Game III teams

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Hodges
5. Gagai

I reckon Mal will go with that. Rest of the team likely to remain unchanged but Cronk coming in for DCE.

I'd like to see another big fella brought onto the bench though. Preferably Napa.

Yeah after thinking about it a bit more, I'd feel a lot safer with Chambers defending at left centre than Dane, but I'm very worried about the Hodges & Gagai combination defensively and under the high ball.

We also need to scrap this bench utility crap, NSW have shown in the first 2 games that 4 bench forwards is the way to go, they've dominated us each time, I'd be moving Sam to the bench as well, give us a bit of enthusiasm and aggression in the back end of the first half.

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Guerra
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Thaiday
15. Papalii
16. McGuire
17. Lillyman

We also need to scrap this bench utility crap, NSW have shown in the first 2 games that 4 bench forwards is the way to go

Couldn't disagree more. Last night Jackson came on late in the 2nd half and was rubbish.

The forwards don't get that tired that you need a 4th player. You are just giving more minutes to the shittiest player in the side usually.

Our problem was the we picked the wrong utility, not that we had a utility.

I'm not as afraid to pick DCE as some people on here are. I think he gives us real good value on the bench, just watch game 3 last year.

If Cronk is fit, this is the side I think that will be selected:

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Myles
11. Guerra
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Cherry-Evans
15. McGuire
16. Gillett
17. Lillyman

If Cronk isn't fit you'll see Cherry-Evans to 7 & Morgan to 14. Of course injuries could change things and it could also be dependent on who Mal thinks will replace Hodges at centre long term. If Chambers, he'll play centre, if Gagai, he'll play centre.

Couldn't disagree more. Last night Jackson came on late in the 2nd half and was rubbish.

The difference is that a 4th forward can come onto the field and relieve the other forwards on the field by taking some runs, making a load of tackles and putting pressure on the opposing teams kickers (Exactly what Cordner did last night). Morgan came on and tried his hardest but realistically if he was a Papalii or Napa we would've been a LOT better off.

It's also worth noting that people are proposing we use DCE as a bench utility in Game 3.. are you kidding me? He can't even defend soundly in the halves, and people want him to come on around the same time that Klemmer and co. come on and defend in the middle? He'll get fucking axed.

4 forwards on the bench is fine. If a half gets hurt, Smith can fill that gap and McGuire can play hooker.

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Thaiday
12. Guerra
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. McGuire
16. Papalii
17. Napa

We NEED Napa and Papa. We need the mongrel off the bench, both can deliver a big hit and Papa can break it open in attack.

I don't rate Gagai. There I said it. I want Oates in.

Why Oates? He isn't a first choice winger for the Broncos and hasn't been near a SOO camp yet.

Can you only change international allegiance if you've played for a country other than the top 3? I think you know who I'm alluding to, and while I think his form has a lot to do with the team, there is no way I want Gagai near the Qld side.

I have my reservations over Gagai's work out of dummy half but he's the logical choice at this stage and think he'll relish the opportunity.

Oates will play Origin someday, I'm tipping 2017 at the very latest but he's behind a few others at this stage.

The backrow needs to lift. Sam's performance has been rightfully critiqued but Guerra has seemingly received a pass for his relatively soft performance. It seems as if he's still riding the coat tails of scoring a couple of consolation tries in the dead rubber last year.

I'd really like to see Napa come into the side in place of Lillyman.

Nothing against Lillymans performances, but i just want to see what Napa can do if given a chance, we need some bigger, nastier bodies out there now.

Lets be serious for a moment. Anyone suggesting Oates for origin is purely looking at it this through his broncos glasses. There is literally no fucking chance Oates is going to get picked, nor should he. Hes played a handful of games on the wing (and in the nrl) and you want to throw him into a decider? Just dumb

Because it is a decider i dont believe they will risk gagai in the centres. QLD has a habit of blooding new players slowly, so they will bring him in on the wing where he wont have to make 20 tackles. Chambers will be centre, gagai will be wing.

The other option they may take however, and i hope they dont, is morgan to fullback. This would then let mal keep both morgan and dce which i have a bad feeling he wants to do.

Agree with all those wanting to bring in napa or papalii. Lillyman has no aggression and doesnt bend the line. he does his job quietly and safely, but NSW are going to be throwing everything they have at us. We have to fight fire with fire.

I dont mind if qld want to run with a bench utility, however, if no injuries occur, i think mal should just leave the utility player on the bench. Taking parker off just to bring on Morgan was absolutely stupid. Hes there to cover injuries, so let him do that and only that

Last edited:
Any chance they leave inglis where he is and play someone else at FB?

Means only one change to the back 5 instead of 2.

Not really sure who could play fb tho.

Any chance they leave inglis where he is and play someone else at FB?

Means only one change to the back 5 instead of 2.

Not really sure who could play fb tho.

see my post, im afraid they will play morgan there.

they may also move boyd, and bring gagai in on inglis' wing. actually could work. we wouldnt have hodges and gagai defending next to each other then.

much prefer inglis at the back tho, can chime in whenever he wants then

Gagai worries me because he has been in pretty ordinary form for Newcastle. I know people would criticise picking Oates at wing but its not a bad move. He is a strong runner, has good hands, decent size about him and a bit of toe. Plus, he would be on Hodges side so the defence wouldn't be that much of a worry. I would love to see a couple of wingers stand up for the next two games and demand selection because Gagai needs to earn it and not be the only option we have. We could blood Edrick Lee who would be a game breaker in my opinion

Inglis should definitely be at fullback. Let him pop up on the right and middle too, not just on the left.

Active Now

• Battler
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.