Gen Y footballer and his greed

Sigh ... I'm ancient enough to remember the days when sport was sport, and one played whatever code, for the love of playing the game, for your club, state or country.

Now it's no longer sport as such. First and foremost, it's market-driven profits for media, and other businesses, and that market pays and gets what that market can afford.

In the big picture, players are now really little more than pawns for the profiteers.

lockyer47 said:
Coxy said:
Wasn't having a go at you at all. Seriously if they want to go and chase the money and different lifestyle overseas, go for it. Hell, working and travelling from France would be awesome!

I actually don't begrudge them doing it.

My only gripe is the people doing it in underhanded means. If you get your club's blessing or you're off contract, good luck to you.

However, I think we do have to work to make the game remain attractive in Australia.

Im pumped, but EXACTLY my point!
But fans calling players traitors and ungrateful and this and that, and sorry Hammo but your original post implies that whole comparing with the Joe Blow 50k a year argument which I really, really hate. You are paid what you are worth, the Joe Blow is paid 50k because what he does is worth that much, if these NRL players can get paid much elsewhere how can you condemn/begrudge them for wanting to double/triple their salary? that is nonsense.

Dear lockyer47; no one has a problem with a players choice to head to foreign shores in search of coin. Good luck to them. Like Coxy has already stated elsewhere, most of us are actually envious of them. Working and travelling Europe, whilst earning $$$ is a great way of doing things.

The point of the thread, which you seemed to have missed, is;

They aren't getting paid peanuts in any man's language. They are actually earning quite good money and to hear moronic players (and let's face it, running the risk of stereotyping, not many players of a decent calibre have even been silly enough to have allowed themselves to be quoted during the debacle of the last week. And even less players, with a good head on their shoulders have) claiming they aren't earning enough money makes me laugh.

Hammo said:
disclaimer* I understand the argument that there is greater earning potential in other competitions, that argument is for another thread!

^^Your post is why I put this disclaimer. If they can earn better money.....go!!!! Go earn your full capacity overseas. No one begrudges them for the choice to do it (I still love Berrigan). I only hope these young players, realise what they have here in the NRL. The ability, when their short footy career is over, to look back and see that they achieved what they did, in the toughest Rugby (both comps) competition in the world.

And frankly, IMO, the young players that want the Rep glory do understand that. Which alludes to the point of my other thread; not many young greats have left.

P.S. RL players will only earn what they are worth, I agree. Now go ask any of the other professional sportmen/women in other sorts, without such a huge profile in Australia, what they think of NRL players whinging about the "little" amount of coin they make. They train just as hard and are just as committed, if not more so. The NRL is a custodian of the sport of RL. They have a responsibility to ensure the sucess and longevity of RL in Australia. If that means losing players in the short term, so be it. All this is actually now off topic and should be in the SBW thread.

Hammo, mate, I don't think players are claiming they don't make enough money. I'm sure they will concede that they are on six times the average wage of Australians are do okay.

BUT, in the grand scheme of things, they don't make that much money. If they could do a similar, but easier, job elsewhere for 5 times the amount of coin they're on now, then they're almost entitled to say they don't earn enough in this comp.

Imagine you work at a fruit and veg store stacking shelves for $65k per year, and then you find out that, doing the same job or even a little bit less work, you could earn $210k if you moved to another store. You'd certainly then tell your boss that you aren't earning enough where you are, despite the fact that $65k is above the average Australian wage and undoubtedly pretty damn good coin for the job!

Hammo said:
lockyer47 said:
Coxy said:
Wasn't having a go at you at all. Seriously if they want to go and chase the money and different lifestyle overseas, go for it. Hell, working and travelling from France would be awesome!

I actually don't begrudge them doing it.

My only gripe is the people doing it in underhanded means. If you get your club's blessing or you're off contract, good luck to you.

However, I think we do have to work to make the game remain attractive in Australia.

Im pumped, but EXACTLY my point!
But fans calling players traitors and ungrateful and this and that, and sorry Hammo but your original post implies that whole comparing with the Joe Blow 50k a year argument which I really, really hate. You are paid what you are worth, the Joe Blow is paid 50k because what he does is worth that much, if these NRL players can get paid much elsewhere how can you condemn/begrudge them for wanting to double/triple their salary? that is nonsense.

Dear lockyer47; no one has a problem with a players choice to head to foreign shores in search of coin. Good luck to them. Like Coxy has already stated elsewhere, most of us are actually envious of them. Working and travelling Europe, whilst earning $$$ is a great way of doing things.

The point of the thread, which you seemed to have missed, is;

They aren't getting paid peanuts in any man's language. They are actually earning quite good money and to hear moronic players (and let's face it, running the risk of stereotyping, not many players of a decent calibre have even been silly enough to have allowed themselves to be quoted during the debacle of the last week. And even less players, with a good head on their shoulders have) claiming they aren't earning enough money makes me laugh.

Hammo said:
disclaimer* I understand the argument that there is greater earning potential in other competitions, that argument is for another thread!

^^Your post is why I put this disclaimer. If they can earn better money.....go!!!! Go earn your full capacity overseas. No one begrudges them for the choice to do it (I still love Berrigan). I only hope these young players, realise what they have here in the NRL. The ability, when their short footy career is over, to look back and see that they achieved what they did, in the toughest Rugby (both comps) competition in the world.

And frankly, IMO, the young players that want the Rep glory do understand that. Which alludes to the point of my other thread; not many young greats have left.

P.S. RL players will only earn what they are worth, I agree. Now go ask any of the other professional sportmen/women in other sorts, without such a huge profile in Australia, what they think of NRL players whinging about the "little" amount of coin they make. They train just as hard and are just as committed, if not more so. The NRL is a custodian of the sport of RL. They have a responsibility to ensure the sucess and longevity of RL in Australia. If that means losing players in the short term, so be it. All this is actually now off topic and should be in the SBW thread.

Yeh fair enough, I agree about players saying they aren't earning enough but not chasing the dollar, if they think that way, I believe they have to make a deicison, either to stay in the NRL and earn whats available OR go looking elsewhere, agreed?
I just don't think the word 'greed' should be used loosely, It is highly objective. Cliche as it is, I suppose the grass is always greener.

I think you mean highly SUBJECTIVE. Not objective.
But take your point.

However, also have to point out that human opinion is most often subjectively formed based on their own experiences. Most of us haven't experienced earning $200K+ per annum, let alone being afford 5 times that.

Nor have we had a job which to us is a game or enjoyment. Most of us have elements of our jobs we hate, and yet we look at league players and think "that'd be orsm, nothing to not like there!". But we don't know that.

Subjectiveness. It's a fact of life.

I am completely sick of hearing players say that they derserve to be paid their 'market value'. Your market value is what the market is both prepared to pay AND can afford to pay - therefore I think all these players will find they are indeed being paid their market value here in the NRL. Yes many can get more money in Union or OS - but that is a different market, therefore you will have a different market value.

Coxy said:
I think you mean highly SUBJECTIVE. Not objective.
But take your point.

However, also have to point out that human opinion is most often subjectively formed based on their own experiences. Most of us haven't experienced earning $200K+ per annum, let alone being afford 5 times that.

Nor have we had a job which to us is a game or enjoyment. Most of us have elements of our jobs we hate, and yet we look at league players and think "that'd be orsm, nothing to not like there!". But we don't know that.

Subjectiveness. It's a fact of life.

oops, yes, subjective.
I posted that at work, ironically, a part time job I despise!!! haha.
Yes, the biggest incentive has to be getting paid for what you love doing.

Flutterby said:
I am completely sick of hearing players say that they derserve to be paid their 'market value'. Your market value is what the market is both prepared to pay AND can afford to pay - therefore I think all these players will find they are indeed being paid their market value here in the NRL. Yes many can get more money in Union or OS - but that is a different market, therefore you will have a different market value.

I think that's the argument of player managers (and therefore players). Their market is actually NRL, ESL, Super 14 and European RU, and NRL is just one employer. And they pay unders (in their opinion).

Coxy said:
Flutterby said:

I think that's the argument of player managers (and therefore players). Their market is actually NRL, ESL, Super 14 and European RU, and NRL is just one employer. And they pay unders (in their opinion).

Interesting thing about the "market".

Australia has a generally prosperous, Western-style mixed economy, with a per capita GDP slightly higher than that of the UK, Germany, and France in terms of purchasing power parity.

So maybe it IS the fact that NRL is really nationally and internationally, too small to attract big dollars?

And is there a place for parochialism in the world of international Capital markets?

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • davidp
  • Jazza
  • MrRobot
  • Broncos Maestro
  • GCBRONCO
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Spooky1013
  • Cavalo
  • ezpz
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Fatboy
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncs30
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.