General Ben Barba discussion

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
DALLY M champion Ben Barba has been suspended by the Bulldogs.

The club today posted a statement on its website revealing behaviour issues were behind the decision.

The statement read:

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have today confirmed that Ben Barba will be suspended indefinitely from all contractual duties until further notice.

The Club has also advised the National Rugby League today that Ben will not participate in the NRL’s season launch on Wednesday night where he was due to officially open the 2013 season.

The decision to suspend Ben indefinitely comes after the Club was informed of a number of behavioural issues.

“Whilst we all know the undoubted on-field attributes and abilities that Ben displays, we must always maintain our focus on the more important issues of personal development and accountability,” Chief Executive Officer Todd Greenberg said.

“It is our hope that the media and the many rugby league fans understand and respect the need for privacy in order for Ben and his family to make the relevant adjustments that are required for him to return to the playing field.”

Please find below a statement from Ben Barba in relation to his indefinite suspension from all duties with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs:

“Today is a very difficult day for me as I feel I’ve let my family, children, Club and supporters down.

“My issues relate to seeking help for personal issues that I face day to day.

“I’m incredibly sad to be stepping aside as I’ve been so blessed with what’s happened to me over the past few years, but I feel as though I would be wearing a mask if I didn’t confront the matters I’ve been dealing with until now.

“I feel it is best to deal with these problems front on and I believe that by doing so this will make me a better person and player in the future.

“This will be a step by step process for me and whilst I hope to return to football soon, I hope that through this next period you can respect my privacy so that sooner rather than later I can return to playing rugby league as best I can.

“When I do, I hope that everybody sees a better person.”

When they lose a game, I see him being straight back in the team.

Re: Ben Barba stood down indefinitely..

Merged

Last edited:
Re: Ben Barba stood down indefinitely..

Haha I was refreshing the page as I was doing it in case someone else had beat me to it and nothing was coming up. As I clicked post yours shows up!

What are the chances aha

Re: Ben Barba stood down

For a club to do this with a player of his quality, it has to be serious.

WOW! This sounds bad. I mean the bulldogs have no problems in covering things up so it must be big if they are suspending there best player. Although like Nashy says if they start losing im sure that suspension will be lifted.

I find the whole statement quite confusing. The statements from the club suggest serious transgressions, maybe even verging on criminal. Whereas ben's statements read something like someone suffering serious mental health issues... although both could be linked I guess. In either case its quite unexpeted

For a club to do this with a player of his quality, it has to be serious.

100% agree. I was trying to make that point in my rambled comment below, you have said it much more effectively haha. But I agree I think this must be bloody serious because you dont leave out a Ben Barba for missing training or getting into a biff etc

Sounds like he has had a gambling problem and he split up with his long term Girlfriend.

The rumour floating around is he assaulted his GF, Hopefully he can get the help he needs and come back.

The rumour floating around is he assaulted his GF, Hopefully he can get the help he needs and come back.

This is what I thought might have happened. I'm not going to make too many assumptions until more facts come out, but if he has assaulted her then I would be a hypocrite if I said I hope he comes back. I still think it is bull**** that Robert Lui is back playing so I don't think I could wish Barba well just because he is an awesome player. Everyone deserves a second chance I guess but violence against women is completely unacceptable IMO

If he did assault his girlfriend I hope he's banned for life. Can't cop any bloke who abuses his partner.

We are on the same thought plane today Coxy haha

If he did assault his girlfriend I hope he's banned for life. Can't cop any bloke who abuses his partner.

Would need to know the full story first naturally, Did she start it and he fought back? We all know regardless of who starts it the male is always in the wrong anyway ;)

Yeah if he assaulted his missus or ex missus he has to go. We can't keep letting footballers get away with these types of things.

https://twitter.com/AndrewVoss9

Bulldogs media conference at 1.30.Reports Barba has problems with gambling and handling breakup with partner who is mum to his 2 children.

_____

You would hate to be the face of RL, it's a curse.

Last edited:

We are on the same thought plane today Coxy haha

Greg Inglis anybody :winky:

I can't tolerate violence against woman either, and fully commend the Bulldogs for taking this action.

Barba was quickly becoming the face of the game, so if these allegations are true, they really had to hand down some severe punishment.

Yeah, Inglis still makes me uncomfortable that he completely got away with it.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Culhwch
  • Manifesto
  • Hoof Hearted
  • leon.bott
  • Jedhead
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Organix
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • LittleDavey
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.