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium.

Walters presided over Queensland’s biggest shake-up in 10 years, blooding four debutants and making seven changes overall for a death-or-glory clash next week.

Rocked by their 28-4 rout in Origin I, Queensland have officially turned to a new generation — handing debuts to Coen Hess, Valentine Holmes, Tim Glasby and Jarrod Wallace.

Such is the intrigue and upheaval surrounding the Maroons, Walters took the bizarre step of naming his 17-man squad in alphabetical order for the first time in Origin history.

The strategy has a multifaceted purpose, with Queensland keen to keep NSW guessing on the composition of their backline following the recall of Storm champion Billy Slater.

But The Courier-Mail has obtained Queensland’s starting backline for Origin II.

With Slater reclaiming the fullback spot, Walters will roll the dice by handing the No.3 jumper to Boyd, who has played none of his 27 Origin matches in the centres.

Boyd, Queensland’s fullback incumbent, has played just 21 of his 260 NRL games at centre.

He hasn’t played the position for eight years dating back to April 3, 2009 when he faced Justin Hodges in the Dragons’ 25-12 defeat of Brisbane.

But Walters is backing Boyd to muzzle Dugan. Will Chambers will be shifted to right centre — his preferred spot — to oppose Blues danger man Jarryd Hayne.

Test flyer Holmes will make his Maroons debut on the left wing outside Boyd, with Dane Gagai to remain on the right flank after amassing a superb 218 metres in Origin I.

Walters was tight-lipped about where he will play Boyd but is confident he has the backline strike weapons to blow NSW off the park and square the series.

“Over the next few days we will sort where he is going to play,” he said. “We have just picked 17 players who we feel are the best 17 for Queensland.”

A bullish Walters declared Queensland’s transition period is “right now” after six players were axed — winger Corey Oates, centre Justin O’Neill and forwards Sam Thaiday, Aidan Guerra, Nate Myles and Jacob Lillyman.

Not since 2006, when then coach Mal Meninga named seven new caps, have the Maroons encountered such bloodletting in their quest to retain Origin supremacy.

Walters concedes the Maroons were mauled in midfield by NSW in Origin I and says 114kg Cowboys debutant Hess represents the fresh muscle needed to standover the Blues.

“The transition period for Queensland is right now,” Walters said. “It’s no secret that we got beat up in the middle, our forwards didn’t aim up so we’ve made some changes there.

“The whole rugby league world knows Coen Hess is ready. He will bring some size, strength and power to our team.

“We feel the time is right to introduce some new players that will benefit Queensland rugby league.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/e5a3a53656c68957d95db33c6f9c875d

I don't like Papalii at prop. His biggest strength is his edge running, and just because he is a big body doesn't mean he is effective in the middle. Did the same with Thaiday, and he just wasn't as effective.

For me, aside from X Factors - their brilliance and unpredictability, the best football in any code is about combinations and I think this side has that. Slater and JT provide a good dose of X factor as well.

The ideal Qld spine is re-united, and Glasby, FWIW is also part of the Storm connection. Then there is the obvious terrific and well proven Test and origin JT-Cronk combo, and the Cowboys combination of JT-Cooper, Morgan and Hess.

Oates certainly didn't get dropped on form so much as, for mine, because Holmes is a natural winger whereas Corey is a manufactured winger albeit a very good one. Most of us here know that Oates is a back rower playing wing but not for much longer I'd say. Holmes to me is far more agile and explosive off the mark than Oates, at least as quick over longer distances, and really safe under the high ball.

I see Boyd and Holmes, if that happens, as a deadly combination, and Boyd's defence in the centres will fill a hole NSW exposed in Game 1.

I really rate this side. Can't wait to watch Hess and Gillo monster Pearce and Baloney.

Like I said earlier, first time he's been named there, but he's played at left centre regularly. Plays to everyone's strengths better. I just don't see how Holmes offers any more than Oates does.

NSW kicked to Oates all night long . Ever wondered why ? Predictable . Will run straight but not offload . So the chase can run down the middle of the field . Defend up and in and keep Qld in the left of the field . Easier to game plan for . A cpl of metres in contact . Then the NSW forwards are set and sweating on the runners coming next 2- 3 tackles .

Like I said earlier, first time he's been named there, but he's played at left centre regularly. Plays to everyone's strengths better. I just don't see how Holmes offers any more than Oates does.

21/260 games in the NRL have been at centre.

NSW kicked to Oates all night long . Ever wondered why ? Predictable . Will run straight but not offload . So the chase can run down the middle of the field . Defend up and in and keep Qld in the left of the field . Easier to game plan for . A cpl of metres in contact . Then the NSW forwards are set and sweating on the runners coming next 2- 3 tackles .

They kicked to him because they thought he was weak under the high ball. He then caught everything they threw at him and they changed tactics.

Stoked that Boyds playing at centre. Would have been a treat to see him an Oats combine on the edge.

One of the big things Queensland have attempted to fix is the rotating of forwards, Queensland averaged almost 10 minutes per game less at club level than the Blues.

We needed more 80 minute players. So we have less guys gassed. That's why I think Papalli will be benched not start.
We needed more 80 minute players yet we get Glasby who has played only 52 minutes at the most yet his teammate, Kaufusi has played 80 mins 11 out of 13 times this year, has scored 6 tries to Glasbys 1 and outweighs Glasby by 6 kilos. If we started with Kaufusi we would have had a big body able to play big minutes, 60+ if needed

We needed more 80 minute players yet we get Glasby who has played only 52 minutes at the most yet his teammate, Kaufusi has played 80 mins 11 out of 13 times this year, has scored 6 tries to Glasbys 1 and outweighs Glasby by 6 kilos. If we started with Kaufusi we would have had a big body able to play big minutes, 60+ if needed

Horses for courses ...
Glasby is a very good middle defender is what I heard .Tightening up the middle 3rd is a priority .

I think we will see Darius and Gagai interchange in attack and defense . Darius at centre in defense . Gagai in attack .

Last edited:
Dropping Oates screams of panic is just NSWesque, it has really ticked me off.

Can't understand why we dropped our last try scorer. It's not as if he was the reason the tries conceded

Can't understand why we dropped our last try scorer. It's not as if he was the reason the tries conceded
Because kevvie wanted slater back but didn't have the minerals to drop darius so oates the easy target. Darius will be wasted on the wing and for mine is untested at centre. Slater will be hammered on kicks and our wings will be working of the back foot . There was enough cHanges in forwards ... the backs were unnecesary apart from removing oneill. Holmes could have been a straight swsp for him. Think slaters form was over hyped by the media that was pushing for him. .his sharks game was pretty scratchy apart from his big play at the end which caused all to blow their loads. He dropped off tackles..couple of knock ons and kicks were poor...but hey its billy..he tries so much he's bound to make mistakes.... we didn't lose because of of the back three yet the best of them has now been dropped for the billy circus.

I don't understand all the talk of Cooper and the 80mins he provides. Papalli plays 80mins week in week out for the raiders (only gets rested when they're routing teams) and is probably the most damaging edge back rower in the comp at the moment.

They should've used this series to lock down our back row for the next 5 years (Papa, Gillett, McGuire) and have both edges playing 80 each game

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • Foordy
  • barker
  • Skathen
  • Dash
  • bazza
  • Santa
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • mitch222
  • Johnny92
  • ozzball
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Sproj
  • Old Mate
  • peter09
  • Ronald
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.